Nursing in Oz - where do I start?!

Old Jan 19th 2015, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

kt4gerrard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in Oz - where do I start?!

Hi,

I have been a qualified RN (adult) for nearly 4 years and my Husband and I are considering a move to Australia.

I am therefore right at the beginning of the process of applying for visa etc.

I can't find a simple step by step guide anywhere! Has anyone got any advice of what I need to do first? I'm thinking that I need to sit my IELTS (booked for Feb) first, but after that...

Do I get Nursing registration first? Or my visa? Both say they need the other so I'm a little confused! Maybe it's better using an agency?

If you can help with a simple 'point in the right direction', I can then get down to the nitty gritty!

Thank you
Old Jan 19th 2015, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

AbesUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing in Oz - where do I start?!

Are you BSc or Diploma qualified?
Old Jan 20th 2015, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Degree
Old Jan 20th 2015, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on what/where you are looking at. I always advise candidates to get AHPRA first, because without that, you can't do anything.

Many private hospitals are still offering Visa sponsorship, and if you go down that route, you don't neet to do either IELTS or ANMAC. The downside of that is that you are tied to the sponsoring hospital for at least 4 years.

If you are going for a PR visa, then some will say do IELTS and ANMAC first, but there are a LOT of UK nurses who have got a visa, submitted thir forms to AHPRA, arrived in Oz, only to find they can't get registration.

If you have IELTS booked, I'd advise that you go ahead and do it - but i would get on with your AHPRA registration ASAP becausee they can be a little "difficult" as many on here have found.

If you would like some advice on vacancies, do get in touch.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Thank you genorm, that's a great help.

I will get onto my AHPRA application as a matter of urgency.
Do I then get applying for visas? When my AHPRA registration is granted, does that make me able to work in Aus professionally, I then just need to get a visa for immigration?

The AHPRA application does state that I do not need IELTS as I have proof that I have studied English for 5+ years in the UK, and if I don't have to pay the £150 to sit it I'd rather not!

I am currently working in Gynaecology in the UK and would love to stay in the speciality if possible.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt4gerrard
Thank you genorm, that's a great help.

I will get onto my AHPRA application as a matter of urgency.
Do I then get applying for visas? When my AHPRA registration is granted, does that make me able to work in Aus professionally, I then just need to get a visa for immigration?

The AHPRA application does state that I do not need IELTS as I have proof that I have studied English for 5+ years in the UK, and if I don't have to pay the £150 to sit it I'd rather not!

I am currently working in Gynaecology in the UK and would love to stay in the speciality if possible.
You can only apply for a PR visa with a valid skills assessment from ANMAC but if you do AHPRA first it can be an easier process (Only going form what read here not experience).

You may not need IELTS for the assessment but if looking at PR you may need it for points for the visa. If this is the case, you can do general IELTS for DIBP instead of Academic.
Old Jan 28th 2015, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You can only apply for a PR visa with a valid skills assessment from ANMAC but if you do AHPRA first it can be an easier process (Only going form what read here not experience).

You may not need IELTS for the assessment but if looking at PR you may need it for points for the visa. If this is the case, you can do general IELTS for DIBP instead of Academic.
Hi old sparkles,

I will be starting the process soon too and I will need IELTS to get the maximum points. I thought it was the Academic test I needed to do, but I'm not sure now. Is it the general test I need to do then? Cheers.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 4:57 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all your help.

Are there any other Visa options without going straight for the PR? Or is that what you would recommend? I know the WHV only allows you to work for 6 months of a year so not sure that will be any good (as looking to go and work full time to afford to live!) How easy is it to convert to a PR once I'm over there?
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:36 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Hi old sparkles,

I will be starting the process soon too and I will need IELTS to get the maximum points. I thought it was the Academic test I needed to do, but I'm not sure now. Is it the general test I need to do then? Cheers.
If you need IELTS for your assessment then it needs to be the Academic test. I think there are exceptions to taking IELTS for ANMAC / AHPRA so if you only need IELTS for points then it can be the general test if you choose
Old Jan 29th 2015, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by kt4gerrard
Thank you for all your help.

Are there any other Visa options without going straight for the PR? Or is that what you would recommend? I know the WHV only allows you to work for 6 months of a year so not sure that will be any good (as looking to go and work full time to afford to live!) How easy is it to convert to a PR once I'm over there?
Other options instead of PR would be the 457 if you can get employer sponsorship. This is a temporary visa valid for up to 4 years, but if you lose your job you have 90 days to find a new one or leave the country.

Most people would choose PR as a first option I think