nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Old Jun 10th 2007, 4:03 pm
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice
Default Re: nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Originally Posted by asher
only if they buy them back off you surely otherwise a total rip off
hi

where i worked in victoria they actually give you money(cant remember how much though) to buy the uniforms instead which i thought was cool. i also liked the idea that you can wear shorts as long as you like.

des
Old Jun 10th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

fiona021 will become famous soon enoughfiona021 will become famous soon enough

I think my legs in shorts would make some people sicker.
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
hi

where i worked in victoria they actually give you money(cant remember how much though) to buy the uniforms instead which i thought was cool. i also liked the idea that you can wear shorts as long as you like.

des
At our place, they give permanent staff who have been there for a specified period (quite a long one), some subsidy to buy their uniforms. Not for casuals though. My uniform top is polyester (hell for working in QLD in a ward without airconditioning!!) and is like a simple t shirt you might buy in Millers - with a tiny logo. Uniforms are compulsory, so I was miffed at having to spend around $50 on that. Bought my own navy trousers - wasn't interested in their plain, navy polyester jobs at over $80 per pair!! Can get the same in Millers for $15
Don't know of any casuals who have been ordered to hand over their uniforms on leaving (what would they do with them new nurses are made to buy their own - maybe it's so they keep the logo safe ), but the policy was made clear on induction!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Margaret3
must be an english thing then, but from english nurses i had worked with in scotland, said we were much better staffed. In aus i have found it much shorter staffed and the drs expect us to be hand maidens, i, but it is probably, as with everything down to where, when and which hosp, state, etc, etc
I agree. Came from Glasgow to Sydney, been here 2 years. Recently watched a programme on UKTV called "life on mars". Have only seen 3 episodes and feel so sorry for the bloke 'cause I know exactly how he is feeling !I'm sure just before every shift I go into work, I'm hit by a car just outside the hospital doors and transported back to 1970's !!!But HEY !!!! The sun still shines !
All the best, Tass.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:08 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, all,
I was wondering what the setup is with nursing in oz in regards to grading/banding, ie do they have a similar system, or how does it work??

Im in the middle of filling out my nsw registration form and tryin to remain motivated
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:23 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by penky
Hi, all,
I was wondering what the setup is with nursing in oz in regards to grading/banding, ie do they have a similar system, or how does it work??

Im in the middle of filling out my nsw registration form and tryin to remain motivated
from what i can gather staff nurses are RN division 1 and are payed according to years experience from 1-9 eg if your qualified 3 yrs you would be RN div 3. Sisters are RN2. hope this helps x
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:40 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
from what i can gather staff nurses are RN division 1 and are payed according to years experience from 1-9 eg if your qualified 3 yrs you would be RN div 3. Sisters are RN2. hope this helps x
thanks for that

do you know if they take uk experience into account, ive been qualified for 8 years now
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penky
thanks for that

do you know if they take uk experience into account, ive been qualified for 8 years now
yes they do
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

This site has the info on conditions and the new payscales, but is for Queensland. I'm sure the other states will be similar.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/docs/eb6t2006.pdf

page 17 has the pay scales

Last edited by tracey.d; Jun 13th 2007 at 4:48 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2007, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tass
I agree. Came from Glasgow to Sydney, been here 2 years. Recently watched a programme on UKTV called "life on mars". Have only seen 3 episodes and feel so sorry for the bloke 'cause I know exactly how he is feeling !I'm sure just before every shift I go into work, I'm hit by a car just outside the hospital doors and transported back to 1970's !!!But HEY !!!! The sun still shines !
All the best, Tass.

Keep watching i have saw both series in the uk and imo its one of the best programmes ever made, it made me laugh so much, especially Gene
p.s i also feel a bit like you , the surgeons i have worked with so far are shit hot, but my gawwwd surely they can put their on gloves on!!!,
Old Jun 20th 2007, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
dosent work like that here i'm afraid! i'm NO1 6 was G grade in uk you have to apply for NO2 and above. good luck
Old Jan 10th 2008, 7:00 pm
Vickie

vickie will become famous soon enoughvickie will become famous soon enough

Hi Can anyone tell me, if the 8 years I have spent nursing in orthopaedics (in which I have gained orthopaedic nurse certificates) will be considered when applying for work in NSW? or will I have to start at the beginning- which is what I am expecting to do?
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Dr Spock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Des
hi all

forgot to mention that was the salary for an rpn2 year 5 in victoria and salary sacrifising is fantastic for tax purposes. cant wait to resign from the nhs on july 1 and rejoin the hopspital in melbourne on a permanent bases.

all the best to those who are making the move for me it was so good that i worked those 2 months i was in melbourne i got first hand experiance on the workings of forensic mental health in victoria.(work in forensic here in london hence not much of a difference still strong emphasis on risk assessment/security/meds/therapies both sides) i just went with an open mind without thinking about comparing. just a few differences in meds but most psychotropic mes are the same worldwide generally so it was easy to adapt.

all the best

des

Des,

Did you by any chance work for Forensicare ? If you did some info would be nice!
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Originally Posted by vickie
Hi Can anyone tell me, if the 8 years I have spent nursing in orthopaedics (in which I have gained orthopaedic nurse certificates) will be considered when applying for work in NSW? or will I have to start at the beginning- which is what I am expecting to do?
....depends where you work. As a rule of thumb so far, you will get payed as an RN8 thereafter, if you have enough hours - 1982 for each increment and they will not automatically transfer your post reg qualifications, well the clinical ones anyway. You will have to re-sit some of the stuff.Also , what kind of post are you thinking of applying for ?If you have uni post reg qualifications then they will probably consider them if you are thinkng of applying for educator or management.You might be lucky and be somewhere that will support an application for CNS with your experience although I have my doubts.Regardless of all this , you will find that you are more experienced than your boss and very few of your collegues will actually have any or as much post reg qualifications or clinical experience in orthopaedics as you have !!! If you have no restrications on what hours you can work and despite starting on the floor, the opportunities will be there for you to be promoted quickly......if you're interested. Hope this helps.
All the best,Tass.x
P.S. This is for NSW , I cannot speak for the other states.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 1:14 pm
Vickie

vickie will become famous soon enoughvickie will become famous soon enough

Thanks Tass,

Just looking to do ward based nursing initially whilst we settle (the husband and our 2 boys-ages 6 and 3), ideally in orthopaedics as medicine and surgery scare me after all these years! We're hoping to move north west of sydney so the NSW info helps (just lots of info to take in!). I've had my letter of determination from the AMNC and have sent off for our visa, hopefully will hear soon, we,ve only received a letter of receipt so far...

Would you know when and how do I need to apply to the NSW nursing board?

Thanks,

Vickie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.