nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Ches will become famous soon enoughChes will become famous soon enough
Default Re: nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Hi,

Have worked in both Oz (5yrs) & UK (7yrs) and Oz wins hands down.
Less patients. Better health system/had never had to thrombolise a pt in Oz as all went straight to primary angioplasty......god forbid they would be put in the back of an ambulance mid MI to be transfered somewhere with angio facilites like over here in the UK!. Nurses seem to be trained to a different standard and alot more is expected of the nurses (not in a scary way, just a way that makes everyone raise the bar and be competent). Drs give you way more respect, so does the general public.Things more relaxed and less hectic which gives you more time with the patients.
If you work in the country i am guessing it would be a little behind but i think that happens anywhere that is remote.
If your thinking of doing it, go for it. I don't think anyone would regret it, even if it wasn't for them forever.
j
Old Jun 4th 2007, 9:47 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ches
Hi,

Less patients. Better health system/had never had to thrombolise a pt in Oz as all went straight to primary angioplasty......god forbid they would be put in the back of an ambulance mid MI to be transfered somewhere with angio facilites like over here in the UK!. Nurses seem to be trained to a different standard and alot more is expected of the nurses (not in a scary way, just a way that makes everyone raise the bar and be competent). Drs give you way more respect, so does the general public.Things more relaxed and less hectic which gives you more time with the patients.
If you work in the country i am guessing it would be a little behind but i think that happens anywhere that is remote.
If your thinking of doing it, go for it. I don't think anyone would regret it, even if it wasn't for them forever.
j
Hi Ches thanks for that

where do you work in Oz?
Old Jun 5th 2007, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by annqldau
Not that you can tell who the EN's are as they all where the same uniform....

Quite agree it's nice to have breakfast in the warmth and to be able to look out on nice view.
Not in WA they dont. The EN's are in Blue while the RN's are in white. yes it's lovely to have nice veiws from work, not quite the same as the views in Manchester
Tracie
Old Jun 5th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Canuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really niceCanuck Fan is just really nice

Originally Posted by shonalouise
I am currently an Emergency Department Nurse in a small hospital on the Central Coast. Moved out here in August, started work in September on the New Grad Nurse programme as only qualified March 06. Have found work practices very similar, only thing I had to really get used to was the different drug names as they prescribe in trade names rather than generic. With regard to HCA'a, I miss them every time I do a shower or answer a buzzer! You have a smaller nurse patient ratio, 5 on an early and six on a late but you provide all their care so you are just as busy! I have also noticed that all the patients are expected to shower every other day and every four bedded room and single rooms have showers. In the UK there were two showers for the entire ward and mostly people had bedside washes unless they were independent. In my experience I have found the doctors much more approachable than UK and more open to listening to your opinion and letting you participate in decision making but i'm sure this varies greatly. Ward rounds are painful as there is no nurse goes with them and so you rarely find out in any changes in patient care until near the end of your shift when you are writing their notes and find out they were changed from NBM to full diet and you starved them for the duration of your shift! If anybody has any other questions I will be happy to answer them but I have been thus far incredibly happy with my decision to nurse here. In the news there are 127 redundancies looming in the trust I trained for and no jobs for newly qualified nurses, no idea where I would be if I had stayed!
A very good, balanced posting. Excellent.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Ches will become famous soon enoughChes will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by asher
Hi Ches thanks for that

where do you work in Oz?
Hi Asher,

I work in the UK. Trying to get back to Oz desperately! When in Oz i worked in Sydney.
If your thinking of it, give it a go. If it doesn't work out jump back on the plane and re-join where you left off.
x
Old Jun 5th 2007, 7:51 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

I am currently an Emergency Department Nurse in a small hospital on the Central Coast. Moved out here in August, started work in September on the New Grad Nurse programme as only qualified March 06. Have found work practices very similar, only thing I had to really get used to was the different drug names as they prescribe in trade names rather than generic. With regard to HCA'a, I miss them every time I do a shower or answer a buzzer! You have a smaller nurse patient ratio, 5 on an early and six on a late but you provide all their care so you are just as busy! I have also noticed that all the patients are expected to shower every other day and every four bedded room and single rooms have showers. In the UK there were two showers for the entire ward and mostly people had bedside washes unless they were independent. In my experience I have found the doctors much more approachable than UK and more open to listening to your opinion and letting you participate in decision making but i'm sure this varies greatly. Ward rounds are painful as there is no nurse goes with them and so you rarely find out in any changes in patient care until near the end of your shift when you are writing their notes and find out they were changed from NBM to full diet and you starved them for the duration of your shift! If anybody has any other questions I will be happy to answer them but I have been thus far incredibly happy with my decision to nurse here. In the news there are 127 redundancies looming in the trust I trained for and no jobs for newly qualified nurses, no idea where I would be if I had stayed!

hi shona louise,

which hospital do you work in? im in the process of applying for a spouse visa just now and we might be coming to the central coast, possibily wyong, i too am an accident and emergency nurse,
from your post it sounds like the patients stay in a/e for several days, is this right? and is it the norm??
Old Jun 7th 2007, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future
Smile Re: nursing in oz, whats it actually like??

Originally Posted by penky
hi shona louise,

which hospital do you work in? im in the process of applying for a spouse visa just now and we might be coming to the central coast, possibily wyong, i too am an accident and emergency nurse,
from your post it sounds like the patients stay in a/e for several days, is this right? and is it the norm??
Hi I am working at Wyong Hospital which a small hospital, the ED sees about 44,000 patients per year (274 bed hospital). I have based my post on the experience I have gained from my New Grad rotations and not just the ED, they often stay overnight and maybe for 24 hours if there are no beds but no longer. I didn't work in ED in UK but here it is split into 7 acute beds, 12 sub-acute beds, resus, 4 paeds beds and 4 house doctor cubicles. Acute is mainly the triage category 2 and patients who need closer monitoring and two nurses in there look after a 3 and 4 patient split. Sub-acute is triage 3,4&5 who are usually not too sick and you look after a room of four patients. This is usually incredibly busy and you can look after 12 or more patients per shift. The kids room takes a wide array of kids and we do not have Paeds ward they either transfer out or go home, very sick kids go into resus and are choppered out. House Doctor is just for people who should go to their local doctor but don't. Wyong Hospital is a trauma bypass which means that as we have no ICU we don't take severe injuries from accidents that can be likely saved, they usually go by helicopter to Gosford, we get the lost causes.

Everybody works 12 hour shifts, a mix of days and nights and 3 per week and a 4th every six weeks. This means you get loads of days off and the occassional run of 8 days off which is nice. I have to say that I love everything about the ED and Wyong is a lovely hospital to work at, I cannot sing its praises enough. I have been made to feel welcome from the outset and have never felt like an outsider. Some people have the opinion that some of the staff have big egos but I think that is the same in any ED.

If you would like any further information, please contact me I will be happy to help.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ches
Hi,

j

must be an english thing then, but from english nurses i had worked with in scotland, said we were much better staffed. In aus i have found it much shorter staffed and the drs expect us to be hand maidens, i, but it is probably, as with everything down to where, when and which hosp, state, etc, etc
Old Jun 7th 2007, 3:09 pm
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi I am working at Wyong Hospital which a small hospital, the ED sees about 44,000 patients per year (274 bed hospital). I have based my post on the experience I have gained from my New Grad rotations and not just the ED, they often stay overnight and maybe for 24 hours if there are no beds but no longer. I didn't work in ED in UK but here it is split into 7 acute beds, 12 sub-acute beds, resus, 4 paeds beds and 4 house doctor cubicles. Acute is mainly the triage category 2 and patients who need closer monitoring and two nurses in there look after a 3 and 4 patient split. Sub-acute is triage 3,4&5 who are usually not too sick and you look after a room of four patients. This is usually incredibly busy and you can look after 12 or more patients per shift. The kids room takes a wide array of kids and we do not have Paeds ward they either transfer out or go home, very sick kids go into resus and are choppered out. House Doctor is just for people who should go to their local doctor but don't. Wyong Hospital is a trauma bypass which means that as we have no ICU we don't take severe injuries from accidents that can be likely saved, they usually go by helicopter to Gosford, we get the lost causes.

Everybody works 12 hour shifts, a mix of days and nights and 3 per week and a 4th every six weeks. This means you get loads of days off and the occassional run of 8 days off which is nice. I have to say that I love everything about the ED and Wyong is a lovely hospital to work at, I cannot sing its praises enough. I have been made to feel welcome from the outset and have never felt like an outsider. Some people have the opinion that some of the staff have big egos but I think that is the same in any ED.

If you would like any further information, please contact me I will be happy to help.
Hey shona louise, thank you so much,

it sounds like quite a good dept, quite similar to the a/e that im in just now, we too have no paeds so have to transfer them out if they are really sick or require admission, altho we are the trauma centre in the area and have an icu, so we do get quite sickies.
Im so glad you do 12 hour shifts , everyone else ive spoken to about nursing in oz has told me its only core shifts ie early, late, nights, that they do out there and i was dreading going back to that!!

Have only just started applying for visa so not sure when ill be out. Husband is aussie, and has family both in sydney and central coast, so havent fully decided where we ll go yet, one or the other or inbetween maybe!!
Old Jun 7th 2007, 4:44 pm
Up Around the Bend

ooh, also meant to ask,

what are the uniforms like??

on neighbours and home and away (yes i am that sad!) the nurses seem to wear some sort of white blouse and baggy shorts/cullotes type things - they dont look that great i have to say, but then again, maybe anythings better than my "rustling" and crinkly A&E shellsuit that somehow is boiling in summer and freezing in winter!!
Old Jun 8th 2007, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

shonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant futureshonalouise has a brilliant future

i wear navy scrubs which are very comfortable. There is a corporate uniform which is various patterned blouses with navy skirt, trousers or shorts, not keen on them at all. You also have to pay for all your uniforms, I have just spent $250 on 3 sets of scrubs. Corporate blouses were over $100 each which I think is a real rip off.
Old Jun 8th 2007, 7:49 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

i wear navy scrubs which are very comfortable. There is a corporate uniform which is various patterned blouses with navy skirt, trousers or shorts, not keen on them at all. You also have to pay for all your uniforms, I have just spent $250 on 3 sets of scrubs. Corporate blouses were over $100 each which I think is a real rip off.
Is it common in all hospitals to have pay for uniforms?
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to buy my corporate uniform (expensive, unattractive, impractical rip off!!), although I'm casual and the hospital policy says that when you leave, the uniforms are hospital property
Old Jun 9th 2007, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
I had to buy my corporate uniform (expensive, unattractive, impractical rip off!!), although I'm casual and the hospital policy says that when you leave, the uniforms are hospital property
Thats a bit rubbish
Old Jun 10th 2007, 10:49 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
only if they buy them back off you surely otherwise a total rip off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.