Nursing - hours & shift patterns in oz?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:12 am
semi-pom

semi-pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing - hours & shift patterns in oz?

Hi there everyone,

Can anyone please let me know what the shift patterns and hours are like in Oz? Do you get part time jobs that would fit well around school going children? I ask because with the earlies, lates or nights pattern here means that you can still help with the kids. In US I have heard they work 12 hour shifts which is makes a mum pretty exclusive for family life.

I have done a search on seek and there seems to suggest there are plenty of part time and casual positions - but if you can shed some light on a full time shift roster that would be awesome!

Thanks a mil!
Old Jul 11th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Huggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really niceHuggkat is just really nice
Default Re: Nursing - hours & shift patterns in oz?

Originally Posted by semi-pom
Hi there everyone,

Can anyone please let me know what the shift patterns and hours are like in Oz? Do you get part time jobs that would fit well around school going children? I ask because with the earlies, lates or nights pattern here means that you can still help with the kids. In US I have heard they work 12 hour shifts which is makes a mum pretty exclusive for family life.

I have done a search on seek and there seems to suggest there are plenty of part time and casual positions - but if you can shed some light on a full time shift roster that would be awesome!

Thanks a mil!

Hi Semi-pom,

Don't think there are any set patterns throughout Australia, however, I can let you know that for a couple of places I've been looking into, they do 4, 8 or 12 hour shifts - don't know exact timings yet but they seem very flexible.

Kat xx
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:41 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Huggkat
Hi Semi-pom,

Don't think there are any set patterns throughout Australia, however, I can let you know that for a couple of places I've been looking into, they do 4, 8 or 12 hour shifts - don't know exact timings yet but they seem very flexible.

Kat xx
Where I am it is mainly 8 our shifts (even the night shift!) some ward areas do 12 hour shift but this is not as common as the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:37 pm
semi-pom

Thanks so much for your replies! Really appreciated!

x
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

spaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to allspaceys is a name known to all

HI,

I work the 8 hr shifts and then 10 hrs for a night shift so earlies, lates and nights. just work 32 hrs a wk so 4 days which suits me just fine
Old Jul 15th 2008, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by spaceys
HI,

I work the 8 hr shifts and then 10 hrs for a night shift so earlies, lates and nights. just work 32 hrs a wk so 4 days which suits me just fine
Yeah, I do the same, 8 hour earlies 7- 3.30pm (tho always off early!) 13.30 to 22.00 late and 21.30 to 07.30 night.
I didn't have a job when I arrived in Tassie and when I had my "interview" I was able to choose how many days a week I wanted (4)...
Cathy woring in ITU/CCU Launceston General Hospital Tassie... and loving it!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 5:35 am
semi-pom

O that sounds great - 4 day week! Thanks for the info, Ladies.
Specially interested in the Gold Coast region - lived there for a year and still don't know why we came back blighty?!?

Enjoy your day!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud ofireland has much to be proud of

HI

Where I am, Townsville the shifts are 7-3.30, 12.30-9pm, 2.30-22.45 and nights are 22.45 -07.15, , hope this helps
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:45 am
semi-pom

Originally Posted by ireland
HI

Where I am, Townsville the shifts are 7-3.30, 12.30-9pm, 2.30-22.45 and nights are 22.45 -07.15, , hope this helps

Ta for that Ireland...appreciate the response...