Nursing degree in two years but apel the first year

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Simon7250 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing degree in two years but apel the first year

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could offer some advice regarding my nursing qualification and whether it would be accepted abroad to work. I will explain my situation as i go through my post.

I am a registered adult nurse and have worked in a cardiac hospital for well over a year now. So I should have two years experience by the end of summer 2017.

Eager to move abroad with my nursing, i am not so sure if i can now. I took a university post graduate masters degree in pre reg nursing which was completed in two years. I have previously studied undergraduate courses in business and completed this years ago before deciding to go into nursing. At the time uni said i could do the nursing masters pre reg as i already have an undergrad BA degree.

So usually nursing courses will run over three years but this one was done in two as what would be the first year of a nursing degree was completed through aquired prior early learning (apel) and where I had to produce a portfolio. I had to prove through signed referencing by a nurse of nurse manager that i could do certain aspects of what would be expected from a first year undergraduate nursing student. I worked as a health care assistant and was able to have this portfolio signed when being observed practicing a certain skill/task over 6 months.

This portfolion once completed was assessed by the uni and health authority. I passed this part and went onto start the two years and come out with my degree and become a registered nurse at the end.

The uni course i did was a goverment programme to get more health visitors (HV) but i decided to do the two years instead of going onto do the HV course and become a nurse which would then have made it a three year course.

Health authorities abroad say they want a three year programme but mine was done in two but the very first year i completed it through apel and the uni says this makes it three years.

I know to enquire with the local health authorities i want to work under abroad and i am in the process of contacting them to find out more. But i would be interested to learn if anyone is in the same position or has been and how you managed this? Or if anyone has any advise they could offer regarding this.

I am at the early stages of the process of applying to work abroad. I am aiming for the UAE, Qatar or Australia as places to work, but UAE is my main choice.

Thabks for reading and hope to hear back from someone.

Simon
Old Feb 4th 2017, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

SkLocke12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing degree in two years but apel the first year

HI,

I'm in a similar situation and struggling to find any information - have you found out anything? We are interested in Australia.

Thanks for your time

Sam

Originally Posted by Simon7250
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone could offer some advice regarding my nursing qualification and whether it would be accepted abroad to work. I will explain my situation as i go through my post.

I am a registered adult nurse and have worked in a cardiac hospital for well over a year now. So I should have two years experience by the end of summer 2017.

Eager to move abroad with my nursing, i am not so sure if i can now. I took a university post graduate masters degree in pre reg nursing which was completed in two years. I have previously studied undergraduate courses in business and completed this years ago before deciding to go into nursing. At the time uni said i could do the nursing masters pre reg as i already have an undergrad BA degree.

So usually nursing courses will run over three years but this one was done in two as what would be the first year of a nursing degree was completed through aquired prior early learning (apel) and where I had to produce a portfolio. I had to prove through signed referencing by a nurse of nurse manager that i could do certain aspects of what would be expected from a first year undergraduate nursing student. I worked as a health care assistant and was able to have this portfolio signed when being observed practicing a certain skill/task over 6 months.

This portfolion once completed was assessed by the uni and health authority. I passed this part and went onto start the two years and come out with my degree and become a registered nurse at the end.

The uni course i did was a goverment programme to get more health visitors (HV) but i decided to do the two years instead of going onto do the HV course and become a nurse which would then have made it a three year course.

Health authorities abroad say they want a three year programme but mine was done in two but the very first year i completed it through apel and the uni says this makes it three years.

I know to enquire with the local health authorities i want to work under abroad and i am in the process of contacting them to find out more. But i would be interested to learn if anyone is in the same position or has been and how you managed this? Or if anyone has any advise they could offer regarding this.

I am at the early stages of the process of applying to work abroad. I am aiming for the UAE, Qatar or Australia as places to work, but UAE is my main choice.

Thabks for reading and hope to hear back from someone.

Simon
Old Feb 4th 2017, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sam,

No new info my end. I have emailed recruitment firms and gov health orgs in the country i want to work with no reply.

I have also emailed my uni but answer either. It is getting a little fustrating.

There is someone at work who has been through all this (she has the three year degree) so will see what she says.

I am keen to work in the Middle East it seems interesting place. But once i have more info i will reply here again. Likewise if you find out more please do let me know.

It's crazy i a reg general nurse almost two years experience and work in ITU you think that might put me in some good sted.

Good luck

Simon
Old Feb 4th 2017, 8:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Australia will require degree qualification for registration, nothing less. New Zealand still does accept some diploma qualified nurses, but there is no hard and fast rule. Canada is, apparently a long haul to get registered. Much information can be found in the various countries Wikis, look on the blue bar at the top.
Old Mar 19th 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Eddie005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Simon I'm going through the same thing as you! I did a postgraduate degree in nursing at kings and have icu experience and want to work in Abu Dhabi . Do you know if our degrees are recognised and if not what we could do?

Many thanks,

Edward
Old Mar 19th 2017, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi all who have replied and want an update.

I have spoken to a few recruitment agencies regarding this and some are confused but others mostly understand what degree i have taken. One of the agencies has explained to me the two year degree may or may not be accepted by the middle east nursing councils and to just try and apply for registration (basically see if you get registered). I have also contacted the Haad in Abu Dhabi health authority and they just never got back to me even after several emails asking if they can advise me.

So you could just try and apply for registration and see if you get through. Of course there will probably be a cost in applying as would be the case for any nurse seeking reg in the middle east or anywhere else.

I am not sure about Australia i haven't really looked into that one but i do know some Australian unis used to do two year courses in nursing (quite recently). So their nursing council now Aphra must have accepted them so maybe able to accept us.

Other options are Gurnsey, isle of man, falkland islands, british virgin islands, new zealand or go work on a cruise ship.

I am going for New Zealand. They accept the two year degree and i going to apply for reg in month or two as i need two years experience before i can apply. So fingers crossed and providing i do get registered i hope to be out there next year June. Ideally middle east would have been nice but it's more living and working abroad and building a life there which is important to me. I know there is no tax in middle east but it is one of those things and i will have to pay it in NZ.

There are loads of things we can do to work abroad. VSO a voluntary organisation have some jobs which you can do for two years or considerably shorter. You don't get a salary but your expenses, accom and i think food is sorted. Lots of different places to choose from in the world.

Also you could take a step back from nursing and try teaching as english as a foreign language. I know it's not nursing but what the hell you don't just have to do nursing. I know we have trained for it but sometimes there are other great life opportunities out there to be had. Be whatever they maybe teaching, volunteering or humanitarian work just go for it.

I hope this has helped. It would be great to here how everyone on here has got on. I will gladly update regarding NZ.

All the best,

Simon

Last edited by Simon7250; Mar 19th 2017 at 8:41 pm.