British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   Nurse wanting to move to USA.. where to even begin?? Help needed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nurse-wanting-move-usa-where-even-begin-help-needed-890331/)

sbsnurse Jan 18th 2017 10:21 pm

Nurse wanting to move to USA.. where to even begin?? Help needed

My husband and I have made the decision to move to America (or at least try).
I am a nurse with a DipHe in adult nursing and have worked in oncology since 2012.
I understand that you need exposures in peadiatrics, gyne and mental Heath.. at my university within our course we completed exposures to all these aspects but I don't know if this will be enough.. I have written evidence..
Also where do I even start? Would you recommend going through an international recruitment agency?
Any help no matter how small would be if great help..
we are hoping to go to Texas or Carolina.. obviously California is everyone's dream but I have read this can be really hard!
Thanks again
Sammi

Silverdragon102 Jan 18th 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Nurse wanting to move to USA.. where to even begin?? Help needed

Starting point would be checking out the board of nursing website for the state you want to live and work in. Your transcripts need to show both clinical and theory hours in Obstetrics, Mental Health, Paeds and Adult. Shortage in just one will result in not meeting state requirements and permission to sit NCLEX.

Demand for nurses isn't as high as several years ago so you will need to find employer willing to go the immigrant route and most employers prefer you have met state requirements first

sarasota chic Jan 19th 2017 7:59 pm

I am an registered nurse and will be relocating back to the USA around May time this year, I am with O'Grady Peyton International I used them the first time we moved to the USA in 2004 and am using them again for this current move.
PM me if you require any further info.:starsmile:

JeanneRivera Sep 14th 2017 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12156263)
I am an registered nurse and will be relocating back to the USA around May time this year, I am with O'Grady Peyton International I used them the first time we moved to the USA in 2004 and am using them again for this current move.
PM me if you require any further info.:starsmile:

Any advice with OGD? I have read several forums online with regards to them as being not supportive?

Looking forward for your response, many thanks... :)

sarasota chic Sep 18th 2017 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by JeanneRivera (Post 12338323)
Any advice with OGD? I have read several forums online with regards to them as being not supportive?

Looking forward for your response, many thanks... :)

I will say I have found OGP supportive both while we were in the UK and USA, we had issues with our location originally I was placed in Shreveport Louisiana but the job fell through due to some licensing issues, we are now in Wichita Falls Texas and are loving it. I think we dodged a bullet by going to Texas and not Louisiana. Please feel free to pm me if you require any further info.

JeanneRivera Sep 19th 2017 10:44 am

Originally Posted by sarasota chic (Post 12341034)
I will say I have found OGP supportive both while we were in the UK and USA, we had issues with our location originally I was placed in Shreveport Louisiana but the job fell through due to some licensing issues, we are now in Wichita Falls Texas and are loving it. I think we dodged a bullet by going to Texas and not Louisiana. Please feel free to pm me if you require any further info.

Thank you for your response, I will Pm you when the forum allows me to.

Many thanks.

ICUnursey Jan 11th 2018 3:43 am

Hi Guys
I'm also starting the long process to going to the US .You have to do a lot of follow up calls to CGFNS,your nursing school and the BON. This process needs real persistance. It is easier with an Agency because they know the process and the steps necessary.Good Luck!!