NMC registration validation

Old Dec 25th 2016, 4:32 am
Just Joined

Sallyzzz2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile NMC registration validation

I am a UK trained nurse (25 years ago) who emigrated to the US 17 years ago and now I want to return to the UK. Unfortunatly I let my UK license lapse.
I recently tried to reinstate my UK license through the NMC but they required a reference from a nurse on the NMC register.
I lost contact with my british nurse colleagues after I emigrated and the NMC has rejected my US Nurse reference from a colleague I've know for years.
I'm at a loss what to do, please are there any nurses that are on the NMC register that can help?

Last edited by Sallyzzz2003; Dec 25th 2016 at 4:40 am.
Old Dec 25th 2016, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NMC registration validation

What a stupid idea from the NMC. Have you tried talking to them?
Old Dec 25th 2016, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

I agree, in an email the NMC told me if the referee was not on the NMC register I'd have to do a back to nursing approved course. I've never had a break in my nursing career.
The NMC also received references from my hospital employer and the State Board of Nursing but are rejecting my application because my first referee is not on their register.� ����
Old Dec 28th 2016, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Dheath3102 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Sallyzzz2003;12136467]I agree, in an email the NMC told me if the referee was not on the NMC register I'd have to do a back to nursing approved course. I've never had a break in my nursing career.
The NMC also received references from my hospital employer and the State Board of Nursing but are rejecting my application because my first referee is not on their register.� ����[/QUOTE

Hi Sally

Have you got that nonsense sorted with the NMC?

Regards

Jeff
Old Dec 29th 2016, 2:57 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=Dheath3102;12137716]
Originally Posted by Sallyzzz2003
I agree, in an email the NMC told me if the referee was not on the NMC register I'd have to do a back to nursing approved course. I've never had a break in my nursing career.
The NMC also received references from my hospital employer and the State Board of Nursing but are rejecting my application because my first referee is not on their register.� ����[/QUOTE

Hi Sally

Have you got that nonsense sorted with the NMC?

Regards

Jeff
No, not yet. I don't know anyone on the NMC register who can be my referee and the NMC won't accept my US colleagues references. It's like a brick wall 😞

Sally
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:19 am
Just Joined

Nursestats is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently had issues with the NMC..I forgot to pay my renewal and realised a day late..got taken off the register and had to jump through so many hoops to get it back...took around 12 weeks...12 weeks when I couldn't work as a nurse!
I'm sure there would be any number of nurses who would happily referee for you judging by your experience but I believe the person has to have known you for a year and been in contact within the last three months of that year.
I know what a nightmare it is. Have you emailed the readmission department?
My previous employer was refusing to do my reference and the NMC initially told me without it I couldn't be re-registered...I emailed readmission direct and they looked at my case, saw the ridiculous-Ness of the situation and agreed to put me back on the register...!
Good luck x
Old Dec 29th 2016, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nursestats
I've recently had issues with the NMC..I forgot to pay my renewal and realised a day late..got taken off the register and had to jump through so many hoops to get it back...took around 12 weeks...12 weeks when I couldn't work as a nurse!
I'm sure there would be any number of nurses who would happily referee for you judging by your experience but I believe the person has to have known you for a year and been in contact within the last three months of that year.
I know what a nightmare it is. Have you emailed the readmission department?
My previous employer was refusing to do my reference and the NMC initially told me without it I couldn't be re-registered...I emailed readmission direct and they looked at my case, saw the ridiculous-Ness of the situation and agreed to put me back on the register...!
Good luck x
Thank you, Unfortunately I no longer know any UK nurses registered or otherwise, you're right they need to have known me for 12 months and been in contact in the last 3 months. I only know American RN's now. I emailed the NMC but only got a standard reply that if I don't know anyone I need to do a back to nursing course.
Please if you have a contact Email at the NMC I can use I'd be very grateful, The bureaucracy is insane. My personal email is <snip>

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 18th 2020 at 6:53 am. Reason: No emails on the forum pls
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

SMac84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you contact the hospitals that you worked at and see if HR have got your file? HR might be able to ask the director of nursing to review your old personel file and write you a reference or even contact a colleague on your behalf. What a bloody nightmare!!!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SMac84
Can you contact the hospitals that you worked at and see if HR have got your file? HR might be able to ask the director of nursing to review your old personel file and write you a reference or even contact a colleague on your behalf. What a bloody nightmare!!!
Thank you SMac What a great idea, I'll try this, not a lot of time left but it's worth a try. Don't know why I didn't think of it, that's why we have this awesome forum. Thank you!
Old Jan 24th 2017, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Hannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really niceHannah73 is just really nice

Hello Sally,
Have you had any luck with finding a uk nurse registered with the NMC for your reference? I agree it's crazy! I'm also going through the process of readmission to the NMC register after being registered and working in France since 2002. My employer has sent off their reference and the French regulatory board will be sending theirs off for me at the end of this week. Otherwise for the reference requiring a NMC registered nurse i have asked my friend who i trained with and have always stayed in contact with via facebook to fulfill this reference. I hope the NMC will accept a reference from a friend.....we shall see. Have you not kept in contact at all with anyone you trained or previously worked with in the UK? I am also worrying about my CPD not being accepted as we don't have the same opportunities in France for continued professional development, so i just declared conferences that i have attended, a nursing book i read plus some mandatory training in CPR. I hope this will be acceptable. If the NMC ask me for proof of these conferences, all i can do is get my employer to sign that i attended. It's all very nerve wracking Let me know how you're getting on and good luck