News from Paulb

Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:55 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light
Default News from Paulb

Paul has asked me to post this thread for him, as you know he hasn't got the means to be able to post long threads yet, but I'm sure he'll be back posting regularly very soon.
Mandi

Hi folks

Sorry its been a while until Ive managed to email but its been a busy few days. Flight was fine other than the length of time, 12 hours to Singapore, 2 hours in the airport (which is nice by the way), then 7hours to Brisbane. No problems at customs, didnt even inspect my cricket stuff for soil etc.

Went to the hotel, 5 star job and helped myself to a bottle of XXXX GOLD from the minibar! My sister had also arranged for a bottle of champers to be delivered to the room. Bed about 10.30, and all of us wide awake at 2.30am!!! Jet lag is a funny thing. Went out at 5am to the park over the road, loads of different birds, and water dragons (big lizards). Also, most of Brisbane is up at this time, jogging or cycling around the park. The next day so was I. Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights, spending time looking around Brisbane. Went over the river 1 day to South Bank which is a huge complex of man made lagoons and beaches and cafes. Brilliant for the kids. Anna and Joe enjoyed it too!!

On the Friday we picked up the hire car and travelled down to Grafton, past the Gold Coast and stopping off at Byron Bay which is really nice. Met sisters friends at Grafton. Fantastic house on land with pool. Went to a firework display on the night then had a barby. Went into Grafton the next day and thats when it all went tits up. Both myself and Joanne looked at each other and both knew this wasnt for us. It reminded us of a typical 1960s American town, and its difficult to put a finger on it but we just couldnt see ourselves living there. It was a horrible feeling and so disappointing. We went to the beach and played with the kids and talked. Joanne said that she really liked Brisbane, and I did too. We decided to go back to Brisbane as I knew of some good areas on the south east side on the coast, Redland Bay, Victoria Point, Cleveland and Wellington point, all around 30-40 minutes from the city, and known as the Bayside area. The roads are great and not conges
ted at all. We met up with some people I knew from the Expats website, who suggested places to stay. It is now Monday morning (7th) and we have spent the night in a log cabin at Thorneside near Manly (look on the map!!). We have seen a flat for rent next to the beach at Wynnum, but we are going to look around Bayside to see if there is anything to rent there short term. We are also looking at houses to rent for 6 months or so. Our furniture will be ready for delivery in 2-3 weeks so we can get a house soon, as we need to buy a bed and a fridge, which will do us until the rest gets delivered. Kids can sleep on airbeds and the houses have cookers etc. The places we are staying now are about $100 (42) per night, whereas we can get a good new rental house in Bayside 3 bed detatched for $250 (105) per week. Obviously more for a bigger one with pool etc.

Work wise..Ive fu**ed up really. The plan was to work in Grafton and I hadnt looked anywhere else. Spoke to a friend briefly yesterday. She works in mental health, lives in Bris but working out of Sydney. Shes pretty high up but I dont know what she does exactly. Meeting her today as she has some contacts for me. She says Bris are desperate for psychi nurses and I will have no problem getting work. I may have to go on the wards for a short while but that wont be a bother really, as long as I get a foot in the door. Went to a supermarket yesterday and next door was a real estate agent. Went in to ask about rentals and got chatting to the girl. She is currently doing her nurse training. Told her I was looking for a job. She suggested the Princess Alexander hopital at Woolongabba, next to the Gabba cricket ground, about 20-30 minutes from Bayside. She says they have a huge psychi department, and are short of ward staff and community staff. So got some options alread
y. As long as I get a start before Xmas we will be fine, although we think we have enough emergency money to last us a while.

Going to look at cars today. Currently have a ford falcon rental till Friday. Very much like my mondeo, so might get something like that. Joanne likes the Subaru Imprezza!!!!

Wanted to spend about $12 15K (5-6.5K), but seen a beaut for $16k and new ones for $20K (8.5), so have a few days to get sorted.

Kids are fine, no problems on the flight really, slept a lot. Been quite good generally, a bit excitable at times. Love going in the pools and playing on the beach, Joe was sick in the car once, but caught most of it in his lap. Just about got the sleep pattern back to normal, into the Aussie way, up before 6 am in in bed before 10pm.

Cant access the internet much at the moment, so will mail again when I can. We are all fine, a bit stressed with having to look for a job, house etc in Bris, but we are sure we have done the right thing by coming back here and not staying at Grafton. We are having a laugh too despite it all, Im sure its an adventure we will look back on in years to come and laugh about. Despite it all, we are confident of finding work, house, schools etc soon, so no worries!! We havent argued either, I guess we realise the importance of togetherness.

Weather hot, beer plentifull etc etc

Keep in touch with gossip.

Texts are cheap.

Paul and family
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:01 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News from Paulb

Can recommend the Subaru Imprezza we managed to knock Zupps at Southport down by $3,000 but we were buying two. Have had no problems nice runners and the 2L we got uses the cheaper unleaded fuel.

Lot's of mental health around Brisbane from what I've seen Paul you'll get job no bother.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mandi248
Paul has asked me to post this thread for him, as you know he hasn't got the means to be able to post long threads yet, but I'm sure he'll be back posting regularly very soon.
Mandi

Hi folks

Sorry its been a while until Ive managed to email but its been a busy few days. Flight was fine other than the length of time, 12 hours to Singapore, 2 hours in the airport (which is nice by the way), then 7hours to Brisbane. No problems at customs, didnt even inspect my cricket stuff for soil etc.

Went to the hotel, 5 star job and helped myself to a bottle of XXXX GOLD from the minibar! My sister had also arranged for a bottle of champers to be delivered to the room. Bed about 10.30, and all of us wide awake at 2.30am!!! Jet lag is a funny thing. Went out at 5am to the park over the road, loads of different birds, and water dragons (big lizards). Also, most of Brisbane is up at this time, jogging or cycling around the park. The next day so was I. Stayed in the hotel for 3 nights, spending time looking around Brisbane. Went over the river 1 day to South Bank which is a huge complex of man made lagoons and beaches and cafes. Brilliant for the kids. Anna and Joe enjoyed it too!!

On the Friday we picked up the hire car and travelled down to Grafton, past the Gold Coast and stopping off at Byron Bay which is really nice. Met sisters friends at Grafton. Fantastic house on land with pool. Went to a firework display on the night then had a barby. Went into Grafton the next day and thats when it all went tits up. Both myself and Joanne looked at each other and both knew this wasnt for us. It reminded us of a typical 1960s American town, and its difficult to put a finger on it but we just couldnt see ourselves living there. It was a horrible feeling and so disappointing. We went to the beach and played with the kids and talked. Joanne said that she really liked Brisbane, and I did too. We decided to go back to Brisbane as I knew of some good areas on the south east side on the coast, Redland Bay, Victoria Point, Cleveland and Wellington point, all around 30-40 minutes from the city, and known as the Bayside area. The roads are great and not conges
ted at all. We met up with some people I knew from the Expats website, who suggested places to stay. It is now Monday morning (7th) and we have spent the night in a log cabin at Thorneside near Manly (look on the map!!). We have seen a flat for rent next to the beach at Wynnum, but we are going to look around Bayside to see if there is anything to rent there short term. We are also looking at houses to rent for 6 months or so. Our furniture will be ready for delivery in 2-3 weeks so we can get a house soon, as we need to buy a bed and a fridge, which will do us until the rest gets delivered. Kids can sleep on airbeds and the houses have cookers etc. The places we are staying now are about $100 (42) per night, whereas we can get a good new rental house in Bayside 3 bed detatched for $250 (105) per week. Obviously more for a bigger one with pool etc.

Work wise..Ive fu**ed up really. The plan was to work in Grafton and I hadnt looked anywhere else. Spoke to a friend briefly yesterday. She works in mental health, lives in Bris but working out of Sydney. Shes pretty high up but I dont know what she does exactly. Meeting her today as she has some contacts for me. She says Bris are desperate for psychi nurses and I will have no problem getting work. I may have to go on the wards for a short while but that wont be a bother really, as long as I get a foot in the door. Went to a supermarket yesterday and next door was a real estate agent. Went in to ask about rentals and got chatting to the girl. She is currently doing her nurse training. Told her I was looking for a job. She suggested the Princess Alexander hopital at Woolongabba, next to the Gabba cricket ground, about 20-30 minutes from Bayside. She says they have a huge psychi department, and are short of ward staff and community staff. So got some options alread
y. As long as I get a start before Xmas we will be fine, although we think we have enough emergency money to last us a while.

Going to look at cars today. Currently have a ford falcon rental till Friday. Very much like my mondeo, so might get something like that. Joanne likes the Subaru Imprezza!!!!

Wanted to spend about $12 15K (5-6.5K), but seen a beaut for $16k and new ones for $20K (8.5), so have a few days to get sorted.

Kids are fine, no problems on the flight really, slept a lot. Been quite good generally, a bit excitable at times. Love going in the pools and playing on the beach, Joe was sick in the car once, but caught most of it in his lap. Just about got the sleep pattern back to normal, into the Aussie way, up before 6 am in in bed before 10pm.

Cant access the internet much at the moment, so will mail again when I can. We are all fine, a bit stressed with having to look for a job, house etc in Bris, but we are sure we have done the right thing by coming back here and not staying at Grafton. We are having a laugh too despite it all, Im sure its an adventure we will look back on in years to come and laugh about. Despite it all, we are confident of finding work, house, schools etc soon, so no worries!! We havent argued either, I guess we realise the importance of togetherness.

Weather hot, beer plentifull etc etc

Keep in touch with gossip.

Texts are cheap.

Paul and family

Thanks Mandi!
And thanks Paul! It's great to hear from you.
I'm so glad you've decided to stay in Brissy! It means we can get to meet up!
Glad things are starting to sort themselves out. Hang in there mate, I'm sure it'll all fall into place soon, and like you said, you can look back and laugh.
There's a few of you out there now....maybe a huge welcome for us when we land on 6th Dec???????
Keep in touch and see you in 27 days!!!!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:08 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Paul great to hear from you! you echo how we feel exactly, stressed but happy!!!!

We just got ourselves a 4 bedroom 2 storey brand new home in Redlands bay today!!!!! its fantastic and we are moving in on the 23rd nov as we are in our apartment until then in the city. We also have use of a pool, gym and tennis courts and they are allowing us to bring our dog poppy as well!

I'm so happy tonight - on cloud nine! Feel like a weight has been lifted and it was only 2nd day of house hunting today as well!!!!!

Keep in touch and good luck with the house hunting - you've done the right thing - Redlandshire/ Bayside is a fantastic area.

Lynn
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Paul great to hear from you! you echo how we feel exactly, stressed but happy!!!!

We just got ourselves a 4 bedroom 2 storey brand new home in Redlands bay today!!!!! its fantastic and we are moving in on the 23rd nov as we are in our apartment until then in the city. We also have use of a pool, gym and tennis courts and they are allowing us to bring our dog poppy as well!

I'm so happy tonight - on cloud nine! Feel like a weight has been lifted and it was only 2nd day of house hunting today as well!!!!!

Keep in touch and good luck with the house hunting - you've done the right thing - Redlandshire/ Bayside is a fantastic area.

Lynn

Fantastic news Lynn...told you it wouldn't take long!!!!
Oh, I am so pleased for you. Sorry to have missed you this morning. Chat soon I hope.
Claire. x
Old Nov 9th 2005, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Still looking for a house

Well done Lynn, we were concentrating on Cleveland, but may widen our search.

Paul
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:22 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

They put boards outside most rental houses this end would try just riding around nice estates and see if any there on houses you like.

We joined HSBC in Brisbane today and the bank manager came over to sit in on joining interview and turns out she's from Yorkshire been here 2 years and not regretting it so hope for us all.... Commonwealth charge for bloody everything and beware your day to day cash card may have $800 dollar limit with Commonwealth each and $500 each with HSBC unless you also get a VISA Debit card (just incase you didn't know)... .

Good luck with the house hunting Paul.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Anyone heard any more from Paul?
Just wondered if he'd found a car or house yet?
keep us posted.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:50 am
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Anyone heard any more from Paul?
Just wondered if he'd found a car or house yet?
keep us posted.
Paul has got a car but still looking for somewhere to live, he's hoping to get on the net tomorrow morning when the library opens. The kids are enjoying Oz though.
He asked where you lived Claire, but your profile still says Southampton! I said that I thought you were in Brisbane as you were going on the meet.

I think we are all waiting for an update!

mandi x
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul has got a car but still looking for somewhere to live, he's hoping to get on the net tomorrow morning when the library opens. The kids are enjoying Oz though.
He asked where you lived Claire, but your profile still says Southampton! I said that I thought you were in Brisbane as you were going on the meet.

I think we are all waiting for an update!

mandi x
I'm in Southampton for another 22 days, and then I'll be in Brisbane. I was hoping to come on the meet if it's arranged for after we get there!
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:48 am
nursey

I'm in Southampton for another 22 days, and then I'll be in Brisbane. I was hoping to come on the meet if it's arranged for after we get there!
oh of course, sorry must have been having one of my blonde moments!! have them quite often!
Also just noticed your ticker thingy
Old Nov 13th 2005, 11:50 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Paul & Family,

Stick with it and you'll get there in the end. As you say with the nursing, even if it's the wards for a wee while it gets your foot in the door.

Take care and enjoy

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 15th 2005, 5:24 pm
nursey

Had a text from Paul yesterday, he has found a house, a 4 bedroomed bungalow in Redland bay, infact he moved in yesterday, he says it's a beaut!! He also said that things were looking good on the job front but didn't go into detail, although now he's moved in I'm sure it won't be long before he's back on line and can tell you himself.

Mandi
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Had a text from Paul yesterday, he has found a house, a 4 bedroomed bungalow in Redland bay, infact he moved in yesterday, he says it's a beaut!! He also said that things were looking good on the job front but didn't go into detail, although now he's moved in I'm sure it won't be long before he's back on line and can tell you himself.

Mandi

yes, I got that text too! Great news isn't it? I want to be there NOW!
Sorry, just getting inpatient. Paul says I should be making the most of these last few weeks and enjoy having nothing to do!!!
Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:05 pm
nursey

yes, I got that text too! Great news isn't it? I want to be there NOW!
Sorry, just getting inpatient. Paul says I should be making the most of these last few weeks and enjoy having nothing to do!!!
Easy for him to say, he's already there!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.