NEWLY QUALIFIED MIDWIVES

Old Apr 29th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough1968_karen is a jewel in the rough
Default NEWLY QUALIFIED MIDWIVES

Hi everyone

Hope you can help me!

Are any of you newly qualified midwives who have or who are emigrating out to Australia? What visa route did you go down? Have you been sponsored? Did you use an agency or go direct to hospitals? Do you have any experience? And where are you heading to?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Karen
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: NEWLY QUALIFIED MIDWIVES

Originally Posted by 1968_karen
Hi everyone

Hope you can help me!

Are any of you newly qualified midwives who have or who are emigrating out to Australia? What visa route did you go down? Have you been sponsored? Did you use an agency or go direct to hospitals? Do you have any experience? And where are you heading to?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Karen
Hi Karen.

i know this is an old post but i know you are still on here as i saw your thread about the IELTS.

i am due to qualify in Sept 2009. we have applied for a 175 then 176 visa as my OH is a carpenter so we are hoping to have the visa and then be off..

how did you find the interviews. i have not applied for any jobs at the moment, i was going to wait until i get there and have a look around. if they are desperate for midwives im sure i may get a job somewhere and they wont have to sponsor me...

one thing i have not been able to find is a grad program for midwives in the Qld area. there are load for nurses but not for midwives so will keep looking,

not long now before we qualify... cant wait..

cheryl
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Lots of Grad programmes in QLD but direct entry midwifery is a fairly new concept. QLD is huge so you have to pinpoint an area first.
I think the Mater and the Royal womens hospitals in Brisbane do. Try the University of QLD as a starting point, they will know which hospitals offer a new grad programme as they run the Midwifery training programmes.
I am a Midwife in Ipswich and loving it. Our first cohort of direct entry Midwives have just qualified and have all opted to stay with us as new grads. Result hey !!!
Gonna be a learning curve for us all xx
Good luck

Alison x
Old Jul 20th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Hi Alison

thankyou for your post... i was looking at the Gold Coast hospital for my first choice.

i qualify in September will be taking the IELTS in Oct and hopefully be out on the coast in November .... by the time we have secured a rental and looked around xmas will be here so i was looking to start at the end of jan ish (i know this may be delayed by my QNC REG)

when do you think i should be looking at applying and do you thing i should contact the hospital direct.

i was going to fill in an expression of interest but it asks for IELTS results etc and UK Pin which i havent got.

do you know anything about the Gold Coast hospital.. ie. working, hours, parking,

initially i was going to wait until i got over there to look, but dont want to miss out on any jobs...

thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

Cheryl,

I have a few colleagues at the Gold Coast hospital and will ask them about parking and working. I think the parking is pretty bad but perhaps the new hospital will make a big difference. I also know that it's really difficult to get to work on birth suite and that there's a lot of hospital politics that make working difficult. No different from any other unit.....Lol !!..... but even the doctors at our hospital talk about the 'clicky' bunch at the Gold Coast. Prob just militant midwives !!! LOL !!! Gotta luv us madwives hey !!

I know that it's a really popular place for midwives wanting to work as it's in a beautiful and popular area. You would be wise to contact the hospital directly and ask about jobs. You could also look on the QLD health website and e-mail them with an expression of interest. They may even interview you in the UK so that you can simply start work when you're ready. That's how I got my job and there was no pressure to start.

If I could be honest for a second: If I were a new grad and wanting a good grad programme, I would be looking at either the Royal Womens or the Mater. The Gold Coast is prob not the best place for a new grad xxx
Have 6 months at the Royal or the Mater and then move to the Gold Coast xx

Alison xx
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Alison

thank you so much for your reply....

we are looking to live on Pacific Pines initialy as we feel it may help the kids settle and although we also will look at north lakes area when we get there, we wanted more to be on the gold coast.. therefore the reason i was looking at the gold coast hospital.

we have a 16 year old who is not looking forward to coming at the moment, so we thought she may make more friends in this area.

what would the drive time be to brisbane womens from this area on the Gold Coast.. i travel just over 30 minutes to and from work at the moment and after a night shift this is enough...

did you go over as a newly qualified ??

i dont qualify until sept and we are looking to come out in Nov on OH visa.. i will sit my IELTS in Oct and prob apply to QNC in nov when i get my docs so it may even be feb 2010 before i can start work..

your opinions are greatfuly received as i have heard mixed reviews of most hospitals, (as you do) but if you have any further info .. could you PM me

what i have been thinking in the last few days is to apply to the GC and then when i get there go for a look round and may be spend a day there if i dont like it apply somewhere else..

liked the look of the Mater but i thought travel may be too far as some one i know travels over an hour on the train.. after a night shift i would be asleep..

also (sorry for all the questons) if you have any idea on wages and take home pay i would be greatful.. so we can see whe the $$$ will buy us....

take care....xx
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Alison

just to ask too... have you heard anything about Logan Hopsital... that would be another option

and as its only OH thats sponsored... i could go to tweed heads in NSW too....xx
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Cheryl,

I have sent you a pm. See you real soon !!!
You must be getting excited

Alison