Neonatal nurse, family, don't know where to start!!!

Old Sep 14th 2014, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Sas1985kia is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Neonatal nurse, family, don't know where to start!!!

Hi all, i am completely new to this and looking for lots of advice!
Have literally just started to think about the idea of moving out to aus and have no idea where to start or if indeed it will be possible.
Where to consider???
Here's a bit about myself....
I have a young family, my daughters are 3 and 1. My husband currently works for Royal Mail and loves his job so would want to stay in similar kind of work.
I am a neonatal nurse with 5 years experience in a NICU post qualifying. I am currently a band 6 and have my intensive care qualification.
We love the idea of Aus but don't have a clue about any of it. The initial questions I have are:
Where to consider??
Costs involved?
Do we need to commit to a permanent move or would a temporary move initially be ok? (We could both take a 2yr career break)
What is the pay like? I have heard cost of living out there is very high we our quality of life suffer?
Is it best to approach agencies or hospitals directly?
Where do we start with living arrangements?

Sorry to bombard you all I just have soooooo many question (this isn't the half of them haha)
Old Sep 14th 2014, 4:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Neonatal nurse, family, don't know where to start!!!

Originally Posted by Sas1985kia
Hi all, i am completely new to this and looking for lots of advice!
Have literally just started to think about the idea of moving out to aus and have no idea where to start or if indeed it will be possible.
Where to consider???
Here's a bit about myself....
I have a young family, my daughters are 3 and 1. My husband currently works for Royal Mail and loves his job so would want to stay in similar kind of work.
I am a neonatal nurse with 5 years experience in a NICU post qualifying. I am currently a band 6 and have my intensive care qualification.
We love the idea of Aus but don't have a clue about any of it. The initial questions I have are:
Where to consider??
Costs involved?
Do we need to commit to a permanent move or would a temporary move initially be ok? (We could both take a 2yr career break)
What is the pay like? I have heard cost of living out there is very high we our quality of life suffer?
Is it best to approach agencies or hospitals directly?
Where do we start with living arrangements?

Sorry to bombard you all I just have soooooo many question (this isn't the half of them haha)
The one important question for Australian moves and registration at present is - are you degree or diploma qualified!

After that we can maybe look at visas etc, but that one question is huge right now.
Old Sep 14th 2014, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Sas1985kia is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 1st class honours degree in paediatric nursing x
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sas1985kia
I have a 1st class honours degree in paediatric nursing x
Thats great, diploma nurses are in real trouble at present registration-wise.

As a start, Have a read through Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection - if you can qualify for an independent (unsponsored) visa then go for that, gives you the freedom to live and work wherever you wish.
Also have a read through the AHPRA website, as registration is not a quick process.
Lots of hospitals will offer contracts before you arrive, especially if you have already started/got registration, but you need to look at the visa requirements and the skills assessment first
Old Sep 19th 2014, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

curlytops is on a distinguished road

Totally agree with above post to get a permanent residency visa before you go & not rely on a hospital to sponsor you. It will cost more & you'll be in for a longer wait, but you'll have more options for employment when there. (Go out for a visit whilst you're waiting!). You're OH will probably need a motorbike licence to be an Aussie postie :-)