Need advice from Calgary Nurses

Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice from Calgary Nurses

Originally Posted by Yoong
Hi Sharon,
Did you manage to get the mock exam questions from the psych.
nursing students when you were over there? Out of curiosity,I
did look throught the exam questions ,I found 40% were general
med/surg. questions and 60% psych.

The good news is that most psych. nurses passed the exams
the first time.They said that the mock exam questions ,Psychotropic
Agents (latest Edition by Ralph)
and the general med/surg. guide prep book were very helpful.

You can write to a psych. nursing college in Calgary (or ask your manager)
to purchase the mock exam questions and Psychotropic Agents book
from them.
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Hi,
I managed to buy the prep guide but couldn't find any of the others, I've got my WP now and think I'll be moving over in March so I'll have some time before I have to sit it.

I will ask that they purchase the books, wil help others too.
Thanks
Sharon

Originally Posted by danksie
Hi Judith,
Unfortunately the annual leave is not as good as the UK. Here you accumulate hours over time. I get approx 140 hrs a year but bearing in mind, I work part time so only maybe need 20hrs off to get 2 weeks off!!

With regards to shifts, they are different lines (8hr days/nights, 8hr days/evenings, 12 hour days/nights or you can go casual).

Having a line means either full time or part time, my line is 0.6 ( part time) 10hr line but I pick up more if I want. I don't want to be full time so this suits me. With this I get health care benefits but it does mean I have set days that I have to be at work. Casual is where you don't have a line but just pick up shifts that suit you. Advantages are that you work what you want, disadvantages are that you don't get paid benefits and it depends on how short staffed unit is, how many shifts you get booked. Pros and cons for both, depends what your circumstances are and whether you partner has a job with good benefits!!

Salary is good here, you get paid fortnightly. If you haven't sat your Canadian nurses exam, they will employ you as a grad nurse until you pass. This is at a reduced rate of pay, i think it's about $25 /hour , don't quote me but I wll find out. Once you have passed exam, it depends on your experience. I managed to prove my years of service in UK from employers and current sit at level 9 which is highest paid and just under $40/hour. Wages are better and go further here and I'm always getting called to see if I want to do overtime which is double time!!

If your daughter is planning to go to Calgary Uni, it might be as well to look in NW of Calgary for homes, and Foothills would be the nearest hospital. Stay away from NW Calgary (poorer area if there is one!!). Houses cost approx $1700 up to rent monthly and to buy house depends on size, area. Prices have really rose recently but approx $420,000 will get you a nice house.

With your husband job in the police and your job, you guys should have a good standard of living!!

Foothills hosp does have the majority of the Cardiology units, if you like I could forward your details or get you some contacts. You'll have no problem getting hired!!!

Does your husband know where he will be based in the city??

Have you been here on vacation? If you would like, I could try and meet up with you on your visit for a coffee and discuss all your issues/concerns.

Regards

Amanda
I have a contact in HR who's job it is to recruit International nurses, I can PM it to anyone who wants it.

Originally Posted by danksie
When I sat the exam, it was more psychosocial than general nursing questions,
first of all don`t panic!! When are you sitting the exam.

There is a course run by Bow Valley College to assist immigrants study and prepare for their nurses exam when they move here. I think it is once a week study session for about 12 weeks, if you feel you need it. I have a contact if you feel it would help you.

Amanda
Thanks for that, I may take you up on it once I get there.

Sharon
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharon,
I think the psych. units in your hospital may have a few copies
of Psychotropic Agents or Psychotropic Drugs handbooks which they can lend one to you for a brief period. We have a few copies availble in
all our psych.units.

Just a thought.
Yoong
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

joyousjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I am a 2nd yr student nurse who is interested in coming to Canada - do you know if they like you to have a min amount of experience first or if they take you "hot off the press" as such lol

I am married with 2 kiddies and am looking for a better lifestyle for us all

Can you think of any advice you would give me regarding canadian nursing etc.,

cheers Joy
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

joyousjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Sharon

How useful is that PR friend of yours? is it worth me getting hold of her name and keeping it for info cos I am hoping to go within a couple of years (by the time I pass reg, get exp if needed etc.,) lol

cheers Joy
Old Jan 8th 2008, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Crumps and Misone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi' i've dealt with the same international recruitment officer that Boxerdog (Sharon) has, She's fantastic and really helpful with fast responses to all queries regarding working conditions, your professional interests, salary etc.
It'd be worth getting her details.

Simone
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyousjoy
hey Sharon

How useful is that PR friend of yours? is it worth me getting hold of her name and keeping it for info cos I am hoping to go within a couple of years (by the time I pass reg, get exp if needed etc.,) lol

cheers Joy
Have sent you a PM with her details

Sharon
Old Jan 10th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joyousjoy
Hi

I am a 2nd yr student nurse who is interested in coming to Canada - do you know if they like you to have a min amount of experience first or if they take you "hot off the press" as such lol

I am married with 2 kiddies and am looking for a better lifestyle for us all

Can you think of any advice you would give me regarding canadian nursing etc.,

cheers Joy
Depends on how desperate is the hospital,they just grab at any newly
qualified nurses 'hot off the press' and let the more experience staff do
the mentoring and orientation.

Canadian RNs are allowed to work both in general and psychiatry.
If you have a degree,you can take a break from nursing and do
clinical teaching with the students for a semester or two and then
return to your original position.

Fundings are provided for further education with some strings attached.
According to my experience as a psych, nurse,I can say that the nurses
on my department are well treated and given perks to prevent
burnout and for staff retention( mutual agreement between nurses and management) Docs.are great to work with and respectful.

All the best with your intention to move to Canada.
Yoong
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

SunniD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Josephparappally
I am a RN received LMO and job offer from Calgary health region as a staff nurse. Presently working in UAE. Planning to move to Canada. I also applied for PR on September 2005. It is in process.
Can anyone tell me about the nursing job in Calgary. How will be probation period. Is there any harassment/discrimination during probation. How safe I am moving to Canada with WP visa. I am still afraid to resign my present job. Is canada employers are very tough with staff. What about accommodation and transport in Calgary
Hello, my name is SunniD. My English husband and I came to Calgary for jobs as a Chemistry lab technologist and a professor in Business Management.
I wish to caution you about coming to Calgary. Please make sure that any contract offered to you has big penalties if they cancel it like at least 1 yrs. salary. Make sure the contract is on paper with witnesses. Calgarians are famous for breaking contracts - 2 out of 2 for us.
Expect to be overworked as a nurse. I've met loads of nurses who can't stand working for Calgary Health Region due to the overwork and not getting
proper breaks. At least when you move to Saskatoon, Sk., the quality of life is better to raise kids and you get the proper breaks in a day and you aren't overworked.
Calgary is over a million people now. Houses that one would consider living in would cost approximately $450,000 and the drive would be a long commute into the city. There are very few apartments for rent in Calgary and they
are small apts.- 2 bdrms are generally around 900 sq. ft. and cost $1500 for a lousy one. Nice ones are all over $2000.
Weather changes in Calgary often so can go through 3 different weathers in one day.
I heard there is a lot of discrimination in Calgary if you are black or resemble the color of Mexicans. One black nurse from Quebec quit her nursing job with Calgary Health Region because of the discrimination. One Arab friend from Quebec was discrimated against at Canadian Tire and they beat her up and gave her a blood clot on the brain. All she did was take her car in for an oil change and the radio didn't work afterwards so she took it back and asked them to fix it.

Check out North Battleford, Sk. as it needs nurses and is a much nicer place to raise children. Anywhere in Saskatchewan is much nicer than Calgary to raise children in.

If you think you can find a job once you get to Calgary, forget it. I've been posting resumes since my lab tech contract was broken and there's just too many people applying. I've only had a couple of interviews and no job offers.

If Calgary wants you bad enough, make them pay for the move prior to your coming. They generally pay $2500 or so for moves-keep receipts. Get everything in writing with witnesses even for the move.

Hope my comments help some people. I've met so many with sad stories since coming to Calgary. Hard to find a doctor as well. Healthcare is costly compared to being free in Saskatchewan. Licensing your car is expensive as well to get all the inspections done.

SunniD