Need advice from Calgary Nurses

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

manchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant futuremanchesterchick has a brilliant future
Default Re: Need advice from Calgary Nurses

Excellent.
How did you find the crne?Was I the only one who thought it was hard??
I used the prep guide also, but thought that there were not a great deal of questions that were similar. .. so convinced myself I had failed, got a nice surprise on MOnday when I got the result though!!
Where in NS do you want to live?

husbands sister lives in Hants county or somewhere like that.
We have applied on the skilled workers programme , submitted July 2005, we have used an immigration company and all the last "bits and bobs " have been submitted. Just waiting to hear about when we have medicals etc.
Wanted to get PR BEFORE I got a job there, a bit unueasy about work permits etc...any thoughts?
What kind of job will you be taking and what type of role do you have in the Uk?
I work in a walk in centre, so money not too bad etc here but fed up with the way the uk is going at moment. Qualified in 1990. Would love a community role, but they are pretty hard to come by , as it appears the biggest shortage is in the Acute side
The only thing I am dreading is the miniscule holidays
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
This is where I verified the info for nurses in Nova Scotia http://www.crnns.ca/default.asp?id=1...29&search=1174 look at the section headed "Temporary Licence". My understanding from the nurses I met in Canada is that it is the same in all Provinces.

You should check with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta or the CNA as it is not really to do with the employer, but the registering body.
Hi there, I see where you are with that, I have scoured but not deeply for the same kind of notification on the Alberta nurse asso. but to no avail. Its late though and I need me bed
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Good news, if I fail the exam first time round I will not have my temp permit suspended until I pass the exam next time round. Phew wotta relief!! This comes direct from my employer and the agency. LMO approved yesterday, so work permit to be applied for now. keep them all crossed fer me
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

AllanG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by keefrto
Hey Lynn, just heard you passed CRNE, well done. I should be up for sitting mine in June 08.
well done
Hi

I'm hoping to sit mine soon, any pointers on what's it like. How difficult etc. I understand that you can work as a graduate nurse until one has sat exam, does anyone know the rate of pay for this and what is the anual leave entitlement for Alberta Health? Thanks
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllanG
Hi

I'm hoping to sit mine soon, any pointers on what's it like. How difficult etc. I understand that you can work as a graduate nurse until one has sat exam, does anyone know the rate of pay for this and what is the anual leave entitlement for Alberta Health? Thanks
Hi AllanG,

You are allowed to write the exams maximum of 3 writings.
https://www.nurses.ab.ca/Carna/index...ructureID=1102
The salaries for Grad Nurses.
http://www.una.ab.ca/conferences/Nur...%20Main%20Page

Collective Agreements between UNA and THe Employers.
You will find the vacation entitlement on the link below.
http://www.una.ab.ca/conferences/F0000EEF4/S002889A7

There are study prep guides for the CRNE,perhaps you can
ask the nurses that took their exams recently or check
www.allnurses.com
Yoong

Last edited by Yoong; Nov 27th 2007 at 11:33 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Yoong, that was helpful
Old Nov 28th 2007, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My best advice on passing the exam is get the prep guide. It is just really a sample exam paper, but it kind of gets you into the examiners head. Lots of the questions are testing judgment and psycho-social stuff, so getting used to the type of replies they expect is crucial.

Are you still in the UK?

What kind of nursing do you do?
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:56 am
Just Joined

danksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Need advice from Calgary Nurses

Hi there,
I am a UK trained Nurse who moved to Calgary on a WP 6 years ago and now I am a Canadian Citizen. If anyone needs any info, please do not hesitate in asking.

There are many British Nurses working for the Calgary Health Region and if we can do it you can!! Calgary is booming right now and is desperate for nurses in all areas. There are a couple of issues you need to be aware of before making the move but personally, I have never looked back and have a great lifestyle here!

The Canadian Nurses exam is Multi choice and basically, you just need to study the prep guide book. I do not know of an English trained nurse who hasn't passed it and you get 3 attempts. The first step is to send your Nursing transcripts to the Alberta Nursing Assoc (CARNA) to get a temporary nursing permit and they will send you info regarding the exam.

Good luck with your research and if I can help out, i will try too.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for your reply. My husband is hoping to go in March/Apr with his job in the Calgary Police, I am moving end of June when daughter finishes A levels. I have a job offer with the Alberta Health Authority. My registration details are currently being processed. My plan is to work as a Grad nurse while working towards passing the exam. How long do you think I need to revise the prep guide?

We will be Permanent Residents (PNP) on arrival so dont need to worry about visas. I have not yet decided which area to live and work, but we are going over end of Jan for holiday and a quick look about. Was thinking of the Cochrane, Bragg Creek type area so I suppose that means Im looking to the Rocky View Hospital for work. I am currently in Cardiology at Papworth and am looking to stay within the same field. Anyone in Calgary employed at Rocky View?

Thanks, grateful for any advice etc.

Judith
Old Dec 29th 2007, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

I work at the Rockyview and used to work at Harefield Hosp in Cardiothoracic's!! Foothills has Cardiology and Cardiac surgery units. Rockyview has a Cardilogy unit. I now work in the ER for a change and like it.

It doesn't take much time to prep for the exam, i just keep completing the practice questions in the back of the prep book and started about 4 weeks before.

Just think about if your working shifts how you feel about driving in snow in the dark in those areas. For some it's not a problem, for others it may be.

Cochrane is nearer to Foothills and Bragg creek is closer to Rockyview but both are still aprox 30-40 min drive away.

Some of my colleagues husbands are with the Calgary police!!

Amanda
Old Dec 30th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Hi Amanda

Thanks for the reply, I will order the book and have a look.

Can I ask you what happened with regards to your annual leave, did the Health Authority recognise your length of service for the purpose of annual leave or did you start at the bottom of the scale, as I hear it is not that good?

I have over 10 years service with the NHS, having been a Registered Nurse for a little over 3 years, so my leave is about 8 weeks ( inc bank holidays) a year so I think I will find the lack of annual leave difficult.

Are they quite flexible on the shifts. i.e. can you mix days and nights, work long days or do you have to say that you will do nights and they make you do so many months of them before allowing you to change etc?

If you don't mind, can I ask if you find that you are better off salary wise.

We are going to drive around the surrounding areas of Calgary when we visit in February, can you recommend any places. Are there any real problems with commuting on the roads with snow or are they all open? Initially we intend to rent for 6 months and see what happens.

Ideally we want to choose an area in which to rent in Feb, and then an aim to buy after 6 months. Means that our daughter can go to the same school without having to move about. Our middle daughter is hoping to go to Uni in Calgary and our oldest daughter is looking for a PR type job.

Cheers Judith
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danksie
I work at the Rockyview and used to work at Harefield Hosp in Cardiothoracic's!! Foothills has Cardiology and Cardiac surgery units. Rockyview has a Cardilogy unit. I now work in the ER for a change and like it.

It doesn't take much time to prep for the exam, i just keep completing the practice questions in the back of the prep book and started about 4 weeks before.

Just think about if your working shifts how you feel about driving in snow in the dark in those areas. For some it's not a problem, for others it may be.

Cochrane is nearer to Foothills and Bragg creek is closer to Rockyview but both are still aprox 30-40 min drive away.

Some of my colleagues husbands are with the Calgary police!!

Amanda
I'm not sure I bought the right book when I was over. Is it the same exam for psych nurses as general nurses, because when I flick through the prep guide there is a lot of stuff in it that I have not got a clue about!

Really scared now after looking through the guide.

Sharon
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
I'm not sure I bought the right book when I was over. Is it the same exam for psych nurses as general nurses, because when I flick through the prep guide there is a lot of stuff in it that I have not got a clue about!

Sharon
Hi Sharon,
Did you manage to get the mock exam questions from the psych.
nursing students when you were over there? Out of curiosity,I
did look throught the exam questions ,I found 40% were general
med/surg. questions and 60% psych.

The good news is that most psych. nurses passed the exams
the first time.They said that the mock exam questions ,Psychotropic
Agents (latest Edition by Ralph)
and the general med/surg. guide prep book were very helpful.

You can write to a psych. nursing college in Calgary (or ask your manager)
to purchase the mock exam questions and Psychotropic Agents book
from them.
Hope that helps.
Yoong
Old Jan 4th 2008, 1:52 am
Just Joined

Hi Amanda

Thanks for the reply, I will order the book and have a look.

Can I ask you what happened with regards to your annual leave, did the Health Authority recognise your length of service for the purpose of annual leave or did you start at the bottom of the scale, as I hear it is not that good?

I have over 10 years service with the NHS, having been a Registered Nurse for a little over 3 years, so my leave is about 8 weeks ( inc bank holidays) a year so I think I will find the lack of annual leave difficult.

Are they quite flexible on the shifts. i.e. can you mix days and nights, work long days or do you have to say that you will do nights and they make you do so many months of them before allowing you to change etc?

If you don't mind, can I ask if you find that you are better off salary wise.

We are going to drive around the surrounding areas of Calgary when we visit in February, can you recommend any places. Are there any real problems with commuting on the roads with snow or are they all open? Initially we intend to rent for 6 months and see what happens.

Ideally we want to choose an area in which to rent in Feb, and then an aim to buy after 6 months. Means that our daughter can go to the same school without having to move about. Our middle daughter is hoping to go to Uni in Calgary and our oldest daughter is looking for a PR type job.

Cheers Judith
Hi Judith,
Unfortunately the annual leave is not as good as the UK. Here you accumulate hours over time. I get approx 140 hrs a year but bearing in mind, I work part time so only maybe need 20hrs off to get 2 weeks off!!

With regards to shifts, they are different lines (8hr days/nights, 8hr days/evenings, 12 hour days/nights or you can go casual).

Having a line means either full time or part time, my line is 0.6 ( part time) 10hr line but I pick up more if I want. I don't want to be full time so this suits me. With this I get health care benefits but it does mean I have set days that I have to be at work. Casual is where you don't have a line but just pick up shifts that suit you. Advantages are that you work what you want, disadvantages are that you don't get paid benefits and it depends on how short staffed unit is, how many shifts you get booked. Pros and cons for both, depends what your circumstances are and whether you partner has a job with good benefits!!

Salary is good here, you get paid fortnightly. If you haven't sat your Canadian nurses exam, they will employ you as a grad nurse until you pass. This is at a reduced rate of pay, i think it's about $25 /hour , don't quote me but I wll find out. Once you have passed exam, it depends on your experience. I managed to prove my years of service in UK from employers and current sit at level 9 which is highest paid and just under $40/hour. Wages are better and go further here and I'm always getting called to see if I want to do overtime which is double time!!

If your daughter is planning to go to Calgary Uni, it might be as well to look in NW of Calgary for homes, and Foothills would be the nearest hospital. Stay away from NW Calgary (poorer area if there is one!!). Houses cost approx $1700 up to rent monthly and to buy house depends on size, area. Prices have really rose recently but approx $420,000 will get you a nice house.

With your husband job in the police and your job, you guys should have a good standard of living!!

Foothills hosp does have the majority of the Cardiology units, if you like I could forward your details or get you some contacts. You'll have no problem getting hired!!!

Does your husband know where he will be based in the city??

Have you been here on vacation? If you would like, I could try and meet up with you on your visit for a coffee and discuss all your issues/concerns.

Regards

Amanda
Old Jan 4th 2008, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by boxerdog03

Sharon
When I sat the exam, it was more psychosocial than general nursing questions,
first of all don`t panic!! When are you sitting the exam.

There is a course run by Bow Valley College to assist immigrants study and prepare for their nurses exam when they move here. I think it is once a week study session for about 12 weeks, if you feel you need it. I have a contact if you feel it would help you.

Amanda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.