My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Old May 15th 2014, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My experience so far - Applying to AHPRA

Originally Posted by nellienoo78
Sorry me again can you give anyone's address for consent to talk about it? Can they be in either country - U.K/Australia?
Hi,

I couldnt find any guidance notes anywhere about this question so I just put my twin's details down, again they havent said that's wrong so fingers crossed!
Old May 18th 2014, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Hanny76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am also in the process of applying but am struggling with the form, sorry if any of my questions are repeats! I really need it spelling out! Here goes!

What exactly is a notary person? I read on one visa help page that a doctor could sign certificates? Has anyone else read that? I also have lots of certificates and transcripts so trying to do as cheaply as poss!

Question 7? I just don't get it? Surely the answer is no at the moment?!

Question 28 third party authorisation? Is that to do with your qualifications ? Or can it be anyone? Who would people recommend to put? Friend/rel/ employer/partner!

Sorry if any of this is totally obvious!

Thanks! :-)
Old May 19th 2014, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hanny76
Hi I am also in the process of applying but am struggling with the form, sorry if any of my questions are repeats! I really need it spelling out! Here goes!

What exactly is a notary person? I read on one visa help page that a doctor could sign certificates? Has anyone else read that? I also have lots of certificates and transcripts so trying to do as cheaply as poss!

Question 7? I just don't get it? Surely the answer is no at the moment?!

Question 28 third party authorisation? Is that to do with your qualifications ? Or can it be anyone? Who would people recommend to put? Friend/rel/ employer/partner!

Sorry if any of this is totally obvious!

Thanks! :-)
Hi there,
I am currently undergoing the same process so may be able to help.
You need your documents certifying as you cannot send in original copies, I literally just googled 'notary of the public' in you local area and it gave me a list, they are essentially solicitors with a special license who can stamp your photocopies of Passport etc to say they have seen the original copies and they are true.
The cost varies so I'd ring around to get quotes, I had around 14 documents certified which cost me about £110 if i remember correctly. Some people have been able to attend their local Mags court and have them done for £25 but others (like me) had to pay a bit more.

As for your questions I cannot remember what the numbers corresponded to but as for third party authorization, I put my sisters details and they havent said that was incorrect...yet. I don't know what N#7 relates to sorry!

My big piece of advise would be to get in touch with the NMC asap and request a letter of verification to be sent from them to the AHPRA office that you are applying to, I did this nearly 4 weeks ago and after phoning them today, they are yet to send this out and have told me that due to "being really busy" they wont be sending it out for another "few weeks" even tho it states 5 working days on their website! This will also cost you £34.

Oh and sign and date each page of your CV and not just the last, as I found out after having sent my application, I had to send another one.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!
Old May 19th 2014, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh how disgraceful of NMC is that? Never mind, at least your application is lodged.
Between AHPRA and NMC, lets hope we never have to depend on either of them in a crisis!
Old May 19th 2014, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
Oh how disgraceful of NMC is that? Never mind, at least your application is lodged.
Between AHPRA and NMC, lets hope we never have to depend on either of them in a crisis!
Hi Dave,

No not a happy bunny as you can imagine, my only real concern is that AHPRA stated that they would need this letter from NMC within 30 days after ! I hope this won't affect my application as I wouldn't fancy having to resend it all again, have emailed (of course ) and are waiting a reply from my case worker, fingers crossed
Old May 19th 2014, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Yvette, that's really helpful thanks! Question 7 relates to your place of work being the same as your residential address? I don't have a place of work in Oz yet?! So I would think the answer was no but not sure?
That's really helpful about the NMC, I wasn't sure if I should send ASHR 40 first or send back my form to nmc? Or what Gap to leave between the two?
Also my Uni have sent me the letter verifying their accreditation etc, can I send it on to the board if I send it separately from my application?! Sorry for all the questions!! Finding it all a bit tricky!! :-(
Old May 19th 2014, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Yvette, that's really helpful thanks! Question 7 relates to your place of work being the same as your residential address? I don't have a place of work in Oz yet?! So I would think the answer was no but not sure?
That's really helpful about the NMC, I wasn't sure if I should send ASHR 40 first or send back my form to nmc? Or what Gap to leave between the two?
Also my Uni have sent me the letter verifying their accreditation etc, can I send it on to the board if I send it separately from my application?! Sorry for all the questions!! Finding it all a bit tricky!! :-(
Hi Hanny,

Ok question 7 I thin everyone gets stuck on, I put my residential address (question 6 i think) then left the next question blank.
Im not sure but I think you have to get the uni to send stuff directly to the AHPRA rather than sending it on yourself, I just emailed the uni with the link to the 2 forms they want sending (it related to 2 points on the new assessment criteria, you can download the forms on the webiste) and they sent that off for me.
Also, I think the form you need is the AGSO-40 for overseas nurses, not sure what the ASHR-40 is?
If you have any other documents that you need to send that are not enclosed with your application don't worry they'll all get there to the right person, eventually!

If you have any questions just keep them coming, theres always someone who will know the answer for you, this forum is great like that.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Yvette! Yes think it was a weird autocorrect with the form! I have the right one Thank God! Things seem a little clearer now! Just need to find a notary who doesn't want to charge me £20 a sheet now! :-( I am bound to have more questions so thanks again for the help!! :-) x
Old May 20th 2014, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Yvette! Yes think it was a weird autocorrect with the form! I have the right one Thank God! Things seem a little clearer now! Just need to find a notary who doesn't want to charge me £20 a sheet now! :-( I am bound to have more questions so thanks again for the help!! :-) x
Wow £20 per sheet, good God, does that come with a kidney or something as well?! haha.
I'm sure that you'll be able to get it much cheaper than that, I'd try your local magistrates court, solicitors and even your local hospital, they have Notary's of the Public in loads of different venues/organisations, just got to find an affordable one.
Where abouts in the Uk are you? I can always have a nosey for you too. x
Old May 20th 2014, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Yvette, I have tried the Hospital, nobody to do it, Birmingham magistrates £25 per paper! Various local solicitors £20-40 per paper :-( had one quote of £75 for all! So think that's my best bet! Xx
Old May 21st 2014, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Yvette, I have tried the Hospital, nobody to do it, Birmingham magistrates £25 per paper! Various local solicitors £20-40 per paper :-( had one quote of £75 for all! So think that's my best bet! Xx
Hi Hanny,

Yeah I think that's going to be your best offer I reckon!
I had a call from my uni yesterday saying that I had to pay for them to send copies of my transcript to AHPRA, that cost me £20. You will also need to ask the uni to do this for you, along with the new assessment criteria for overseas nurses (the x2 forms your uni need to send) you have to be able to demonstrate that your nurse training covered 'pharmacology' (pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics), to do this your uni has to send a copy of your nursing transcript of study to AHPRA, I would also get on this soon as I thought this had been done about a month ago and it wasnt!

Hard work this isn't it! I'll be glad when this AHPRA thing is finished! xx
Old May 21st 2014, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi yvette!

Yes the whole process seems very complicated at the moment! My Uni has sent my transcripts and a cover letter which includes the things stated on the form. I understand I need to attach the transcript with my application but was wondering if I could seen the cover letter from the Uni separately? X
Old May 21st 2014, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hi yvette!

Yes the whole process seems very complicated at the moment! My Uni has sent my transcripts and a cover letter which includes the things stated on the form. I understand I need to attach the transcript with my application but was wondering if I could seen the cover letter from the Uni separately? X
Hi hanny,

No that's fine hun you don't need to send the transcript with your application, it's the uni that sends it directly to you along with those other 2 letters xx
Old May 28th 2014, 7:33 am
Just Joined

LishaNurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille
Hi there,
I am currently undergoing the same process so may be able to help.
You need your documents certifying as you cannot send in original copies, I literally just googled 'notary of the public' in you local area and it gave me a list, they are essentially solicitors with a special license who can stamp your photocopies of Passport etc to say they have seen the original copies and they are true.
The cost varies so I'd ring around to get quotes, I had around 14 documents certified which cost me about £110 if i remember correctly. Some people have been able to attend their local Mags court and have them done for £25 but others (like me) had to pay a bit more.

As for your questions I cannot remember what the numbers corresponded to but as for third party authorization, I put my sisters details and they havent said that was incorrect...yet. I don't know what N#7 relates to sorry!

My big piece of advise would be to get in touch with the NMC asap and request a letter of verification to be sent from them to the AHPRA office that you are applying to, I did this nearly 4 weeks ago and after phoning them today, they are yet to send this out and have told me that due to "being really busy" they wont be sending it out for another "few weeks" even tho it states 5 working days on their website! This will also cost you £34.

Oh and sign and date each page of your CV and not just the last, as I found out after having sent my application, I had to send another one.

Hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Hey Yvette!

Been reading all these lately so helpful. It was just regarding the CV. My app has been received by ahpra and there are a few things i need (COGS obviously, when isnt the nmc slow!) and i need to do the form again as i think i must have had the form before the 10th feb. I also answered a few things wrong.

They have not yet said anything about my cv - i only signed it on one page but i have heard conflicting stories that some people didnt need to sign both, so would they have asked me about this or is it worth me getting the CV signed on both sides now? Sorry if i dont make much sense ive just finished a night shift!

Ive got flights to asia booked in jan so want to get my reg back pronto. What is the next phase after you've paid and had your documents checked? is it qualification? if so maybe my CV will be okay? i just dont want to send another hard copy of my app form and then have to send my CV on top of that.

Also - my officer gave me an email, has anyone found out if the nmc can email over the documents? This is the email:
Your application for registration as a nurse in Australia has been received, however it is incomplete. Please provide the following information and evidence within 30 days.

1. Please advise if you wish to apply for registration as a Registered Nurse or as an Enrolled Nurse, as you have not indicated that on your form.

2. Registration history: A Certificate of Registration Status or Certificate of Good Standing (COGS/CORS) is required from every jurisdiction outside Australia in which you are currently or have previously been registered as a health practitioner during the last 5 years. Please arrange for original Certificates to be forwarded directly from the licensing or registration authority in the United Kingdom to AHPRA. This can be submitted via direct post or emailed to
[email protected].

3. Suitability statements: We note that on question 21 “Do you hold, or have you previously held, registration in the profession overseas?” you answered “No”. This question refers to holding registration as a nurse outside of Australia, which you have. As a result of answering no, you have not answered questions 22, 23 and 24. Please answer the following questions – via email is acceptable.

Q. 21: Do you hold, or have you previously held, registration in the profession overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 22: Is your registration in any profession currently suspended or cancelled in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 23: Have you previously had your registration cancelled, refused or suspended in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 24: Has your registration ever been subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £

From 10 February 2014, the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) will use a new model to assess the qualifications of international nurses and midwives, to make sure they are substantially equivalent to Board-approved Australian nursing and midwifery qualifications.

A new form has been created and is attached. Please fill it in and submit it with your outstanding documents.

Your application will remain incomplete until outstanding documents are received. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions or require clarification.

who knows eh? xxx
Old May 28th 2014, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LishaNurse
Hey Yvette!

Been reading all these lately so helpful. It was just regarding the CV. My app has been received by ahpra and there are a few things i need (COGS obviously, when isnt the nmc slow!) and i need to do the form again as i think i must have had the form before the 10th feb. I also answered a few things wrong.

They have not yet said anything about my cv - i only signed it on one page but i have heard conflicting stories that some people didnt need to sign both, so would they have asked me about this or is it worth me getting the CV signed on both sides now? Sorry if i dont make much sense ive just finished a night shift!

Ive got flights to asia booked in jan so want to get my reg back pronto. What is the next phase after you've paid and had your documents checked? is it qualification? if so maybe my CV will be okay? i just dont want to send another hard copy of my app form and then have to send my CV on top of that.

Also - my officer gave me an email, has anyone found out if the nmc can email over the documents? This is the email:
Your application for registration as a nurse in Australia has been received, however it is incomplete. Please provide the following information and evidence within 30 days.

1. Please advise if you wish to apply for registration as a Registered Nurse or as an Enrolled Nurse, as you have not indicated that on your form.

2. Registration history: A Certificate of Registration Status or Certificate of Good Standing (COGS/CORS) is required from every jurisdiction outside Australia in which you are currently or have previously been registered as a health practitioner during the last 5 years. Please arrange for original Certificates to be forwarded directly from the licensing or registration authority in the United Kingdom to AHPRA. This can be submitted via direct post or emailed to
[email protected].

3. Suitability statements: We note that on question 21 “Do you hold, or have you previously held, registration in the profession overseas?” you answered “No”. This question refers to holding registration as a nurse outside of Australia, which you have. As a result of answering no, you have not answered questions 22, 23 and 24. Please answer the following questions – via email is acceptable.

Q. 21: Do you hold, or have you previously held, registration in the profession overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 22: Is your registration in any profession currently suspended or cancelled in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 23: Have you previously had your registration cancelled, refused or suspended in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £
Q. 24: Has your registration ever been subject to conditions, undertakings or limitations in Australia (under the National Law or a corresponding prior Act) or overseas?
Yes £
No £

From 10 February 2014, the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) will use a new model to assess the qualifications of international nurses and midwives, to make sure they are substantially equivalent to Board-approved Australian nursing and midwifery qualifications.

A new form has been created and is attached. Please fill it in and submit it with your outstanding documents.

Your application will remain incomplete until outstanding documents are received. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions or require clarification.

who knows eh? xxx
Hi there Lisha,

Welcome to the awkward world of nursing registration in Oz!
I have made the same mistakes as you it would seem; question 21) I answered "No" but told this was wrong as I do have registration in Uk and not outside of uk? Confusing or what?! but I was allowed to answer it correctly by email so didn't have to submit another application.

With the CV initailly I had only signed the last page (as Im pretty sure thats what it says in the guidance, unless we're all just not reading it properly but I dont think so) now they havent come back to say that was incorrect, however I just thought that rather than wait for them to say it was wrong and to send another one which would further delay things I just sent one anyway.

The NMC were "very busy" so took a month (and not 5 days like stated on their website) to send my COGS so I phoned and asked if they could email it (as stated by my case officer also) but they refused and said that they wouldn't email any documents it had to be sent by post

Ok as far as i know (and I could be wrong as I'm not yet registered) but the assessment is in 2 stages, firstly someone will assess your application making sure that you have all the necessary paperwork, COGS etc, then when they have all this the second stage is to assess your qualification and this is where they will need your transcripts of study, CV, statements of employments, proof of training etc. My application (which was received by AHPRA on 1/5/14) is not yet at the second stage of assessment as they're still waiting for the COGS so I don't know how long that second stage takes im afraid. They are all assessed individually so I guess it's different for everyone depending on how much they have to assess.

I hope this helps a little. Keep us posted on how you get on, its always helpful to know how others have gotten on.

On a separate note, you holidaying in Asia before you get to Oz? My favorite continent on earth! xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.