midwifery salaries

Old Feb 13th 2008, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice
Default midwifery salaries

hi all

we are just trying to work out what salary i would be on if i worked in the surrounding areas of perth.

i have been qualified as a midwife for 3 years, it will be nearer 4 years by the time we get to oz, i completed the shortened 18 month version of the course as i was already a registered nurse.

we have been lookin at a few web site but we are still confused.

if anybody could help with a rough guide we would be very grateful

thanks

suzie and gaz

ps i only work 30 hours in uk and wish to work the same amount of hours in oz.

thanks again

suzie and gaz
xx
Old Feb 13th 2008, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice
Default Re: midwifery salaries

in edit

i found what i was looking for during a search in the forums, that gives ideas on each job/profession

if any midwives out there in perth would i be right in expectin 880 ish per week for ft?

thanks

suzie
xx
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by suziegaz
in edit

i found what i was looking for during a search in the forums, that gives ideas on each job/profession

if any midwives out there in perth would i be right in expectin 880 ish per week for ft?

thanks

suzie
xx
Where did you find that info? I looked for ages and couldn't find anything. Duh
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

hi charlie-k

not very good at puttin links in to messages but i will try

Read Me: the official jobs/wages thread...

i found this in a sticky on wages, and found the link below on page six lol

http://jobsearch.gov.au/joboutlook/d...CategorySearch
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

woo hoo charlie-k

i did it, i managed to put in the link lol

suzie
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:12 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i worked in perth and lots of other remote areas of WA for this agency,they were great and pay well too...agency is good to do when you first get here as you have flexibility to fit round family life and you can check out all the hospitals and see which one you like..

in remote areas you get to rent houses for $50-$150 a week and they pay travel expences too..it was great for us as we were travelling round australia in a caravan.

it's www.wana.com.au
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by why
i worked in perth and lots of other remote areas of WA for this agency,they were great and pay well too...agency is good to do when you first get here as you have flexibility to fit round family life and you can check out all the hospitals and see which one you like..

in remote areas you get to rent houses for $50-$150 a week and they pay travel expences too..it was great for us as we were travelling round australia in a caravan.

it's www.wana.com.au
Suziegaz, thankyou, and well done re the link!
WHY - what a good idea re Agency. I actually do have a job to go to but certainly need flexibility and want the freedom to move if I want to.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzie,
I was chatting to a friend on facebook who tells me that her friend earns about 60,000 AUD per year.

I know, afriend of a friend of a friend of a friend.....
but if she is right then we need to do some serious negotiating hm?
Old Feb 15th 2008, 8:06 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

hello again.
i work as a child health nurse (a bit like a health visitor in UK)
i am a level 2 RN
in SA there are level 1 RN which is most nurses and sadly midwives too
there are 9 years of increment payments and an RN1 year 9 will earn the same as a level 2 first year...you get extra payments for post grad certificates courses and degrees (i get less pay than my friend as i don't have a degree) it's not much more. then as and RN 2 i work mon-fri 9-5 so probably get less than an RN1 on shifts (the penalty rates are pretty good)
there is a massive restructure happening in nursing in most states of Australia. in SA the restructure of nursing means that most RN1 will become RN2 as they have a lot of experience and post grad qualifications (because we are all old!!!) you apply for it individually.Midwifery is changing here...it has been very medically dominated (still is) but midwifery as a profession is rising up...they now have direct entry midwifery (which is still ridiculed here sadly by many nurses and midwives) practice is changing and changing very fast..
i feel really good and positive about it.

working as a midwife doing agency is great!!! usually you get to go to the same place most of the time..and don't have to be involved in any work politics (each shift is a contained unit of work) the thing is. there is lots of work you can pick and choose really..it's harder to get work in popular areas. look
back in 2001 i went to a country town in WA did 10 shifts, free accommodation and cheap/free food,paid petrol money and came out with $2500 after tax

at the moment i earn about $64k and a have an easy job.
A level1 on shifts would probably get more
my friend is a level4 manager and is on $85k
if you work in remote areas you can get $100k
trouble is the tax is a killer
when my kids were small i used to work part-time and got a mortgage on that income (that was 10 years ago)
when i first came out here in 1987 i came to a job and i hated it and left after 6months and then did agency for three years and travelled about a bit..i'd say keep your options open and contact WANA

good luck nurseymidwife friends
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

WHY,
what a great post! Very informative, thankyou.

I am I direct intake Midwifein the UK. The skills I brought with me into the Midwifery field were vast and often come in very handy. I must say that when i first trained 8 years ago, Direct Entry was slightly ridiculed in some areas but they were usually the old school Midwives who were ready to retire. It will be interesting to experience peoples views in Australia. Western Australia Nursing Board have only very recently begun accepting applications from Direct Entry Midwives.
I, and I am sure many others appreciate your candidness.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

why

wat a fab post, i have to agree with charlie and find that your balanced view on wages and work were great, i am not expecting to earn mega bucks in oz, as long as we are comfortable and the hours are reasonable, we will be happy.
i would however be interested in your comments on further education in oz, i have had several interviews for school nurse and health visiting but unfortunately never got passed the interview but this is an area that i still would like to further myself in, wat would be the opportunities and cost in oz ( course is paid for in uk and a wage too)

thanks
suzie
xx

ps charlie i still reelin that i managed to get a link into my post

suzie
xx
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

ps charlie i still reelin that i managed to get a link into my post

He He
Old Feb 15th 2008, 12:48 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

further ed..
it's a nightmare here really
i did a course at flinders uni in 2004 as soon as i finished i got a level 2 job
i had a hecs debt which i paid for through my tax for a couple of years..so in a way you pay but you don't have to pay up front
i'll send you some other links when i get chance
getting into community nursing is a great idea at this moment in time as health is flavour of the moment and the government is making more and more nursing posts in community as it's much cheaper to have people at home. so there is a boom in hospital at home stuff and all aspects of community health. there are new programs starting up all over australia that a midwifery lead. they are keen on English trained midwives and all the english midwives i have known have done well and have opportunities to get on if you want to. best not to keep going on about the UK though just say "i've got a good idea" and everyone will copy you.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

thanks why,

i will have to remember that 'i have an idea', it must sound so much better in a lot of instances lol

will look forward to the links for community,

thanks for all your help

suzie
xx
Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:20 am
why
BE Forum Addict

here's a link to community nursing in south australia

http://www.flinders.edu.au/courses/postgrad/child.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.