Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

IELTS 'vs' Occupation Lang Test. 8 or B needed - What's your experiences?

IELTS 'vs' Occupation Lang Test. 8 or B needed - What's your experiences?

Old Sep 7th 2014, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Molly dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IELTS 'vs' Occupation Lang Test. 8 or B needed - What's your experiences?

Hi all,

I'm applying for an independent residency visa (189/190) all ready to submit, but the ielts test is my stumbling block. I need a score of 8 over all four domains to score the points I require. Despite two attempts (revision and tuition prior to the last try) I can't get my reading score above 7.5. I don't where I went wrong this time as I was really happy with my attempt (not like the first attempt which also got a 7.5 strangely).

What are people experiences of sitting the Occupational Test achieving a B for max points? Are there less 'tricks' to watch for?

I'm a UK trained nurse taking the test in New Zealand. While I'm a native English speaker I meet others from Asia taking the test for 5th and 8th time. At $350 a shot !!!!!
Thanks
Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IELTS 'vs' Occupation Lang Test. 8 or B needed - What's your experiences?

Are you taking the general IELTS for your points?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Molly dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IELTS 'vs' Occupation Lang Test. 8 or B needed - What's your experiences?

Yep General. I'm thinking of changing the organisation I sat the with. I really can't understand what went wrong with my reading test this time. I know Waikato ielts said they used Asian markers as they were more precise then English markers make of that what you will. Or changing to a 189 where I'll have enough points. I may be better waiting the two years for my NZ passport !
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get your required results with some help. I know a very good IELTs tutor here in the UK, who will assist you online. She has an overall 96% success rate. It could be money well spent. Let me know if you wish me to put you in touch with her.

Originally Posted by Molly dog
Yep General. I'm thinking of changing the organisation I sat the with. I really can't understand what went wrong with my reading test this time. I know Waikato ielts said they used Asian markers as they were more precise then English markers make of that what you will. Or changing to a 189 where I'll have enough points. I may be better waiting the two years for my NZ passport !