ICU nurse moving to Aus ICU or community

Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

leer0yh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ICU nurse moving to Aus ICU or community

Hi All

I'm a critical care nurse of 2.5 years in London, I've done a critical care course and have a 2yr PG Dip nursing qualification from King's College London.

I'd like to know:-

-Could I go to Aus and just work as agency staff in ICU? What are the agency rates?

-Could I move straight into community nursing with the above credentials?

I'm interested primarily in NSW (Central Coast area ideally) or anywhere on the coast.

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ICU nurse moving to Aus ICU or community

Originally Posted by leer0yh
Hi All

I'm a critical care nurse of 2.5 years in London, I've done a critical care course and have a 2yr PG Dip nursing qualification from King's College London.

I'd like to know:-

-Could I go to Aus and just work as agency staff in ICU? What are the agency rates?

-Could I move straight into community nursing with the above credentials?

I'm interested primarily in NSW (Central Coast area ideally) or anywhere on the coast.

Thanks
Is your nursing qualification at degree level?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

It's above degree level - postgraduate - level 7.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:38 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It's above degree level - postgraduate - level 7.
Is is an actual degree..ie Bsc?

All Australian nurses now have a degree as all nurse training is degree level.

Many UK nurse are diploma trained.

AHPRA require degree level qualifications in order to register

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 4th 2016 at 1:40 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

It's a 2yr postgraduate diploma which is marked at master's level (level 7).

BSc degrees are marked at level 6.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:51 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting one...I wonder how AHPRA will view it with their insistence on a 'degree' - any ideas Grayling?

OP - we aren't trying to nitpick so much as work out what line AHPRA will take - uti recently they were happy with UK diploma trained nurses, but then overnight they started insisting on a nursing degree. for you
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Indeed....but you may need basic nurse training at degree level in order to register.

Many UK nurses have been unable to register because their basic training was a diploma.

If you do not have a basic degree you will need AHPRA to agree that your general qualifications are adequate.

Was your basic nurse training a degree?

It is not a trick question....AHPRA can be quite pedantic.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Interesting one...I wonder how AHPRA will view it with their insistence on a 'degree' - any ideas Grayling?

OP - we aren't trying to nitpick so much as work out what line AHPRA will take - uti recently they were happy with UK diploma trained nurses, but then overnight they started insisting on a nursing degree. for you
Well.....it should be OK but who knows with AHPRA
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:33 pm
Just Joined

Yes I know they can be pedantic so it's probably best I find out now!

Basically there's a new course for nurses in the UK that's only been around for a couple of years.

If you already have a 3yr bachelors degree (mine's in graphic design), you can apply to do a 2yr postgraduate nursing degree to become a nurse instead of the 3yr bachelors nursing degree. It encompasses all the basic training of the 3yr BSc in 2 years, and is marked above it, at masters level. So my basic training was done at least at BSC level.

I did hear about the problems people had with diplomas, but thought this was because they were below BSc level, which isn't the case with my course.

Anyway if they accept my course, could I go to Aus and move straight into community nursing from ITU?
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

OK

This is the first time anyone with this qualification has posted on here.....that I know of.

You need to look at the AHPRA website and read about their requirements for registration. Training has to meet AFQ (Australian qualifications framework) level 7.....which is an Australian Batchelor's degree

There are also specific requirements about which modules You have completed and number of hours of training, clinical practice etc.

You will only find out if your qualifications are acceptable by contacting AHPRA....they will not have much experience with your type of training so it will be interesting to find out how you get on.

This training programme did not exist when I worked in Nurse Education in England...and it is the first I have heard of it.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

As for working you will first need to register and then get a visa....will not be a quick process.

As far as finding jobs go you will need to apply for them same as in UK.

Just be aware that many services have been cutting back and less jobs are available and many employers are simply looking for basic level nurses.

Agency work is available everywhere but you may not need to be too choosy if you want regular work.

Be wary of temporay sponsored visas as they tie you to an employer.

You can work in any field you want to if you can find a job......I am not sure community nursing in Australia is the same as in the UK
Old Feb 4th 2016, 3:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Looking at the AHPRA website.....they require 800 hours work experience.

Were you able to do this amount during the two years?

I am sure you qualification will be OK but it is things like this they may be a bit sticky about.

Last edited by Grayling; Feb 4th 2016 at 3:26 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

Yes I did 1400+ hrs over the two years. I've just checked my PADs!

I remember now that they told us we'd be doing all of the placement time on the 3yr course but fitting it into 2 years.

I think the problem arises because many years ago there used to be a DipHE qualification which wasn't as good as a degree. But then for nursing at least, they brought in my course which also was called a diploma and was a bad idea.

Since this course though, I've also completed a critical care course over 10 months marked at BSc level and also my mentorship course also at BSc level, so I have degree level credits there too.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

PS thanks for all the above advice - much appreciated.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 5:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

PS thanks for all the above advice - much appreciated.
I agree with Grayling, I'm sure you're the first poster to have mentioned this new course so it will be interesting to see what happens. Wouldn't mind betting AHPRA haven't heard of it yet either

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.