Hospitals/Community

Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:48 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hospitals/Community

The thing I find most difficult to understand is that UK nurses are most sought after, and recognised as being more advanced than the australian nurse. But the australian nurse for what ever reason does not seem to challenge their role. Level 3 nurses seem to be more autonomus but I have not as yet discovered the bounderies they work in.

I have never before been in the possition where ward managers chase me for a role on their ward and stress how much a nurse from the UK is valued. Having made just a tentative enquiry to a local hospital no CV sent only one telephone conversation.

I found this as well when I tried to hand in my notice as I had mentioned on here a few weeeks ago that I was not going to stay in district nursing. Well one of the the level 3 nurses had wondered if I was thinking about leaving although I had not mentioned anything and I have to say that I have been supprised by the fact that the issues I raised where addressed very quickly and I even received an apology for one issue not being resolved within a week! There was a meeting held involving 4 nurses of level 3 and above (without my knowledge) working out what they could do to keep me. So I will be staying for the time being and I will take each day as it comes. I do wonder about boredom though. I miss having students (did I really say that) I love teaching my job. I think the only thing I actually miss from the uk is my old job.

Sarah
Old Jun 9th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
That would make me livid Rachel! The thing is why do Dr's in Oz want to be glorified nurses or midwifes!? Surely if they can do less work and let a nurse or midwife do it they would? Think you have done the right thing moving out of the private sector - if I have a baby in the future will def be going public as i'm very against C sections unless absolutely essential - ie. mother or baby's life endangered.
What does the QNC say about Dr's making all decisions and are Australians happy to go along with this!?

Lynn
The drs in the private sector have to attend the birth otherwise they are not covered by their insurance. So, I guess they don't have a choice. They also argue that the women are 'their patients' and expect them to attend as they have paid for the service.

The public sector is years behind the uk. I have always worked in a system where midwives led the care and referred to the drs if pregnancies moved outside 'normal'. Most women would never see a dr. Here the obstetricians lead the care. There is a real battle going on in Australia between obstetricians and midwives for control. A recent maternity review (which looked at what women want) has called for women-centred, community based care led by midwives with access to drs if/when needed.

The drs are fighting this move all the way, publically slamming midwives. There are often newspaper articles and news items featuring drs slagging off midwife-led care. A dr recently referred to a birth centre as 'the killing fields'! Women, midwives and The Australian College of Midwives are fighting their corner. But, I am not used to this level of spite and professional disrespect. I am polishing my armour and sharpening my sword

Essentially it is about choice for women. They can choose to go private and/or have a c-section. But, they can't choose to give birth in a midwife led unit. Or to have a homebirth attended by a midwife because independent midwives can't get insured and the public sector does not offer this service. Some women are opting for unassisted homebirths as they don't want to go into a hospital.

Rachel
Old Jun 10th 2005, 5:10 am
Redland Bay - 22/06/04

LaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud ofLaraandBryn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RReed
The drs in the private sector have to attend the birth otherwise they are not covered by their insurance. So, I guess they don't have a choice. They also argue that the women are 'their patients' and expect them to attend as they have paid for the service.

The public sector is years behind the uk. I have always worked in a system where midwives led the care and referred to the drs if pregnancies moved outside 'normal'. Most women would never see a dr. Here the obstetricians lead the care. There is a real battle going on in Australia between obstetricians and midwives for control. A recent maternity review (which looked at what women want) has called for women-centred, community based care led by midwives with access to drs if/when needed.

The drs are fighting this move all the way, publically slamming midwives. There are often newspaper articles and news items featuring drs slagging off midwife-led care. A dr recently referred to a birth centre as 'the killing fields'! Women, midwives and The Australian College of Midwives are fighting their corner. But, I am not used to this level of spite and professional disrespect. I am polishing my armour and sharpening my sword

Essentially it is about choice for women. They can choose to go private and/or have a c-section. But, they can't choose to give birth in a midwife led unit. Or to have a homebirth attended by a midwife because independent midwives can't get insured and the public sector does not offer this service. Some women are opting for unassisted homebirths as they don't want to go into a hospital.

Rachel
hi there
for all the reasons above that is why i have decided to sit back in my career.after years of fighting in the uk to be regonised as a professional as both a nurse and midwife i have come here to find we are back in the 80's when i first started!!
the fight in me has gone,why do nurses/midwifes allow this downgrading to occur???
i can not cope with being the stroppy outsider again.I loved midwifery and i loved the job i had in the nhs before leaving,i can not work to that level with that respect here.
for me the fact that i have 3 boys and a good social /hobby filled life compensates somewhat.if i was young without kids and very into my career as i used to be i would not choose to live here in queensland.i say QLD as i have heard other states can be better.
with regard to trying to go over the doctor on the choice of dressings as i earlier mentioned,i am always being told no ,what more can i do??i need a job and some money.
think long and hard about these issues,for some it can be the make or break of life in austarlia.i know lots of unhappy brits who are going back.
there is no nurse precribing at present ,some standing orders only.i have just read also that drs ahve voted to not allow nurse precribing or referrring.they must feel so threatened by us.
oh well rant over.i'll have a beer!!
Lara
Old Jun 10th 2005, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LaraandBryn
hi there
for all the reasons above that is why i have decided to sit back in my career.after years of fighting in the uk to be regonised as a professional as both a nurse and midwife i have come here to find we are back in the 80's when i first started!!
the fight in me has gone,why do nurses/midwifes allow this downgrading to occur???
i can not cope with being the stroppy outsider again.I loved midwifery and i loved the job i had in the nhs before leaving,i can not work to that level with that respect here.
for me the fact that i have 3 boys and a good social /hobby filled life compensates somewhat.if i was young without kids and very into my career as i used to be i would not choose to live here in queensland.i say QLD as i have heard other states can be better.
with regard to trying to go over the doctor on the choice of dressings as i earlier mentioned,i am always being told no ,what more can i do??i need a job and some money.
think long and hard about these issues,for some it can be the make or break of life in austarlia.i know lots of unhappy brits who are going back.
there is no nurse precribing at present ,some standing orders only.i have just read also that drs ahve voted to not allow nurse precribing or referrring.they must feel so threatened by us.
oh well rant over.i'll have a beer!!
Lara
Hi Lara
I think the fact that they are getting so threatened suggests we are a threat. They are fighting a losing battle. There is not enough drs and they will have to devolve some of their work load to nurses/midwives. As I pointed out at my interview - calling a dr to suture a woman after birth is not a good use of resouces or cost effective. That is just one example. There are signs that nurses are developing their skills and practice and broadening their role. Problem is they are often still being paid level 1 wages for their extra role and responsibility.

I feel that the lifestyle here for myself and my family far outway the professional issues I am facing. But, I wasn't prepared for such a huge difference in the expectations of my role.

Rachel
Old Jun 10th 2005, 11:35 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to both Lara and Rachel for your views - they are so interesting - I feel now fully prepared for what to expect in nursing in QLD.

I am not actually that ambitious anyhow - I think I will be more than happy to start a family and work part-time in community or GP. I guess less of an extended role=less responsibility=less stress. I am moving for a better lifestyle/ less stress. As long as me and my hubbie earn enough money to live the sort of life we have dreamed for Australia - we are just relying on him getting a decent job as a senior design engineer, like what he does in the UK - he is the one with all the ambition and drive.
I also feel like I have been the only one with a voice in UK at times but it seems to get you nowhere - think its time even at the age of 25 to sit back and relax - spend time with my patients doing the job to the best of my ability.

Lynn

p.s karma coming both your ways for being so honest and helpful.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Thank you to both Lara and Rachel for your views - they are so interesting - I feel now fully prepared for what to expect in nursing in QLD.

I am not actually that ambitious anyhow - I think I will be more than happy to start a family and work part-time in community or GP. I guess less of an extended role=less responsibility=less stress. I am moving for a better lifestyle/ less stress. As long as me and my hubbie earn enough money to live the sort of life we have dreamed for Australia - we are just relying on him getting a decent job as a senior design engineer, like what he does in the UK - he is the one with all the ambition and drive.
I also feel like I have been the only one with a voice in UK at times but it seems to get you nowhere - think its time even at the age of 25 to sit back and relax - spend time with my patients doing the job to the best of my ability.

Lynn

p.s karma coming both your ways for being so honest and helpful.
You will be fine! The move is worth it in every way except perhaps professionally (initially). It depends what is important to you. I have no regrets about moving here. I love the lifestyle! In fact, professionally it could be a positive move. I have managed to get a level 2 post based on the experience I gained in the uk. Despite the constraints on my profession here, I feel that as an individual there is plenty of opportunity to climb the career ladder if I can be arsed
Rachel x
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

You will be fine! The move is worth it in every way except perhaps professionally (initially). It depends what is important to you. I have no regrets about moving here. I love the lifestyle! In fact, professionally it could be a positive move. I have managed to get a level 2 post based on the experience I gained in the uk. Despite the constraints on my profession here, I feel that as an individual there is plenty of opportunity to climb the career ladder if I can be arsed
Rachel x

Can someone direct me somewhere to get some info on the various levels that a nurse can achieve. I dont quite understand it. Im a community psychi nurse, G grade, 15 yrs experience. What level can I expect to get in Oz and how do you go up a level?

Appreciate any advice.

Paul
Old Jun 10th 2005, 12:38 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulb
Can someone direct me somewhere to get some info on the various levels that a nurse can achieve. I dont quite understand it. Im a community psychi nurse, G grade, 15 yrs experience. What level can I expect to get in Oz and how do you go up a level?

Appreciate any advice.

Paul
Hi Paul.
Here in queensland a level 1 RN is d/e grade equivalent, level 2 f/g etc. There is an increment system for each level, to go up an increment you need to prove the amount of clinical hours worked, 1976 hours equals 1 increment point. Its really important that you provide proof from your uk employer of hours worked or you will automatically be paid on the first increment, they are really strict about that here. I got a letter from HR from my last job in the uk and asked them to add my other hours and jobs from my application form which luckily they agreed to.
I was an F grade cpn with 10 years post reg experience, and am a level 2 point four here, as I worked part time for a few of those years.(I spent the first 12 months as a level 1 though, familiarising myself with the system etc, only just got level 2 job but f grade hours still bumped up my increment)
Good luck,
Michaela

Last edited by ANA123; Jun 10th 2005 at 12:43 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Hi Paul.
Here in queensland a level 1 RN is d/e grade equivalent, level 2 f/g etc. There is an increment system for each level, to go up an increment you need to prove the amount of clinical hours worked, 1976 hours equals 1 increment point. Its really important that you provide proof from your uk employer of hours worked or you will automatically be paid on the first increment, they are really strict about that here. I got a letter from HR from my last job in the uk and asked them to add my other hours and jobs from my application form which luckily they agreed to.
I was an F grade cpn with 10 years post reg experience, and am a level 2 point four here, as I worked part time for a few of those years.(I spent the first 12 months as a level 1 though, familiarising myself with the system etc, only just got level 2 job but f grade hours still bumped up my increment)
Good luck,
Michaela

Thanks for that Michela, understand it now. Will get HR to do a letter quoting my hours of employment for the last 15 years. Im sure it will be no problem!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by paulb

Appreciate any advice.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Level 1 = registered nurse - working on the ward/community. Level 2 = clinical nurse - leadership and management role in the clinical area. Level 3 = nurse unit manager - the one in the office. The pay rates are here:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/industr...es_nursing.asp

You automatically go up points ie. level 1 with 3 years full time = Level 1.3 up to level 1.8. Then you get stuck unless you apply for a Level 2 post.

However, the levels thing varies between areas and hospitals. Some place it may be easy for you to get a level 2/3. I'm not sure about community mental health nursing, but I would guess they will be level 2.

I am working in a public hospital on the sunshine coast. They do not have a shortage of nurses/midwives because they are in an area people want to live in. Therefore, it is almost impossible to get a permanent post. Most work casual. They work casual for years and years with a regular roster. The hospital does not need to pay them more for casual if they have more than 24hrs notice of a shift - therefore they costs the same as a permanent.

When a permanent level 1 post comes up loads of people apply. The application process is very very long winded. It starts with selection criteria which you have to write at least a page for each. It is so complicated getting exactly what they want that many pay for consultants to help. The interview is also very structured and relates to the selection criteria. They give you the questions 15mins before the interview. You answer while they tick off the keywords/issues you mention. Very odd. They then collect references which are also structured and specific questions. Once they have all this imformation/scores they have a panel meeting and decide who gets the post. The whole process from advertisment to acutually working is about 3 months.

Because the process is so long winded and intimidating not many people bother with level 2 or level 3 posts. Also many departments don't have level 2 posts and level 1 nurses/midwives do level 2 work (not very fair). I managed to get a level 2 permanent post. But, I think there is a fair bit of resentment from midwives who have been casual for years. I haven't started the job yet, but I think I am in for a bit of a rough ride. I asked someone (at a 'leadership' workshop thing) why she hadn't applied for the post - she said that she couldn't face the selection criteria. It doesn't help that I am a direct entry midwife. Something they are not familiar with here. My line manager has basically told me that management are really excited about having a direct entry midwife with a fresh perspective, but the midwives on the shop floor are questioning my competence because I am not a nurse. Great - can't wait to start!

I will try and attach my level 2 selection criteria (they are on page 10). I had to give examples of how I had demonstrated them, and how it was successful. Anyone who wants my answers pm me.

Rachel x
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SC-SD05-052-PD.pdf (116.6 KB, 151 views)
Old Jun 11th 2005, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

coxdebra will become famous soon enough

Hi Paul,

Level 1 = registered nurse - working on the ward/community. Level 2 = clinical nurse - leadership and management role in the clinical area. Level 3 = nurse unit manager - the one in the office. The pay rates are here:

You automatically go up points ie. level 1 with 3 years full time = Level 1.3 up to level 1.8. Then you get stuck unless you apply for a Level 2 post.

However, the levels thing varies between areas and hospitals. Some place it may be easy for you to get a level 2/3. I'm not sure about community mental health nursing, but I would guess they will be level 2.

I am working in a public hospital on the sunshine coast. They do not have a shortage of nurses/midwives because they are in an area people want to live in. Therefore, it is almost impossible to get a permanent post. Most work casual. They work casual for years and years with a regular roster. The hospital does not need to pay them more for casual if they have more than 24hrs notice of a shift - therefore they costs the same as a permanent.

When a permanent level 1 post comes up loads of people apply. The application process is very very long winded. It starts with selection criteria which you have to write at least a page for each. It is so complicated getting exactly what they want that many pay for consultants to help. The interview is also very structured and relates to the selection criteria. They give you the questions 15mins before the interview. You answer while they tick off the keywords/issues you mention. Very odd. They then collect references which are also structured and specific questions. Once they have all this imformation/scores they have a panel meeting and decide who gets the post. The whole process from advertisment to acutually working is about 3 months.

Because the process is so long winded and intimidating not many people bother with level 2 or level 3 posts. Also many departments don't have level 2 posts and level 1 nurses/midwives do level 2 work (not very fair). I managed to get a level 2 permanent post. But, I think there is a fair bit of resentment from midwives who have been casual for years. I haven't started the job yet, but I think I am in for a bit of a rough ride. I asked someone (at a 'leadership' workshop thing) why she hadn't applied for the post - she said that she couldn't face the selection criteria. It doesn't help that I am a direct entry midwife. Something they are not familiar with here. My line manager has basically told me that management are really excited about having a direct entry midwife with a fresh perspective, but the midwives on the shop floor are questioning my competence because I am not a nurse. Great - can't wait to start!

I will try and attach my level 2 selection criteria (they are on page 10). I had to give examples of how I had demonstrated them, and how it was successful. Anyone who wants my answers pm me.

Rachel x
Thanks for that detailed information Rachel, its was fab. Has put me in the picture. I had a feeling they were really specific, I have applied for a level 2 position in child health but it was only open to public sector employees. needless to say my application got thrown out at the first hurdle - ie I did not mach the job spec due to not working in the public sector is Aus!!! The manager did give me some feedback, however, and said I need to take the job spec and do a sort of spreadsheet by matching my skills to it. So I am doing that with another job I want to apply for. I am going for level 2 posts because I have a diploma in community school nursing. Thanks again, Debs
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=RReed]Hi Paul,

Hello, just checked out those pay scales. Who or what positions would be a level 4,5,6 or 7

Cheers
Gill
Old Jun 14th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Gill and Rob]
Hi Paul,

Hello, just checked out those pay scales. Who or what positions would be a level 4,5,6 or 7

Cheers
Gill
They would be the 'invisible' people with all the power . I think the Director of nursing would be level 4, District Director of Nursing Services level 5. Don't know who would be level 5,6 or 7. I have not seen a level 5, 6 or 7 advertised.
Rachel
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

anna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant futureanna marie shlyshen has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Hospitals/Community

[to sarah i wonder if you can help .I am a rgn arrived in brisbane amd i would like to get a job in the community or gp or medical practice here.Unfortunately I have not had experience in these areas but only in hospital wards.Do you know if you can get a job in Austrailia without having had previous experience.THANKS also this is the first time I have used this forum if anybody can help me with this please reply.
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:45 am
ad4ozz

This may help previous post sent to me.....

Dear ad4ozz,
I am working as a Clinical Nurse with a community palliative care organisation in Brisbane at the moment. It's called Karuna Hospice Service, and we care for palliative patients at home who need symptom control, support, general nursing care, and who often die at home. Karuna is a Bhuddist organisation, so we have a few Nuns in orange robes floating around the offices, but most of the nurses are not Bhuddist (me included). I love the job...but beware, there are different awards in Queensland with different wages and conditions. At Karuna (as with most community nursing jobs) we come under the domicillary award, under which the wages are far lower than the hospital awards.
Not only am I paid less than my husband (a nurse at the Mater Hospital) but I get less holidays (only 5 weeks a year including public or bank holidays, while he gets 6 weeks). At Karuna I also have to be on-call at least two nights a week, which means I work a normal shift from 8am to 4pm, then have a pager via which any of our patients can call me at any time during the evening or night (and have frequently done so during the early hours). I then have to phone them and may have to go out to visit...and some of these people live up to an hour away from where I live. Then after a broken nights sleep, I have to go into work and do another full day...possibly being on call that night as well.
The other community organisations that provide some palliative care are the Blue Nurses, and St.Lukes. Mt.Olivet is an in-patient facility which does do some community care for it's own patients South of the river. Other good in-patient facilities (where you would be paid properly) include the Wesley Hospital (a private hospital in Auchenflower) and Prince Charles PCU in the Northern suburbs. There is also Canossa Hospice in Oxley in the South West.
If you want more info about any of these places just post a question and I can get details such as addresses, phone numbers etc.

Brisbane community more

Dear Ann and Carolyn,Community palliative care services are provided by the following organisations. As I highlighted in a previous post, check out the wages and conditions, as they are not so good in community nursing.Blue Care Nursing Service.www.bluecare.org.auHead Office, 56 Sylvan Road,Toowong, Qld.ph: 3377 3377fax: 3377 3366St.Lukes Nursing Service.www.stlukesnursing.org.au138 Juliette Street,GreenslopesQld.ph: 3421 2800fax: 3421 2888 Karuna Hospice services.Building 1, Cartwright Street,Windsor,Qld.ph: 3857 8555fax: 3857 8040If either of you need anymore info just post up a question (I usually log on every couple of days...like most other people on this site I'm a bit addicted).Good Luck, Fran

Good nursing job site

Was browsing net and found this really good nursing job site - seems to have quite a few community jobs as well for me in QLD

www.careerone.com.au

Really happy now - seems to have a better /up to date selection of nursing jobs than seek.com.au.

THINK IF YOU PUSH AND THEY NEED PEOPLE EXPERIENCE MAY NOT ALLWAYS MATTER... .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.