HELP with new model AHPRA

Old Feb 27th 2014, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Lgriff7113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation HELP with new model AHPRA

hey,

I was wondering if anyone has completed the overseas AHPRA application using the new model to assess the qualifications of international nurses and midwives, i am a reg nurse from the UK and i am confused by this new model, can anyone give me any advise on this??
this is the page with the info but its not helping me at all :

http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov...ia-nurses.aspx
Old Mar 1st 2014, 7:52 am
Just Joined

bigmac1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP with new model AHPRA

Originally Posted by Lgriff7113
hey,

I was wondering if anyone has completed the overseas AHPRA application using the new model to assess the qualifications of international nurses and midwives, i am a reg nurse from the UK and i am confused by this new model, can anyone give me any advise on this??

On another forum someone spoke to the NMC who are now apparently aware of the changes & can provide the necessary proof to cover the new criteria. The one (I think it's criteria 8) that asks about pharmokinetics etc seems to be posing the most problems. I'm waiting to hear from APHRA if they've even received my application & expect to be asked for extra proof to meet the new criteria.

Last edited by bigmac1; Mar 1st 2014 at 7:55 am.
Old Mar 1st 2014, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a degree qualified RN or RM in the UK you are eligible to register in Australia.

Originally Posted by Lgriff7113
hey,

Old Mar 1st 2014, 6:40 pm
Just Joined

skwalsh1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
i am also confused with this new model from APHRA, I am a diploma trained MH nurse from the UK. I am not sure if i will now be able to register due to the new criteria, can anyone clarify?
thanks in advance
Old Mar 1st 2014, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Lgriff7113 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies. I am still confused tho as to how I show I meet the criteria in the new model? Has anyone applied since the new model has started?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

We are currently getting AHPRA applications back in 5-7 weeks. Which offices are you sending your applications to?

Adelaide and Sydney are notoriously slow and always have been.

As for the changes, We queried this at an AMRANZ meeting in December and came to the conclusion that it is mostly scare tactics in that if you are working as an RN in the UK, Are NMC registered you WILL get registration with AHPRA. You won't have to go on a bridging course or take any extra exams so don't worry!

AHPRA only started back up at full capacity (Whatever that means) after Australia Day meaning that they have only really been working for 4 weeks so far this year.

Anyone with any really urgent and pressing questions please feel free to PM me as our registrations consultant speaks to AHPRA day in day out pushing our nurse rego's through. However, we can't do this if you are already tied to another agency.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm also given to understand that, due to the number of enquiries at the UK end, the NMC have started a dialogue with AHPRA to clear up issues relating to "proof" of study areas. I believe these relate to sections 3 and 8. I'd suggest a quick email to AHPRA stating "in view of the recent discussions between AHPRA and the NMC can you please re-state the issues that you wish me to address"
Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:00 am
Just Joined

hales79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, i have also been informed by AHPRA that i need to send further information relating to section 2,3 & 8 of the new criteria. My application was lodged in June 2013! i moved to Oz in Nov as my visa conditions stated i had to be here before Dec. which is frustrating as i was skilled assessed and sponsored by my father and just awaiting registration over here, if i had known it was going to take this long i still didnt have the option to remain in the uk until my reg was sorted. I trained in the uk and worked there as a registered nurse for 5 years and expected no problems but as you can imagine finances are stretched if i didnt have my father to help me i would of had to return to the uk, i have since joined an agency as a nursing assistant but i have yet to get shifts!! and other agencies need 6 months experience in Australia or i am over qualified!! my concern is criteria 8 in the new requirements which states:-

Certification from your education institution, provided directly to AHPRA, that you successfully completed your course of study which covered medication management including drug calculation, pharmacokinetics (the study of the bodily absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion of drugs and pharmacodynamics (the study of the biochemical and physiological effects of drugs and the mechanisms of their action in the body).

Im hoping the university can provide what they need? ( cant remember every seminar,) as they already have a transcript of study. I am diploma qualified not degree so im also worried now that i may have to do further modules!! does anyone know if the diploma would of covered these requirements?? i have had no feedback and not a lot of good communication either i am still waiting for the letter to tell me i need this info i only found out because i phoned them, despite the fact the deadline date of the extension lapsed on the 28 th of Feb!! if anyone can help or advise i would be grateful