English RMN one year post-qual looking to move to NZ

Old Dec 26th 2016, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

DizzyWeasel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default English RMN one year post-qual looking to move to NZ

Hi everyone.

I'm an RMN currently working in London. I have one year's experience as a Band 5 on an in-patient unit and have been working as a Band 6 for a few months now.

I'm thinking about moving to New Zealand sometime next year to work there for at least a year. I've been to NZ before on holiday. I completely fell in love with it and have wanted to go back ever since.

I have a few questions that I hoped you could help me with.

Is it necessary to go through an agency to find a job? Is this the best way of doing things, and what have people's experiences been so far?

How do I avoid getting tied in to a job? For example, if I take a job and I hate the hospital or the location, will I have to stay there for a set amount of time because of my visa or will it be easy to move on?

What sort of wage will I be looking at given my current experience and how does this compare to the cost of living? I've heard grumblings that the wage for nurses in NZ is pretty poor, and of course I want to be comfortable whilst living there.

What's the holiday entitlement like? Whilst I'm on the other side of the world I would like to travel a bit!

What are the mental health services in NZ like? Is there anything that is in stark contrast to services in the UK?

Currently I work in perinatal mental health on a mother and baby unit- I think I already know the answer to this, but does NZ have any kind of similar services?

What location should I be looking to work in? I am going on my own and won't know a single soul on that side of the world. I remember parts of NZ being very remote and I'm worried about becoming isolated, especially with working shifts. In terms of my hobbies, I enjoy hiking, running, being outdoors, exploring new places. I would love to learn to ski whilst I'm out there. I remember when I visited I completely fell in love with Queenstown and in my heart I feel like that's where I would love to return to. But I'm worried I have a rose-tinted view of the place- what's it really like to live there?

If there's anything else I haven't considered or you think would be useful please let me know. I'm looking for any advice I can get!

Thanks!