ED uk nurse to California

Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Ednurseem27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ED uk nurse to California

Hi everyone! Can anyone offer some advice on what uk courses they have taken to complete the US requirements in obs/gynae/ paeds etc training that uk universities don’t teach? Also I’ve read we need to do practical sessions too? Is that true and where have you done it/ how many hours? Many thanks ))
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ED uk nurse to California

Your transcripts require both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Obstetrics, Adult and Mental Health. Usually clinical has to be done at the same time. I had just over 75 hours each in Mental Health and Obstetrics and well over hours in Adult and Paeds and managed to register in 2 states before settling in Canada. There are rumours of a school in the UK offering the make up hours but you may need to check that the course will be accepted by the state. Also be aware CA is one of the hardest states to get registered in and unless you have a US SSN you can’t apply there until in the US with a valid visa allowing you to live and work and can apply for a SSN
Old Mar 24th 2018, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Ednurseem27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Your transcripts require both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Obstetrics, Adult and Mental Health. Usually clinical has to be done at the same time. I had just over 75 hours each in Mental Health and Obstetrics and well over hours in Adult and Paeds and managed to register in 2 states before settling in Canada. There are rumours of a school in the UK offering the make up hours but you may need to check that the course will be accepted by the state. Also be aware CA is one of the hardest states to get registered in and unless you have a US SSN you can’t apply there until in the US with a valid visa allowing you to live and work and can apply for a SSN
Thanks so much that’s a very helpful reply
Old Oct 19th 2018, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

NurseDeeva is an unknown quantity at this point

hello
thank you for the info, please what state diid you manage to register with? And what u i did attend over in the UK?
What is it like to work as a nurse in the US?
Thank you
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NurseDeeva

hello
thank you for the info, please what state diid you manage to register with? And what u i did attend over in the UK?
What is it like to work as a nurse in the US?
Thank you
as mentioned I have settled in Canada. I registered with both New York and Arizona
Old Oct 20th 2018, 9:49 am
Just Joined

as mentioned I have settled in Canada. I registered with both New York and Arizona
Thank you for ur reply. Pls Did u have issues with the clinical hours peads, mental health when regiserting with Newyork and Arizona?
Please what university did u attned and when did u qualify? I am asking this question because i want to know how u were able to have over 75 hours in peads?

thank u

I qualifed 2015 and i remember doing MT placement and labour ward placement but not peads placement but lectures on peads. I currently work IN ED and we are required to work in peads and have i been sent on various training on peads. I also care for Pregnant women everytime. So my question will be would i be able to use those hours if i am
short of hours instead of going back to university?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 20th 2018 at 9:22 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2018, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NurseDeeva
Please what university did u attned and when did u qualify? I am asking this question because i want to know how u were able to have over 75 hours in peads?

thank u
i Trained back in the 80’s and did an 8 week placement in Paeds so actually did well with clinical and we did 2 weeks of theory in school prior placement. I qualified in 88 as a Enrolled Nurse and bridge to RN in 97 and only had to do Obstetrics and Mental Health and requirements more than met the 2 states
Old Oct 20th 2018, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for ur reply.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

I actually went from the UK to California in the late 80’s. I was recruited by a nursing agency in the UK. They did all the paperwork and flew us out to CA for a 2 week speed course before we sat the CA boards. When I went out to CA the company paid for my H1 visa flight and accommodation and of course I had a job with a hospital.
I renewed by CA license every 2 years. After a few years I got my green card then I left the company and found my own job apartment and eventually became a citizen. I now live in Florida and have a FL license ( I never renewed my CA license ) it’s cheaper to live in a Florida
i am now looking to go back to the UK but the revalidation process is crazy as you have to know a UK nurse who is active on the registry.
I wish you luck in your quest to be state side.