Do I need to retrain to become a midwife in Oz?

Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Evibean is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Do I need to retrain to become a midwife in Oz?

I am currently a Midwife in Bury England and am looking to move to Australia. Will I have to retrain to practice over there????
Old Apr 21st 2004, 1:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to retrain to become a midwife in Oz?

Originally posted by Evibean
I am currently a Midwife in Bury England and am looking to move to Australia. Will I have to retrain to practice over there????
No one seems to have answered this.
Most UK registered Nurse qualifications are acceptable in Australia so I would imagine Midwifery would be as well.
Try the ANC website:
www.anci.org.au

Good luck
G
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:20 pm
The Ormes

louise orme is on a distinguished road

Hi, im not a midwife, but am a nurse, all you need to do is a skills assessment with the aus nursing council and british trained nurses are snapped up, good luck
Louise x
Old Apr 21st 2004, 8:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by louise orme
Hi, im not a midwife, but am a nurse, all you need to do is a skills assessment with the aus nursing council and british trained nurses are snapped up, good luck
Louise x
Just a tip.
If you register with a state first you only have to do a modified (cheaper and shorter) assessment with the ANC to get your points. It is quicker ,easier and cheaper.
If you register in one state you can then register in others through mutual recognition.
Good luck
G
Old Apr 21st 2004, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do I need to retrain to become a midwife in Oz?

You won't have to retrain going from the UK to Aus. the UK qualifications are wholly recognised, As a number of others have said, you will need to obtain state registration before you can practice in Australia.

Where are you planning to go?