Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

Do I apply for the Working holiday visa first or nursing registration through APHRA?

Do I apply for the Working holiday visa first or nursing registration through APHRA?

Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:33 pm
Just Joined

NNRoxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I apply for the Working holiday visa first or nursing registration through APHRA?

I'm a paediatric nurse, been qualified for 3 years. Wanting to travel and work in Oz. Thinking of going on the working holiday visa (I'm 30) so will need to apply asap. Is it best to get the visa first then look into the registration process? Also does anyone have any idea roughly how long both of these things can take?

Thank You
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I apply for the Working holiday visa first or nursing registration through APH

Originally Posted by NNRoxy
I'm a paediatric nurse, been qualified for 3 years. Wanting to travel and work in Oz. Thinking of going on the working holiday visa (I'm 30) so will need to apply asap. Is it best to get the visa first then look into the registration process? Also does anyone have any idea roughly how long both of these things can take?

Thank You
AHPRA can take months to get sorted, so definitely apply for that first. A WHV can be granted in a matter of days.

Be warned though, you can only do 6 months for one employer on the WHV, and while you might be lucky enough to pick up some agency work, its equally possible that you wouldn't get any chance to do any nursing. Many people who emigrate on permanent residency visas take months to get nursing positions, so keep your employment options open.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

NNRoxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I apply for the Working holiday visa first or nursing registration through APH

Thank you the reply! I thought that may be the case, with regards to taking a while to sort out. I will keep other employment options open as well.