Do English-speaking/trained inurses still need IELTS?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:47 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do English-speaking/trained inurses still need IELTS?

Originally Posted by sbrock11
Hi all!!,

I called AHPRA this morning regarding the IELTS test in which they told me i do not have to sit this as all my education if english taught and assessed. i checked with 3 different call handlers in oz.

hope this helps!
but my friend got an email saying the opposite
he's doing it this saturday, so will go and do it anyway ... but i think its very poor showing by the ahpra when they are giving out conflicting information.

very poor show indeed
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

itsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura aboutitsmylife has a spectacular aura about

I wonder if they'd like to refund all of us who had to do the blooming test a year ago

trust me to get shafted at every turn.

sorry am pee-d off right now as house still not sold and am going to have to tell employer that I can't make it for start date in December
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

sbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nice

Originally Posted by itsmylife
I wonder if they'd like to refund all of us who had to do the blooming test a year ago

trust me to get shafted at every turn.

sorry am pee-d off right now as house still not sold and am going to have to tell employer that I can't make it for start date in December
they wont refund me after i only just found out on wednesday night!! my test is supposed to be tomorrow! just make a decision so there isnt so much confusion!! cant be that hard surely
Old Aug 28th 2010, 10:08 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

I have put a thread up in the immigration forum to see if any agents can shed any light on this ... i think the ahpra's bad management is going to cause some serious upset for some, and i think we need some official clarity.

I think its a serious enough issue to complain to govt about - if it turns out you do need to do the test and some of you have cancelled or just not done the test based on what someone in the ahpra has incorrectly told you, then i think there should be some recourse for thier actions.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

sbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nicesbrock11 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
I have put a thread up in the immigration forum to see if any agents can shed any light on this ... i think the ahpra's bad management is going to cause some serious upset for some, and i think we need some official clarity.

I think its a serious enough issue to complain to govt about - if it turns out you do need to do the test and some of you have cancelled or just not done the test based on what someone in the ahpra has incorrectly told you, then i think there should be some recourse for thier actions.
TWT i most definatly agree with you on this!!! 3 seperate people at AHPRA have told me we do not need it so if this comes back i will be kicking a storm!!
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

today's Courier Mail (Qld) has this article. on the subject of international registrations.

This is taken from it :

An AHPRA spokeswoman last week said consistent criteria would be finalised for overseas applicants.
The AHPRA website last posted information about international applicants on August 18.
Nursing and Midwifery Board spokeswoman Nicole Newton has defended the handling of registrations.
"Processing applications is a priority but the Board's role is to protect the public," Ms Newton said.
She said an international applicant who had completed their high school education overseas at a school where English was the first language, would not have to sit the exam.
Ms Newton said it was still yet to be determined whether nurses who had gone ahead and paid to sit an English exam would be able to get a refund.
She said AHPRA is making contact with each international applicant to reassess their registration.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 5:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
today's Courier Mail (Qld) has this article. on the subject of international registrations.

This is taken from it :

An AHPRA spokeswoman last week said consistent criteria would be finalised for overseas applicants.
The AHPRA website last posted information about international applicants on August 18.
Nursing and Midwifery Board spokeswoman Nicole Newton has defended the handling of registrations.
"Processing applications is a priority but the Board's role is to protect the public," Ms Newton said.
She said an international applicant who had completed their high school education overseas at a school where English was the first language, would not have to sit the exam.
Ms Newton said it was still yet to be determined whether nurses who had gone ahead and paid to sit an English exam would be able to get a refund.
She said AHPRA is making contact with each international applicant to reassess their registration.
And further today -
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225914035758

The board, which falls under the newly created Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, changed their criteria for international applicants who had applied for registration, seven weeks after it began operation. This meant international applicants who had completed their high school education overseas at a school where English was the first language did not have to sit an English test.
Health Minister Paul Lucas slammed the handling of registrations.
''I am all for standards that maximise patient care but it is simply ridiculous to be putting native English speakers through courses they don't need to do,'' he said.

I would suggest, as Paul Lucas has come out so openly in support of NOT sitting IELTS, that anyone having problems should contact HIM
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:40 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

This is fantatstic news!

I filled in my application form for IELTS last month but forget to send it.
I went to do it today and read through the AHPRA guidelines again. I saw the new info, came on here to double check and ....woohooo

Glad I didn't send it now
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Zeneco26 is on a distinguished road

Just found out I got 8.0 on my IELTS (I'm Spanish), lodged my visa this morning and posting my application for AHPRA today.... Hope everything is ready for the 8th November to start my job in Melbourne!!!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

BrendonE is on a distinguished road

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke with Elkie from APHRA and she told me that all International Applicants other than Australians have to now do the IELTS test. Apparently last week there was a meeting and this is what has been decided. So even if you have done a degree in English you still have to sit the IELTS. I have also rung someone else and am awaiting for them to come back to me. It is unbelievable how they keep changing their minds. I will let you know what the other contact says when they come back to me. Adele
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrendonE
I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I spoke with Elkie from APHRA and she told me that all International Applicants other than Australians have to now do the IELTS test. Apparently last week there was a meeting and this is what has been decided. So even if you have done a degree in English you still have to sit the IELTS. I have also rung someone else and am awaiting for them to come back to me. It is unbelievable how they keep changing their minds. I will let you know what the other contact says when they come back to me. Adele
Aphra have updated their website today and this is going to be the FINAL word on assessment.

Go to www.ahpra.gov.au and on their home page on the RHS under NEWS and click on Update for International Nurses and you will get all the information there.

Update for International Nurses (178 KB,PDF)
Old Sep 16th 2010, 7:30 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Aphra have updated their website today and this is going to be the FINAL word on assessment.

Go to www.ahpra.gov.au and on their home page on the RHS under NEWS and click on Update for International Nurses and you will get all the information there.

Update for International Nurses (178 KB,PDF)
The update doesn't say anything new about English language requirements.
The English language requirements are still saying if your secondary education was taught and assessed in English then no IELTS required
Old Sep 17th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Hi, I have just spoken with Philip at AHPRA and all nurses from the UK and anywhere else other than Australia, regardless if they have done their secondary education in English do have to do the IELTS test. Apparently Philip was informed about this on the 9th September, so not good news!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Hi, I have just spoken with Philip at AHPRA and all nurses from the UK and anywhere else other than Australia, regardless if they have done their secondary education in English do have to do the IELTS test. Apparently Philip was informed about this on the 9th September, so not good news!
Anyone got any further with this?? New Zealand nursing council have closed their website to new international applicants until the end of sept, some changes to the process are being made. I'm hoping that if Aus have scraped the EILTS for UK educated nurses then NZ will soon be following!!
Old Sep 21st 2010, 10:27 am

Yet my friend has been given a categorical no to the question of whether he needs ielts, he has a great long list of emails he has sent and been replied with a no ...

their standards still state any internationally trained nurses need ielts.

bloody confusing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.