BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Old Apr 7th 2015, 10:56 am
Just Joined

sunshinelover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Hi with regards to the CoC....does anyone know what "proof" is needed. I'm actually still training so I could possibly get this done while I'm still here in the UK. Just a thought! Any advice welcomed!!xx
Old Apr 7th 2015, 10:58 am
Just Joined

sunshinelover is an unknown quantity at this point

Just done some research and found this:

Experience in woman-centred care as part of continuity of care experiences. The student is supported to:
establish, maintain and conclude a professional relationship while experiencing continuity with individual women through pregnancy, labour and birth, and the postnatal period, regardless of model of care
provide midwifery care within a professional practice setting and under the supervision of a midwife—in collaborative practice arrangements supervision by other relevant registered practitioners (for example, medical officer qualified in obstetrics, child health nurse or physiotherapist) may be appropriate
engage with a minimum of 10 women—engagement involves attending four antenatal visits, two postnatal visits and, for the majority of women, the labour and birth
maintain a record of each engagement incorporating regular reflection and review by the education or health service provider.

Does anyone know if this has to be "signed off" by anyone as proof or can we just keep a record ourselves?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

There is a form on the AHPRA web site. However, it has to be undertaken during training, not Post Graduate.
Old Apr 21st 2015, 7:17 am
Just Joined

saadinecan is an unknown quantity at this point

hey Saturdaygirl, how did you apply to the hospitals? Did you respond to an advertisement or did you call up the hospitals and enquire?

In in Sydney now so hoping I have more of a chance and like you said I won't mention the condition until they ask!
Old Apr 22nd 2015, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Saturdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

I responded to adverts only. Would of gone with the other route if there had been no adverts.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking for Midwives in Sydney. They MAY accept COC supervision condition. It really depends on the calibre of Australian applicants at the time.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

bananamum is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting thread guys. I'm so indecisive as what to do. I've been qualified for 18months as a RM and my husband is a jcb driver/ground worker about to sit his Hgv class 2 next week.
Looking through this thread, it seems near impossible to secure employment in Oz for RM's at the moment which is very disheartening.
Does anyone have any recent experience of successfully securing a job?

Thanks
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Claydo2112 is an unknown quantity at this point

This page is very interesting, I am 3.5 months away from qualifying as a MW here in the UK, we want to emigrate once I have gained a years experience at least but I will be bringing my husband and 2 children. We were thinking of getting a permanent visa for skilled worker. From what I can make out I would need to apply for a job and then disclose the supervision condition and hope they still want me?? This seems a bit secretive but if it's the only way to secure a job it's worth it?
I was wondering if anyone had a permanent visa and whether this would increase my chances of employment??
Obviously i need to get my kids into school and we are looking Brisbane area. Anyone got any experience of this with a family and not a WHV??
Thanks in advance 😘
Old Apr 28th 2015, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bananamum
Interesting thread guys. I'm so indecisive as what to do. I've been qualified for 18months as a RM and my husband is a jcb driver/ground worker about to sit his Hgv class 2 next week.
Looking through this thread, it seems near impossible to secure employment in Oz for RM's at the moment which is very disheartening.
Does anyone have any recent experience of successfully securing a job?

Thanks
It's possible to get a Midwifery role with supervision - hospitals are beginning to realise that they need to take this onboard if they wish to avoid a crisis level shortage.

This whole CoC thing is NOT a clinical issue - it is to do with documentation during training. I even heard recently that a Professor of Midwifery could not get FULLY registered with AHPRA because she does not have the CoC component.

@bananamum - based on your current situation, you will have 2 years Post Grad experience by the time you are in a position to relocate - this will meet the minimum criteria set by our Australian hospital clients.

I mostly work with Private Hospitals, and they MAY offer a 457 visa sponsorship if you choose to consider that path. It will depend on supply and demand and usually means that you need to look at less popular locations. Usually, you can discount Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane cities - but it will depend on what the demand is at the time you apply.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 1:43 am
Just Joined

saadinecan is an unknown quantity at this point

What places have you found in Sydney that may take CoC supervision?
Old Apr 29th 2015, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saadinecan
What places have you found in Sydney that may take CoC supervision?
None in Sydney as it is popular with midwives who don't need Supervision.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:22 am
Just Joined

emmajep is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!
Looking for a bit of support with the same issue...

From reading this thread it appears I may have got further along this obstacle course than some. Hopefully we'll be able to find others who have reached the finish line to help us!

My story... I applied for my Skilled Visa (Perm. Res 189) 3 months after first starting my first post-qualifying year as an RM.

The processs was
1) AHPRA application..... and as is standard, it took way longer than any other element and was still not approved 12 months later when I arrived in Australia

2)IELTS (because i've not been working as a midwife for 3+ years)
3)ANMAC skills assessement
4)Visa application

2/3/4 were very simple if you follow the instructions for each organsiation to the letter.

AHPRA gave me conditional registration which I contested.... another 5 months later they rejected my argument and registered me with conditions. - and needing more paperwork because your NMC letter of registration only counts for 3 months... (like you have chance of AHPRA sorting your reg is 3 months!)

Finally registered... with said conditions for supervision ( based on COC stuff).

So, here'e where I am...

I applied for a government hospital job (an hour out of Adelaide as there are currentlyno positions in public or private hospitals in the city). I was successful at interview for a casual position and then told them about my conditions. This is when previous mention of part-time / more hours went out the window.

They looked into the requirements and in fairness it is a nightmare for me aswell as the hospital.

Its not just a case of supervision for 12 months, but a 'plan' not disimilar to student assessments.

It appears (someone please correct me here!!!!) that they are required to asssess every single competancy (complete with an actionplan to be reviewewd ) - even though its only competancy 5 we 'failed' in the original application.

In addition, it appears we have to do 10 caseloads (15-20hr each one, with 4 AN visits, 2 PN each, and we have to attend the births of at least 5). WTF!

So, i'm an hour away with casual hours (and no other job!) The manager at the hospital has suggested I may have to do it in my own time to get it done. Not an issue as a student (where I completed 4 by the way, 5 minutes from my house), but here is a bit different!

I hope I've contributed a bit of info... If anyone can help clarify the logistics of actually getting supervision signed off i'd be grateful!

Emma
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Why 12 months supervision for CoC - it's only 3 months!
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:35 am
Just Joined

emmajep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by genorm
Why 12 months supervision for CoC - it's only 3 months!
Sorry, yep. Its worded something like 12 months supervision (reviewed after 3 months full time equivalent).

Very confusing!
Old Apr 29th 2015, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't understand why hospitals are having to "look" at the requirements. Surely it's up to AHPRA to advise them what is required.

Then again, AHPRA is about as well run as a dodo breeding centre!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.