BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Old Dec 19th 2014, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Snaylorthesnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

I heard back from AHPRA last week, and was informed I had to do 3 months supervised practice, so it seems the rumours of them reducing the supervision is true. I also heard from a recruitment agency that the job market for overseas midwives are slow at the moment and I might struggle to get a job (I heard before I knew I wasn't allowed to use a recruitment agency). I've sent my CV to a couple of hospitals in Sydney but not heard back yet, and not sure where else to try really. Gutted my Oz adventure I plans are starting to disappear... Any suggestions would be great!
Old Dec 19th 2014, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Why can't you use an agency?

Are you a stand alone midwife or do you have general registration as well?

Would you be prepared to go "bush" if you could get a supervised position?

No promises, just trying to help :-)
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

No I have general registration and work in the NHS in the UK, but AHPRA stipulate certain conditions for supervised practice, including not being allowed to use a recruitment agency-though I've no idea what the logic in that is.
The other condition is that supervised practice is in an institution approved by AHPRA for student midwives on placements. So I think that rules out anywhere too rural. Shame because I'd be happy to have a challenge of somewhere different!
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try to speak to AHPRA on Monday - maybe they mean an nursing employment agency that you work for, but i'll check.

AHPRA are getting a bit bossy. They are NOT a hospital CQC - they are a registering agency.

However, both hospitals I have in mind are teaching hospitals, so they should not be a problem.
Old Dec 19th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

I hadn't even considered that it might mean agency work rather than a recruitment agency-I assumed recruitment agency because I had already been thinking of using one. And yep you're right-AHPRA are definitely getting bossy!
Old Dec 20th 2014, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

I take it you are still in the UK? Do you need sponsorship or are you arranging your own visa?
Old Dec 20th 2014, 9:47 am
Just Joined

I've got a working holiday visa, only want to be away for a year, and yes still in the uk.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Saturdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi snaylorthesnail, how long have you been qualified and do you have any COC experience? Been in Perth 7 weeks now with Aphra regs (12 months supervision) and applied for few jobs but been told not a good time re Christmas etc.

Think I will call Aphra Mon re supervision and whether we will all get it reduced to 3 months. Will be better for jobs if only need 3 months- thanks for your post.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:54 am
Just Joined

Hi Saturdaygirl, yes definitely worth ringing them, I heard a rumour that they were reducing it to three months for everybody (maybe they realised how ridiculous it was). I've been qualified 2 and a 1/2 years and have no COC experience. A colleague applied before me and was given twelve months supervised practice and appealed but I haven't heard the outcome of her appeal yet.
A midwife I know out in Brisbane suggested Perth would be a good place to go as they are more used to supervised practice and are better at accommodating it than other places - I applied to the office in Sydney as that's where I want to start but would go anywhere if I can transfer my registration (not sure how to do this?i asked AHPRA but haven't heard back).
Also, does anyone know when AHPRA advise you of your registration conditions and you have to either accept or appeal whether an email is enough or if they want a paper copy posting? I emailed last week but haven't heard back yet. Don't want them to cancel the whole thing because it's not a letter..,
Old Dec 21st 2014, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

With a WHV I doubt you will get any hospital to take you on as a Midwife as half of your allowable 6 months continuous employment with one employer will be subject to supervision. Best look at your RN registration, and then hope that they see your Midwifery, albeit supervised, as a bonus.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Saturdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Yes I agree but it gives them a chance to try you out and us to test the waters re applying for a sponsorship or permanent visa. I have two years experience as a midwife and I am staying with family to see if Australia is an option for me.

With your Aphra reg you can work anywhere. It does not matter where it is from it is like Uk reg apply for jobs all over Australia.
Old Dec 21st 2014, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

FingFang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by genorm
With a WHV I doubt you will get any hospital to take you on as a Midwife as half of your allowable 6 months continuous employment with one employer will be subject to supervision.
This was always my worry. Having to do 12 months supervision on a WHV was obviously never going to happen.

I spent around £1500 on trying to come work in Aus (flights / visa / medical / AHPRA fees / solicitors fees in attesting certificates) - all for nothing. I never could have afford to then spend another £1000+ in applying for sponsorship visas, new flights and medicals on top. Its a shame because had I been able to work as a midwife on a WHV with an agency and decided I liked Aus, I would have then been more than happy to settle and apply for sponsorship / permanent residency etc. Not meant to be (for me anyway).

Good luck to everyone else applying. I am glad they have reduced the supervision terms for you.
Old Feb 14th 2015, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Claireylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snaylorthesnail
I've got a working holiday visa, only want to be away for a year, and yes still in the uk.
This is what I was initially planning! I have been planning to do this ever since I started my training! I'm now over 3 years qualified. However, after looking in to how complicated and pricey it is getting registration plus we have to fund our own supervision it doesn't look worth it for going for just a year. I'm thinking either go for a year and not do midwifery which is a massive shame, or getting a sponsored visa and going for 2 years or so but sponsored visa makes it harder to travel around/less flexibility on jobs! Have you got any further with your plans?
Old Feb 15th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHPRA have reduced MOST 12 month supervision periods to 3 months for UK qualified Midwives. The problem is getting a hospital to employ you with that supervision condition.
Old Mar 25th 2015, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

saadinecan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am all ready to go to Australia and then found out my agency couldn't find me a midwifery placement (3 months supervised) as they are not allowed to. Has anyone had any luck finding anywhere that will do this in Sydney? Or even Melbourne?
I can't find any info on people actually managing to get supervised placements anywhere! Any help appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.