BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Old Oct 23rd 2014, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

AbesUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Hi any news on this issue? It affects my wife who is a dual RGN/Midwife...
Old Oct 23rd 2014, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

If there are any UK Midwives who are in Oz and have been issued registration conditional on Supervised Practice, please email me as I am going to put some forward to hospitals and see what happens.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:13 am
Just Joined

FingFang is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not in Oz but would be interested to know how this turns out, if hospitals are willing to employ / sponsor midwives with supervision. It might be something I'd consider in the future.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is a bit of a lonf shot to see if corporate HR Directors err on the side of what their DONs are saying - or if they run scared of AHPRA's ridiculous decision making.

However, I think it highly unlikely that they will sponsor candidates requiring supervison.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by genorm
However, I think it highly unlikely that they will sponsor candidates requiring supervison.
Well, then they will have been successful in preventing UK / EU trained midwives from ever working in Oz then. Such a shame.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FingFang
Well, then they will have been successful in preventing UK / EU trained midwives from ever working in Oz then. Such a shame.
Has your wife been refused registration by AHPRA?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

No my wife is currently completing a MSc in Health Visiting, but she is a dual trained nurse (Diploma) and midwife (BSc)... I'm a BSc Mental health nurse and currently waiting for Ahpra reg and Anmac outcome for PR...
Old Oct 24th 2014, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, OK, those BSc's sound encouraaging, but as others have found out, consistency is something that AHPRA don't do!

Keeps your chins up - Good Luck.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need a sponsor to work here. You can come out on an independent visa.
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:25 am
Just Joined

But you need a supervisor to work as a midwife.

Not many employers would agree to supervise a member of staff for 12 months when they can easily employ other midwives that don't need this. And not many visas allow 12 months work without a sponsor / confirmed employment do they?

I have a WHV and can only work for 6 months per employer. For me it's not a viable option right now (in terms of cost anyway - these visas aren't cheap).
Old Oct 26th 2014, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

With a WHV you can only work for 6 months for one employer, so that will not support the 12 months Supervision condition.

However, we have, in the past, placed Nurses/Midwives on a WHV, and the employer has sponsored them withing the first 6 months. Admittedly, you need to be good for it to work like that.

One other point I would like to make is that relocating to a new country is a big step - and costs a lot. People who feel that a necessity (such as a Visa) is "too expensive" are perhaps, not fully committed to relocating in the first place.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

I have applied - but the rule changes mean that APHRA want evidence of '20 continuity of care cases' - these must have been done in your original midwifery training.

Providing continuity of care cases isn't a requirement of registration in the UK / EU. So most universities will not have done it. Mine didn't.

If you can't prove CoC cases, but meet all other international registration conditions they all allow you to register but you need to complete 12 months supervision. This has to be done at an Australian educational / teaching hospital, which you arrange and pay any costs yourself. After 12 months supervision you can register normally.

Here's the catch - the part I think is unfair. APHRA say that as part of your 12 months supervision it's not a requirement to complete the 20 CoC cases anyway, and that if you don't they will allow you to register - but could only work in certain areas, for example delivery suite and wards - you couldn't work in a midwifery group practice role. I think it's very unfair because experience isn't taken into account... most midwives working in hospitals will rotate and work in all areas and therefore have no problem whatsoever in providing continuity of care to one woman in all aspects of midwifery.

I don't understand why they don't make the 20 CoC cases a mandatory requirement in their supervision, because for most UK midwives this would be the only outstanding competency to meet. If its not a 'requirement' then why make people do it at all? Just allow registration with conditions of areas that can / can not be worked it.

So for most UK trained midwives it mean's you'd get registration - but you'd have to do supervision. You couldn't do supervision with an agency, and you'd need a more permanent visa then a working holiday one. What employer will want to hire a midwife that needs 12 months supervision? I think this would be difficult to find.

This is the latest FAQ from Aphra
Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - FAQ for internationally qualified midwives

I find this whole thing about continuity of cases (COCs) and 12 months supervision a real joke, as a midwife who currently works in Australia. I originally trained as a midwife in the UK, but did my midwifery re-registration here in 2003 after it lapsed in the UK. Australia only implemented this COCs, along with a 18 month midwifery training programme, about 2 years ago. Prior to that it was a 12 month training programme after RN training. In the UK it has always been 18 months after general training, as far as I know. I am not sure when they implemented direct entry midwifery training, but again it was only latterly in WA. Those midwives already registered and working in the Australian system, who never undertook this COCs, whether they be UK or Australian trained, are not being asked to complete additional supervision, so why do the UK midwives have to do it?
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Why do the NMC require Australian nurses to sit English exams? Because they can, I guess.
Old Dec 10th 2014, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Yea seems unfair I guess...
Old Dec 10th 2014, 8:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AbesUK
Yea seems unfair I guess...
Nurses from the UK are only a percentage of those who apply to migrate.

If Nurses from other counties are expected to meet certain requirements then it is only reasonble that those requirements apply to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.