BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSc Midwife - RM to Australia

Originally Posted by saadinecan
Hi, I am all ready to go to Australia and then found out my agency couldn't find me a midwifery placement (3 months supervised) as they are not allowed to. Has anyone had any luck finding anywhere that will do this in Sydney? Or even Melbourne?
I can't find any info on people actually managing to get supervised placements anywhere! Any help appreciated
What visa are you coming on? Have you tried contacting hospitals yourself?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:42 am
Just Joined

saadinecan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What visa are you coming on? Have you tried contacting hospitals yourself?
I'm on a working holiday visa. I have contacted about 5 in and around Sydney and so far only one has said to send a cv to them. I was hoping to not have to go to one so far out but it seems it may be my only option. I'm unsure if maybe I'm using the wrong terminology? Should I be saying its a placement?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely to do it for 3 months - you can only work for one employer for 6 months on WHV, I think?

I am struggling to get Midwives placed for permanent roles with supervision. It might happen out in the bush, but not in major cities - they have their own grads to consider.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:07 am
Just Joined

saadinecan is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I mean I would work somewhere for the 6 months if it meant I could get my supervision done. AHPRA has made it sound like it's an easy restriction to put on your registration but so far no one seems to do it. Not really sure what to do next?
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

The condition is pointless. It is to do with Continuity of Care during training. It doesn't account for Midwives who have CoC for hundreds of Mothers and babies over years of experience.

If Australia isn't careful, there will be a shortage of experienced Midwives, approaching crisis level.

They will only have the pedants at AHPRA to blame.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 10:43 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saadinecan
Yeah I mean I would work somewhere for the 6 months if it meant I could get my supervision done. AHPRA has made it sound like it's an easy restriction to put on your registration but so far no one seems to do it. Not really sure what to do next?
I think part of the problem is that you're asking a hospital to commit to the supervision for 3 months, and you can only give them a further 3 months of work - when they can get Australians to work for them on a permanent basis.

Ir Genorm is having problems even getting permanent positions for midwives you may have to settle for working in other areas while on the WHV - or go further out to somewhere a lot more rural, you might stand a better chance then
Old Mar 26th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

The only hospital that may consider a Midwife with supervision condition and on a WHV would be Mount Isa.

Not a very nice location for a "holiday"
Old Mar 26th 2015, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have spent considerable time communicating with AHPRA on this and other issues. The following is an extract of a letter from AHPRA regarding supervision of overseas midwives:

Intention of supervision conditions:

Where an international midwifery qualification is not substantially equivalent to an Australian National Board-approved qualification for midwives, the intent of the conditions for supervised practice is to provide the National Board with assurance that these midwives are competent to practice.

Availability of supervisors:

Supervised practice must take place in a health service that provides clinical experience placements for students completing a National Board-approved program of study leading to registration as a midwife. Most public and private hospitals meet these requirements, however registrants are unable to work for private agencies. It is the midwife’s responsibility to arrange for appropriate supervision when negotiating employment.

Supervision requirements:

Supervision can be direct or indirect. The level of supervision required will be determined initially by the National Board and by the registrant’s supervisor(s) during their supervised practice. The level of supervision will depend on the registrant’s past experience and performance in the workplace.

Employment matters:

Neither AHPRA nor the National Board are involved in employment or industrial matters and we are therefore unable to provide information relating to refusal to employ candidates for employment who have conditional registration. We are engaging regularly with employers and their representatives to provide information on supervision requirements. It is important to note that the notation is not an indication of any concern about a registrant’s performance or ability as a midwife. The notation is used to provide relevant information to employers and the public on an individual’s registration status.

I hope this helps.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Saturdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just to let everyone know that I managed to get employment with Western Australia Health as a midwife (with 3 months supervision) on a WHV. I was offered a permanent position which I was going to commence on the WHV and then they said they would sponsor. However, the process took a long time, 4 months and I have since decided that I didn't want to stay in Australia.
It can be done but may take a while- fortunately I was staying with relatives and my costs where minimal.
Old Mar 26th 2015, 8:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saturdaygirl
Hi just to let everyone know that I managed to get employment with Western Australia Health as a midwife (with 3 months supervision) on a WHV. I was offered a permanent position which I was going to commence on the WHV and then they said they would sponsor. However, the process took a long time, 4 months and I have since decided that I didn't want to stay in Australia.
It can be done but may take a while- fortunately I was staying with relatives and my costs where minimal.
Thanks for the info Saturdaygirl.

Were you in Perth or elsewhere in WA?
Old Mar 27th 2015, 10:02 am
Just Joined

I was in Perth. Offered a post at Fiona Stanley hospital but was given a choice of where I wanted to work within certain areas.
Old Mar 27th 2015, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Tashylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you work as a nurse on a working holiday visa? Didn't know that was an option!!! Interesting
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Yes probably easier for a nurse. No supervision to do so you can also work on an ad hoc basis with an agency.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

We are happy to speak with Registered Nurses who have full AHPRA and are on WHV - especially if they are hopeful of being sponsored to stay in Oz.
Old Mar 28th 2015, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Just one more thing. I didn't tell the hospitals that I applied for that I had conditions on my registration. They offered me the post and then asked if I had any conditions. I sent the details to them and they didn't seem too concerned.

I do think the fact that I was already living in Perth was a big advantage.
Been Back in the UK for 3 weeks and already have a job offer and 2 more interviews this week! Everything in Oz takes so much time and the pace of life was too slow for me. Great for families but not for young singles although I am glad that I have had the opportunity. Have had 12 months away from working so looking forward to getting back to work x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.