Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

AHPRA introducing international criminal history check procedure

AHPRA introducing international criminal history check procedure

Old Mar 17th 2015, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AHPRA introducing international criminal history check procedure

No Polly, Fit2Work use Disclosure Scotland which is a part of the SCOTTISH government, not Westminster. They don't use DBS. It's a mess. Why on earth are the UK allowing a foreign government department to undertake checks on it's citizens? And Labour want to do a deal with the SNP? God help us!
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Iscashe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, just wanted to give an update. As there was so much concern, I emailed fit2work about my ICHC, to ask whether it had been completed, sent to AHPRA, and requesting a copy. They replied promptly, said it had been done and sent, and sent a copy, all as requested, and it was a one page certificate stating that there are "no disclosable court outcomes" on my record.

I understand all of the concern over these checks, their legality, the costs etc considering AHPRA's history, but I have to say I think this thread is possibly verging on the paranoid and thinking the worst...it looks like the only things they would find in this check is really serious stuff (court outcomes ie sentencing for crime).

I also worry there are several issues being converged. Concern about the cost - well, we are dealing with private companies. Private companies exist to make a profit, of course, and they have a captive audience. To my mind, being charged £42 in the UK to do a check, which takes someone 5 minutes as it's all computerised, is taking the piss! But if we accept that cost (?hourly rates?salaries?overheads?) then fit2work have to pay that same money, then cover their own salaries from Australia etc and make a profit, so doubling it makes sense in a weird way!!

The privacy issues...well, nurses have always undergone these checks, they get tougher all the time, and maybe that's not a bad thing (thinking Jimmy Savile here 😳)

I don't want to be dismissive of concerns at all, and it may be that I've been 'lucky', but I really feel it's important not to start unnecessary wars. The way I see it, I am asking to be allowed to cross the world and be an intimate part of people's lives, when they are at their most vulnerable. I think the toughest checks should be in place for anyone doing that in any country, including here in the UK. I'm not convinced fit2work are necessarily thorough enough, but whatever they've checked, it's correct.

What I want to leave here, as an early 'candidate' in this new check, is so far no problems. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else but I'm thinking let sleeping dogs lie; until someone has an issue, maybe we shouldn't make one. That said, I've had no word from AHPRA yet...!
Old Mar 17th 2015, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Icashe.

I'll leave it alone then - I have other things to get on with!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

As a point of interest, i received this from Disclosure Scotland. The basic search costs £25.

"Good morning Dave, Disclosure Scotland is currently the only agency within the UK that provides basic level disclosures. Basic disclosures, which are subject to the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act 1974, can be used by anyone for any purpose. Organisations from within the UK and elsewhere use Disclosure Scotland to obtain basic level disclosures for applicants, normally for employment purposes. Disclosure Scotland also provides higher level disclosures for those working in Scotland. Organisations that require higher level disclosures for those working within England and Wales require to use the services of the Disclosure and Barring Service, who provide Standard and Enhanced disclosures only. The only consideration of jurisdiction made when a company applies for a basic level disclosure is where the applicant currently resides. If they live in England, Wales or the Isle of Wight, the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, a recent amended to ROA 1974, is applied to their basic disclosure. If they live in Scotland, Northern Ireland or anywhere else in the world, the original ROA 1974 Act is applied. I cannot confirm whether the company you mentioned is a Registered Body or uses the services of an Umbrella Body, other than to say that either of these scenarios would only apply if the company requested higher level disclosures for people specifically working or intending to work within Scotland. If you have any other queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Customer Liaison
Disclosure Scotland
Old Mar 19th 2015, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iscashe
Hi all, just wanted to give an update. As there was so much concern, I emailed fit2work about my ICHC, to ask whether it had been completed, sent to AHPRA, and requesting a copy. They replied promptly, said it had been done and sent, and sent a copy, all as requested, and it was a one page certificate stating that there are "no disclosable court outcomes" on my record.

I understand all of the concern over these checks, their legality, the costs etc considering AHPRA's history, but I have to say I think this thread is possibly verging on the paranoid and thinking the worst...it looks like the only things they would find in this check is really serious stuff (court outcomes ie sentencing for crime).

I also worry there are several issues being converged. Concern about the cost - well, we are dealing with private companies. Private companies exist to make a profit, of course, and they have a captive audience. To my mind, being charged £42 in the UK to do a check, which takes someone 5 minutes as it's all computerised, is taking the piss! But if we accept that cost (?hourly rates?salaries?overheads?) then fit2work have to pay that same money, then cover their own salaries from Australia etc and make a profit, so doubling it makes sense in a weird way!!

The privacy issues...well, nurses have always undergone these checks, they get tougher all the time, and maybe that's not a bad thing (thinking Jimmy Savile here 😳)

I don't want to be dismissive of concerns at all, and it may be that I've been 'lucky', but I really feel it's important not to start unnecessary wars. The way I see it, I am asking to be allowed to cross the world and be an intimate part of people's lives, when they are at their most vulnerable. I think the toughest checks should be in place for anyone doing that in any country, including here in the UK. I'm not convinced fit2work are necessarily thorough enough, but whatever they've checked, it's correct.

What I want to leave here, as an early 'candidate' in this new check, is so far no problems. Obviously I can't speak for anyone else but I'm thinking let sleeping dogs lie; until someone has an issue, maybe we shouldn't make one. That said, I've had no word from AHPRA yet...!
I have to say that I wonder why AHPRA aren't satisfied with the normal police checks, either Subject Access or ACRO, which is good enough for Immigration. Also it places an extra financial burden having to do police check for registration, a different one for Immigration and a third for the hospital that employs you!

Then from my previous experience in carrying out police checks, I have dealt with people who have discovered their police checks were passed to unauthorised employers, left on desks in employers offices and thus seen by colleagues, and in one case a lady found that a police result which she was contesting - and which finally turned out to be someone who shared her name and birth date - was pinned up on the school staff notice board, for all staff to see, in a small English village you can imagine the resulting gossip. Examples like that are what lead to my own concerns - how will contested results be dealt with, and how good is the security and privacy around the results of the check.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 9:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by genorm
As a point of interest, i received this from Disclosure Scotland. The basic search costs £25.

"Good morning Dave, Disclosure Scotland is currently the only agency within the UK that provides basic level disclosures. Basic disclosures, which are subject to the Rehabilitation Of Offenders Act 1974, can be used by anyone for any purpose. Organisations from within the UK and elsewhere use Disclosure Scotland to obtain basic level disclosures for applicants, normally for employment purposes. Disclosure Scotland also provides higher level disclosures for those working in Scotland. Organisations that require higher level disclosures for those working within England and Wales require to use the services of the Disclosure and Barring Service, who provide Standard and Enhanced disclosures only. The only consideration of jurisdiction made when a company applies for a basic level disclosure is where the applicant currently resides. If they live in England, Wales or the Isle of Wight, the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Act 2012, a recent amended to ROA 1974, is applied to their basic disclosure. If they live in Scotland, Northern Ireland or anywhere else in the world, the original ROA 1974 Act is applied. I cannot confirm whether the company you mentioned is a Registered Body or uses the services of an Umbrella Body, other than to say that either of these scenarios would only apply if the company requested higher level disclosures for people specifically working or intending to work within Scotland. If you have any other queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards
Customer Liaison
Disclosure Scotland
So checks done by Fit2Work for people who would be working in Aus are subject to the Rehab of Offenders Act? At least we have established that much!
A lot less thorough than a check for Immigration, and more in line with the Subject Access check that hospitals/employers here would be requesting from Uk migrants.

I am still at a loss to see why they don't just ask the applicant to provide the check though through Subject Access. And why all the secrecy!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

The interesting bit is that the basic disclosure costs £25, yet Fit2Work re charging three times that amount PLUS GST! I wasn't aware tht Disclosure Scotland charged Australian GST on their service. I must bring it up with my regional HMRC Director next time I have dinner with him!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by genorm
The interesting bit is that the basic disclosure costs £25, yet Fit2Work re charging three times that amount PLUS GST! I wasn't aware tht Disclosure Scotland charged Australian GST on their service. I must bring it up with my regional HMRC Director next time I have dinner with him!
Interesting!! How on earth can they do that?!
Having said that, nothing about this lot amazes me now...
Old Apr 9th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

I've just received a fairly long winded email from AHPRA in answer to some of the points I raised concering Fit2Work. Mostly, I believe it is rubbish - such as "As a service carried out in Australia by an Australian company, Fit2Work are right in charging GST!"

Also, apparently, Fit2Work's Privacy Policy complies with Australian, EU and UK law! Right - so why doesn't it state that within their policy?

To be honest, I really can't be bothered with AHPRA any more. Their stand over UK Midwives is nothing short of discriminatory!

I guess if people want to go to Oz so very badly, they are prepared to pay the price!