Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 9:45 am   #1
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
essjaynurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Hello All,

I have been looking in great detail about moving to Canada and working as a nurse. I was trained in the UK as an adult nurse a few years ago and have seen that Nurses in Canada are generally trained. In order to practice in Canada I would need theoretical and practical experience in Obstetrics, child health and mental health.

My question is does anyone know of any course that would get me this experience either here or in Canada? And if it is in Canada would I go there on a student visa? And can my family come with me? (Husband and two children)

Thank you everyone!

Essjay
essjaynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 10:20 am   #2
BE Forum Addict
 
Silverdragon102's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Amherst Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,796
Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

There isn't anywhere in the UK that you make make up the clinical and theory hours. Depending on the province College of RN's will depend on route you need to take but that usually isn't determined until after they assess your paperwork. Starting point would be NNAS
__________________
Now a Canadian citizen 17th Feb 2016.
Silverdragon102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd 2016, 10:35 am   #3
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 2
essjaynurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 View Post
There isn't anywhere in the UK that you make make up the clinical and theory hours. Depending on the province College of RN's will depend on route you need to take but that usually isn't determined until after they assess your paperwork. Starting point would be NNAS
That's great,thank you Silverdragon. I've seen many of your posts and found them very helpful so far!

I'm looking to work in Ontario and have been looking at IEN bridging courses but am not sure if they would be appropriate for my situation.
But I shall start with the NNAS, thanks again

Essjay
essjaynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th 2016, 7:01 am   #4
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2016
Posts: 9
Rwilkins1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

My NNAS account has just changed to ready to review.. How long does it take to issue the report? I'm assuming that is what's happening now.

Thanks
Rwilkins1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th 2016, 9:49 pm   #5
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 57
peeshpie has a spectacular aura aboutpeeshpie has a spectacular aura aboutpeeshpie has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjaynurse View Post
Hello All,

I have been looking in great detail about moving to Canada and working as a nurse. I was trained in the UK as an adult nurse a few years ago and have seen that Nurses in Canada are generally trained. In order to practice in Canada I would need theoretical and practical experience in Obstetrics, child health and mental health.

My question is does anyone know of any course that would get me this experience either here or in Canada? And if it is in Canada would I go there on a student visa? And can my family come with me? (Husband and two children)

Thank you everyone!

Essjay
You can do a bridging program in Calgary, Alberta if you want to practice here. You have to go through NNAS, if they deem you need further assessment of your knowledge and skills they may offer you a SEC assessment or the bridging program. I opted for the full bridging program as I didn't want to fly to Vancouver to sit the SEC Assessment with the likelihood being that I would have to do some studying. I wanted to be in Canada so a 10 month bridging program was do-able. We are here on my student visa, husband has a spousal open work permit. We brought our two kids, aged 10 and 14 yrs and they are settled.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Laois
peeshpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th 2017, 11:53 am   #6
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Northwest UK
Posts: 760
Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeshpie View Post
You can do a bridging program in Calgary, Alberta if you want to practice here. You have to go through NNAS, if they deem you need further assessment of your knowledge and skills they may offer you a SEC assessment or the bridging program. I opted for the full bridging program as I didn't want to fly to Vancouver to sit the SEC Assessment with the likelihood being that I would have to do some studying. I wanted to be in Canada so a 10 month bridging program was do-able. We are here on my student visa, husband has a spousal open work permit. We brought our two kids, aged 10 and 14 yrs and they are settled.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Laois

Peeshpie, my girlfriend is a mental health nurse and we're aiming for Alberta, she has just started the NNAS process and so we're not sure what they will require of her yet. is the bridging course full time? How are you supporting yourselves while you complete the course?
I'm an engineer and with the economy I'm not sure how easy it will be for me to find work whereas they seem to really need nurses.
__________________
EE FSW Applied: 15/12/16 \\ ITA: 04/01/17 \\ AOR 03/04/17
Shakyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th 2017, 12:18 pm   #7
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 15
Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

I am an adult trained nurse, three years qualified, who is also seeking to move to Ontario. I am finished with the NNAS experience (thank god!). As expected, my training was found to be non comparable and the CNO put me through the IENCAP (Internationally Educated Nurse Competency Assessment Programme). I studied for this independently in addition to taking a 2-day course in the UK to gain skills such as auscultation and paid for a 1-day private preparation course in Ontario to get me through this. I found out two weeks ago I satisfied them enough to be forwarded for the NCLEX. Bridging course was not required!
Sarahjane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:53 pm   #8
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
UKhelbai73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahjane88 View Post
I am an adult trained nurse, three years qualified, who is also seeking to move to Ontario. I am finished with the NNAS experience (thank god!). As expected, my training was found to be non comparable and the CNO put me through the IENCAP (Internationally Educated Nurse Competency Assessment Programme). I studied for this independently in addition to taking a 2-day course in the UK to gain skills such as auscultation and paid for a 1-day private preparation course in Ontario to get me through this. I found out two weeks ago I satisfied them enough to be forwarded for the NCLEX. Bridging course was not required!
Hi Sarah Jane

Have you received any feedback/info to suggest when you pass the NCLEX you will be able to practice? Just that some posts suggest even when the NCLEX has been passed yo still need to make up some practical hours?

Also, could you advise where/who you contacted re the 1 day private prep course in Ontario?Any advice appreciated! Helen
UKhelbai73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st 2017, 7:57 pm   #9
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
UKhelbai73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeshpie View Post
You can do a bridging program in Calgary, Alberta if you want to practice here. You have to go through NNAS, if they deem you need further assessment of your knowledge and skills they may offer you a SEC assessment or the bridging program. I opted for the full bridging program as I didn't want to fly to Vancouver to sit the SEC Assessment with the likelihood being that I would have to do some studying. I wanted to be in Canada so a 10 month bridging program was do-able. We are here on my student visa, husband has a spousal open work permit. We brought our two kids, aged 10 and 14 yrs and they are settled.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Laois
Hi Peeshpie

I have been considering the same move as yourself and signing up for a bridging program. I have a hubby and 2 kids of similar age but am worried re financially supporting them as my hubby's profession is teaching and not really required as far as I can gather! Do you have family support in Canada or did you just take the plunge? Has your hubby found work? Sounds like all is working out well for you which is great!I'd be very grateful for any advise - thanks very much, Helen
UKhelbai73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd 2017, 9:32 am   #10
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 15
Sarahjane88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Adult trained Nurse wanting to immigrate to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKhelbai73 View Post
Hi Sarah Jane

Have you received any feedback/info to suggest when you pass the NCLEX you will be able to practice? Just that some posts suggest even when the NCLEX has been passed yo still need to make up some practical hours?

Also, could you advise where/who you contacted re the 1 day private prep course in Ontario?Any advice appreciated! Helen
Hi Helen,

Certainly the CNO have not mentioned anything about making up practical hours. They sent a letter following my IENCAP to confirm I am eligible to sit the NCLEX and outlined what requirements I have yet to meet. As it stands, I just need my NCLEX (which I sit on the 23rd Sept in London) and a visa before I am able to practice.

I used the CNCAP for private tuition, and although I couldn't make the date for the scheduled class, they accommodated me 1-on-1 with the tutor. Of course, I did pay a little extra! The link is below:
http://cncap.ca/exam-prep-course/osc...e-exam-review/
Sarahjane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   British Expats / Working Abroad / Working Abroad by Profession / Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 7:17 pm.


Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com