457 to 136pr, Changed my mind again!!

Old May 22nd 2007, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all
Default Re: 457 to 136pr, Changed my mind again!!

Originally Posted by AndyandAnge
Hi my wife has a telephone interview for mater hospital in Brisbane and the call is from manchester on 23rd may. They and i know they will want her in on a 457 (Tie her down ) but we need to go on a 136 as we have 4 children and the child benefit and free schools is a must plus other benefits so we will see how pushy they are and either turn them down or you never know they might meet our request! who knows

Will keep you all informed on the outcome tomorrow
The general consensus seems to be that even employers prefer employees on a permanent visa. They could spend thousands of dollars training an employee; surely they would want this employee to be content and have stability? This could be money down the drain if the employee/family member gets sick and has to leave the country, for just one possible example.

I would have thought that a permanent visa was a better way to "tie" somebody down then a temporary visa (which is what a 457 is at the end of the day).

best wishes

Ade S
Old May 22nd 2007, 8:23 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 to 136pr, Changed my mind again!!

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
The general consensus seems to be that even employers prefer employees on a permanent visa. They could spend thousands of dollars training an employee; surely they would want this employee to be content and have stability? This could be money down the drain if the employee/family member gets sick and has to leave the country, for just one possible example.

I would have thought that a permanent visa was a better way to "tie" somebody down then a temporary visa (which is what a 457 is at the end of the day).
I would say that this should be the case for good employers. It's not clear why some employers think they will get better performance from someone who is concerned about their visa status.

The point about people getting sick is a real one, it does happen in a few cases each year.