175 or 457 ??????

Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

thebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura aboutthebutts has a spectacular aura about
Default 175 or 457 ??????

Hi

I am waiting for my skills assessment to come back from the ANMC, expecting it in the next couple of weeks.

Plan was then to apply for 175, frontloading pcc and medicals to try and speed the process up, but we are desperate to go and am now wondering if we would be best going on a 457.

What are all your 'expert' opinions There is me, hubby and 2 children.

Have a few questions ....

1. Will a 457 be quicker than a 175 from the point of having skills assessment including getting sponsorship and registering with NBWA?
2. Once the 457 is granted how long do you have to get in the country?
3. How do you get sponsorship, is it state or hospital, we want to go to perth.
4. Do you have to work full time and how soon do you have to start work after arriving?
5. How soon can you apply for a 175 after the 457 is granted?
6. Do you have to get a job before you go and have a telephone interview?

Thanks
Sarah

Last edited by thebutts; Sep 17th 2007 at 11:07 am.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 11:55 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: 175 or 457 ??????

Originally Posted by thebutts
Hi

I am waiting for my skills assessment to come back from the ANMC, expecting it in the next couple of weeks.

Plan was then to apply for 175, frontloading pcc and medicals to try and speed the process up, but we are desperate to go and am now wondering if we would be best going on a 457.

1. Will a 457 be quicker than a 175 from the point of having skills assessment including getting sponsorship and registering with NBWA?
4. Do you have to work full time and how soon do you have to start work after arriving?

Thanks
Sarah
Don't know all the answers but can help a bit..
1. 457 will probably be quicker than 175 but not guaranteed, I've read on here about 457 taking ages at the moment (mine only took 8 weeks). You don't need the skill assessment for 457 at all, you will need the NBWA registration though, 457 won'tbe granted till you have that.
2. Once 457 is granted they are valid for up to 4 years but your sponsor will be keen for you to get there asap and start work.
3.To get sponsorship you have to get a job with an employer willing to sponsor you,easily done in nursing.
4. Not sure about the full-time question, I'm employed full-time but in the future keen to drop to 4 days but need to find out if it's allowed....
5. If you meet the criteria for 175 you can apply straight away.
6. Yes 457 visa holders all have to have a job with their sponsor and that may include a phone interview, I was interviewed in the UK, just depends really.

175 is a better option if you meet the criteria, 457 has restrictions you need to be aware of...have a read on immi.gov.au for details

Last edited by wannabauzzienurse; Sep 17th 2007 at 11:58 am.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

adiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to alladiestubbs is a name known to all

Because of the amount of time taken for the 175 I would go for a 457, but negotiate with employer that want sponsorship for permanent visa asap.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 12:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adiestubbs
Because of the amount of time taken for the 175 I would go for a 457, but negotiate with employer that want sponsorship for permanent visa asap.
Or go for an offshore employer nominated migration visa. (ie, skip the 457).
Old Sep 17th 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

PIPPADEE will become famous soon enoughPIPPADEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by thebutts
Hi

Thanks
Sarah
I went for 175 as i didnt want to commit to a job and the find i hated it. But i do agree 457 would be quicker
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:31 am
One of Big G's girls.

Loubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to beholdLoubags is a splendid one to behold

Yep - you have to work full time on a 457.