Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Your life in NZ vs UK

Your life in NZ vs UK

Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your life in NZ vs UK

Originally Posted by DC10
The main problem is simply that salaries, let alone other employment-related benefits, are so, well... POOR. There seems to be little national discussion as to why this is the case.

I am currently applying for jobs in NZ and am resigned to the fact that I'll be earning around 50-60,000 dollars rather than (currently) pounds. Having said that the currencies could be at parity by the time I get there, so that will be ok
That's not much, are you a lecturer?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Mid-level public sector finance management. Have been in quite a niche role for 8 years
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Mid-level public sector finance management. Have been in quite a niche role for 8 years
Yeah, not sure they do niche roles in NZ - sausage rolls maybe!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

They'll be my staple diet if I'm only on $50k
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

50k in NZ isn't bad - I was on that for a while with 2 kids and we had a great time. Don't convert it, $50k can buy you as much as 50k pounds depending on where you are.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

All bitching aside, have you looked at the 'new' Auckland City Council? I don't think anyone can appreciate what a complete and utter shambles they are in behind the scenes at present; still trying to find out who they've got and what they're supposed to be doing.

I know a few people contracting / 'consulting' there and basically sounds like they'll be very busy for a very long time sorting out the mess and I am told you can pretty much name your price if your into that that kind of thing.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Whilst I agree that insulation/double glazing/leaky homes etc are a huge problem, can I please please remind people that this is an earthquake zone. Your double skinned brick house would have collapsed and maybe hurt/killed someone. We have a wood frame house with a steel roof - not without its heating issues, but it has survived three very major earthquakes, and, one day, some other houses in NZ might need to do that too.

Jan, near Christchurch
With all due respect, I think you will find that people are far more likely to die of pneumonia, hypothermia and suffer asthmatic problems than to die in earthquakes!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
It is not so much the posts themselves which generate interest on these forums, more the responses, especially when New Zealand is mentioned. Do the pro-Kiwi type people work for the NZ government, patrolling the internet to flame those who dare to speak out against ‘Gods Own’ ? They are a peculiar breed, especially considering they are skating on paper thin ice. Having lived and worked for a couple of years in New Zealand I can empathise with most of the negatives, but the one which can not be argued with, is the sense of History, or lack of it. Central Europe and the UK has an extremely and enviously rich and varied history. Not only that, it is accessible. Breakfast in London, hop on the Eurostar, lunch in Paris then off to the Orsay. Or breakfast in London, hop on a plane, and spend the afternoon gazing at the Farnese Cup and other wonders in Naples museum. The list is literally endless. ‘Time Team’ will never make a series (or a program) in NZ! That was not the reason for leaving however, it was more to do with the problems of small country syndrome, which manifested itself as a distinct iteration of the mental processing. Free thought in the worklplace was not encouraged, and ‘we have always done it like this’ is something of a mantra there.

The lack of history also applies to Oz, but there is much more freedom of thought, and it is certainly somewhere I will be very happy for the foreseeable future.
Exactly. There is only a limited number of times you can take the one and a half hour drive up the coast to such dismal delights as Foxton, Shannon or Levin before you realise there is absolutely nothing there you want to see or do and you should have saved your petrol.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think $50k per annum is above the kiwi average wage.

But trust me, you dont want to be earning less than that, not unless you have cash reserves in any case.
Otherwise you would be in the same boat as the locals with little prospects of travel, and resigned to living in one of the less salubrious districts of town. And if you have seen any of those, you would certainly not want that.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodlea
50k in NZ isn't bad - I was on that for a while with 2 kids and we had a great time. Don't convert it, $50k can buy you as much as 50k pounds depending on where you are.
Rather disingenuous, I'd say, to be suggesting that "$50K in NZ isn't bad", when the difference in take home pay on that salary for someone with 2 kids and someone without kids can be as much as a whopping $10,000+ per year, due to the very generous NZ Working For Families tax credit!

WFF tax credit on a $50K salary:

* 2 kids aged 12 or under = tax credit of $158 per week, $684 per month, $8,216 per year

* 2 kids aged 13-15 = tax credit of $167 per week, $723 per month, $8,684 per year

* 2 kids aged 16-18 = tax credit of $202 per week, $875 per month, $10,504 per year

http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/k...mate-2012.html

Last edited by Black Sheep; Jul 5th 2011 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Having said that the currencies could be at parity by the time I get there, so that will be ok
But your shopping bill would be twice (or more) than in the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 8:22 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by billingham
I know that is tongue in cheek, but the pro-nz lobbiers are a vile bunch at times ie when utopia is questioned. They must be working for the government and are worried at the amount of people leaving - strange that, people leaving utopia in their droves. The frustrating thing about New Zealand is that it has such an opportunity to be a lovely country.
I'd just like to point out here that people aren't leaving in droves. There was a net loss of 15,000 people to Oz last year (ie departures over arrivals), in a population of 4.5 million. That's always been the case re Oz-NZ. But it's also always been the case that more people arrive here than leave each year in terms of overall migration.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Woodlea
I can't agree with that statement I’m afraid Woodlea. I’m sure you could find a few examples, but most “things” are more expensive here, and by a good stretch.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tax (including "National Insurance", "Council Tax", "TV Licence" and one or two other British stealth tax specials), Housing and Transport are all considerably cheaper in NZ. Food is about the same. Energy possibly more expensive in NZ, all things considered. In general NZ is cheaper, imvho.

All this despite the debasing (devaluation doesn't do it justice) of Sterling, which is highly relevant to the debate.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of lightKevin is a glorious beacon of light

Tax (including "National Insurance", "Council Tax", "TV Licence" and one or two other British stealth tax specials), Housing and Transport are all considerably cheaper in NZ. Food is about the same. Energy possibly more expensive in NZ, all things considered. In general NZ is cheaper, imvho.

All this despite the debasing (devaluation doesn't do it justice) of Sterling, which is highly relevant to the debate.
Food is more expensive here, clothing is more expensive here (and much less choice), trade tools, trade and building materials, most domestic goods……. All more expensive here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.