Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
bollocks with sprinkles.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
With a number of posts (myself included) of people thinking of moving back I thought it would be really interesting to see what people who have either moved back to the UK full time or gone back and forth between New Zealand and the UK recently have found to be positive and negative about going back.

Would be great to get some of this from people who have recently made the move back to the UK

Here's a few things for me when I moved back to the uk some 12 years ago (I have been back in nz for 10 years since):

Worst: higher competition for jobs, people everywhere, dirty cities, civil unrest in your face, Bad coffee, bad weather, expensive car insurance, dark by 4 PM in the winter.

Best: better houses, beer, pubs, banter, open countryside for all to roam, europe close by, history, British music, House parties where men and women mixed, cold Christmases, double glazing, football, British tv, family close by.
As others have said, I think it's very hard to compare and most people probably haven't moved back. I don't agree with some of your worst, as many people seem to pay far less for car insurance in the UK. Bad weather again depends on the area and how people feel about it. Dark by 4 pm will again depend on the area and some parts actually are still not dark by 4pm and in three weeks the days get longer again anyway.

It also doesn't make a difference if you're in New Zealand and working normal office hours, as it also gets dark at 5pm in most parts of New Zealand during winter. Some of the better things you mention about the UK can also be found in New Zealand. Even in New Zealand you can buy double glazing windows and it's not hard to watch British TV.

Last edited by Moses2013; Nov 28th 2017 at 8:43 am.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 9:28 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Dark at 4pm in November yes, how about light at 10pm in June, does that not even things out?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add, the very very best thing about living in the UK.

You almost never hear about boring bloody Rugby.

......Plus the lack of pretentious cafes where theres some white bohemian called Angel or summat with a daft beard and dreads or man bun taking all day to make a cup of summat I can't pronounce with highly priced bullsh1t food served on second hand plates and used jars covered in sprigs and twigs with a tiny slice or artisan bread and fair trade salt with customers sat on uncycled furniture out of a skip surrounded with chalk boards advertising more bullsh1t food to the gullible patrons who are sat there blank faced tapping away on their Mac Book Pros pretending to be interior designers whilst waffling into their iPhone23 about their gap year in the african jungle and how they were on a journey of self discovery.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As others have said, I think it's very hard to compare and most people probably haven't moved back. I don't agree with some of your worst, as many people seem to pay far less for car insurance in the UK. Bad weather again depends on the area and how people feel about it. Dark by 4 pm will again depend on the area and some parts actually are still not dark by 4pm and in three weeks the days get longer again anyway.

It also doesn't make a difference if you're in New Zealand and working normal office hours, as it also gets dark at 5pm in most parts of New Zealand during winter. Some of the better things you mention about the UK can also be found in New Zealand. Even in New Zealand you can buy double glazing windows and it's not hard to watch British TV.
Crickey how inspiring (!). It's just a comparison for people to view their opinions based on there experiences that is all. Yes you CAN buy double glazing in nz but how common is it here - maybe 5% of houses have it at best and if you do ant it expect to pay 3x the price of uk which is why it's so uncommon. I could also say less sun is one of the worst things about the uk but then you could say parts of nz don't get much sun (Dunedin)- but it's a generalisation or personal experience.

So rather than argue people's points why don't you just list your own best and worst things???

I guess this has reminded me being British we love to moan about things - and even then people will moan about people moaning. Ahhhhh group hug...

Last edited by BtotheR; Nov 28th 2017 at 8:06 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I forgot to add, the very very best thing about living in the UK.

You almost never hear about boring bloody Rugby.

......Plus the lack of pretentious cafes where theres some white bohemian called Angel or summat with a daft beard and dreads or man bun taking all day to make a cup of summat I can't pronounce with highly priced bullsh1t food served on second hand plates and used jars covered in sprigs and twigs with a tiny slice or artisan bread and fair trade salt with customers sat on uncycled furniture out of a skip surrounded with chalk boards advertising more bullsh1t food to the gullible patrons who are sat there blank faced tapping away on their Mac Book Pros pretending to be interior designers whilst waffling into their iPhone23 about their gap year in the african jungle and how they were on a journey of self discovery.
I'm definitely with you on the rugby :

I kind of like the cafe scene here (as I type on my MacBook Pro sipping on my flat white) - gotta go my iphone23 is ringing...

Last edited by BtotheR; Nov 28th 2017 at 8:04 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 7:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by barnsleymat

You've been to Motueka then.

You forgot the minging bare feet bit.
Old Nov 28th 2017, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

RRanks is an unknown quantity at this point

NZ is way to expensive, I miss cheap vege in the uk - Expensive to be Vegetarian in NZ
Old Nov 29th 2017, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

So just on a work pov (nurse)

Uk
4% real time pay cut
Ambulance chasers
Extreme pressure on the system
Unions in the government pocket
Actually having to do courses snd training on things like acid attacks and how to spot radicalisation/fundamentalism
Jeramy Hunt
The looming spectre of a completly privatised system.

Pros

Tax free allowance
Better uniform (i miss my scrubs)
CSNP roll been around longer and more widely used

NZ

Taxed on every $
Loss of seniority as “no kiwi experience”
Obsession with doing post grad certificates....some of us barely made it though academia the first time
Some outmoded practices and ,frim what ive seen, no want to question them “weve always done it like this” culture

Pros

Better pay
Unions that activley engage with members and negotiate terms
Better shift times, work/life balance
Better staffing levels
An overload means your waiting room is full not 20 patients deep in the corridor
Old Nov 29th 2017, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Crickey how inspiring (!). It's just a comparison for people to view their opinions based on there experiences that is all. Yes you CAN buy double glazing in nz but how common is it here - maybe 5% of houses have it at best and if you do ant it expect to pay 3x the price of uk which is why it's so uncommon. I could also say less sun is one of the worst things about the uk but then you could say parts of nz don't get much sun (Dunedin)- but it's a generalisation or personal experience.

So rather than argue people's points why don't you just list your own best and worst things???

I guess this has reminded me being British we love to moan about things - and even then people will moan about people moaning. Ahhhhh group hug...
Really not sure what else you want, just accept the responses people have posted If its not enough why not, as some have suggested, post it on the returning to the UK forum where I'm sure you will get a response.
Looks like your flogging a dead horse

I'll pass on the group hug
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Really not sure what else you want, just accept the responses people have posted If its not enough why not, as some have suggested, post it on the returning to the UK forum where I'm sure you will get a response.
Looks like your flogging a dead horse

I'll pass on the group hug
You're still moaning mate. Just change the channel and look elsewhere. It's not your pub so you don't get to call time.

Whether I'm flogging a dead horse or not - I'm enjoying the ride.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm,
Many different opinions.
Positives UK
1 Sense of humour.
2 Choice and price for everything.
3 Access to countryside.
4 Work environment.
5 Wages v price of living.
Positives NZ
1 Weather.
2 Weather
3 Weather
That's about it.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You're still moaning mate. Just change the channel and look elsewhere. It's not your pub so you don't get to call time.

I 'spect you are but you only did half.

Worst: higher competition for jobs, people everywhere, dirty cities, civil unrest in your face, Bad coffee, bad weather, expensive car insurance, dark by 4 PM in the winter.

Best: better houses, beer, pubs, banter, open countryside for all to roam, europe close by, history, British music, House parties where men and women mixed, cold Christmases, double glazing, football, British tv, family close b
As you returned to NZ you need to complete for NZ to ...wait for it..... be complete.

On y'go then.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

So do we just keep going until we guess the answer you want to hear (like Rumplestiltskin) before you
get of your horse or we die of boredom
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
So do we just keep going until we guess the answer you want to hear (like Rumplestiltskin) before you
get of your horse or we die of boredom
Jog on Colin. And you can't say 'We' when its only you moaning (its getting boring), I don't think you speak for the forum. Whats wrong with you, I have seen you on here antagonising people regularly on different threads. Tough paper round as a kid? Don't answer, I'm not really interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.