Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

The first bit where they run out of the container port onto a street.. I think that's Birkenhead on Auckland's North Shore (yes, the big city where all houses are $1,000,000) so although it's not downtown Tokyo, it is a big city location.

Bev - your photo from Pegasus looks just like Long bay subdivision up the road from us. A suburb like that in Auckland there would be close to $2,000,000 to buy into now.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bearskin
The first bit where they run out of the container port onto a street.. I think that's Birkenhead on Auckland's North Shore (yes, the big city where all houses are $1,000,000) so although it's not downtown Tokyo, it is a big city location.
It's Onehunga Port, very small and no container ships, mainly fishing vessels. I think there are plans to revitalize the whole area similar to the Wynyard precinct with apartments and restaurants etc.

You can tell by the two bridges
Attached Thumbnails Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ-capture.png  
Old Dec 1st 2017, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

The houses in that police vid Shard are fairly typical of houses in NZ and Australia built in the 1960s or 70s.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
why would any Brit choose the more backward more remote NZ over Australia?
Simple, because its not Australia
Have lived there and visited, its a terrible place
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I don't think this site gives a good picture really, and neither does the police advert. The areas look a bit low-socioeconomic.

Houses in Australia and NZ are very similar, mostly wooden houses, both completely different from the UK. Have a look on Google Street view or some real estate sites to get a better idea
I do actually find many houses in NZ far better from the exterior look or let's say if you look on real estate websites they are presented better. They actually are trying to get a more contemporary look, which you don't really find much in the UK but seeing them in real life is probably always different too. Of course the quality of housing is the big problem in NZ but the UK has a lot of ugly housing to be honest.

Here in Ireland a lot of houses are just as ugly and the furniture taste from people is shocking. Also how gardens are presented can make a huge difference and I find in New Zealand they really seem to have a garden design taste I like (including flora). I've started planting a lot more palm trees now and especially different fruit trees like kiwifruit, figs etc. It made a huge difference and the feel is completely different.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 11:26 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013

Also how gardens are presented can make a huge difference and I find in New Zealand they really seem to have a garden design taste I like (including flora). I've started planting a lot more palm trees now and especially different fruit trees like kiwifruit, figs etc. It made a huge difference and the feel is completely different.
I like tropical / sub-tropic gardens! Are the palms you are planting in NZ or Ireland?

Considering all the talk of fauna, anyone going to post a picture of their lovely NZ garden?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I like tropical / sub-tropic gardens! Are the palms you are planting in NZ or Ireland?

Considering all the talk of fauna, anyone going to post a picture of their lovely NZ garden?
In Ireland but have a long way to go until I have it all together. The most common here would be the Cordyline australis which technically isn't really a palm tree but they grow pretty well and are easy to get. I'm currently looking at various types including ferns but it's probably easier to order from the UK. This is a really nice place in Ireland
https://www.adventurous-travels.com/...ast-of-ireland
and gives you a bit of that feel but not that common in the typical Irish garden. It's slowy changing though and people are getting a bit more adventurous with planting but the UK is still ahead in that part. See the third picture Killiney and gives you a bit of that NZ feel.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 1st 2017 at 12:32 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
With a number of posts (myself included) of people thinking of moving back I thought it would be really interesting to see what people who have either moved back to the UK full time or gone back and forth between New Zealand and the UK recently have found to be positive and negative about going back.
The good thing about being in the UK is that you can say whatever the heck you want about the UK without creating a big shitstorm and there will not be a crowd of folks who want to kill you with their pitchforks, send you links to surveys or Wikepeadia exerts to prove their point and start a pissing competition with neighouring countries, as to which one is the most backwards / progressive or prettiest.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OK. Let's see if a thread will fly on this.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:01 am
Just Joined

ChrisHT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Justcol
You're asking people who live in nz what's the best thing about moving back to the UK...?!!?

For me...nothing at all
Too dirty
Too noisy
Too much traffic
Too many angry drivers
To many angry people
Too much rampant consumerism
House's too small
Neighbours too close
No one talking to anyone else

I go back to visit family, if they weren't there
I could happily never give it another thought
Made me smile reading this....sounds like most of the populated areas of NZ now...houses too small the exception I guess...maybe if you lived here 20 years ago!
Old Dec 26th 2017, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I mistakenly started watching some programme on TV1 a week or so ago, was some English programme on how to manage your money better at Xmas time - some family of 4 spending something like 1400 pounds on food and drinks.

Was quite surprised at the prices they were paying, in many cases it was actually more expensive than NZ, considerably so in some cases. e.g. Moet Champagne at 35 pounds, has been as low as $45 here, Cheapest Turkeys around 25 pounds ($30 here)

So I'm sure many things are cheaper, but I wonder how it really pans out when you don't be selective about products
Old Dec 26th 2017, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Simple, because its not Australia
Have lived there and visited, its a terrible place
I agree with you Justcol, and I am Australian...

Well, maybe not terrible, but not great either..
Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I mistakenly started watching some programme on TV1 a week or so ago, was some English programme on how to manage your money better at Xmas time - some family of 4 spending something like 1400 pounds on food and drinks.

Was quite surprised at the prices they were paying, in many cases it was actually more expensive than NZ, considerably so in some cases. e.g. Moet Champagne at 35 pounds, has been as low as $45 here, Cheapest Turkeys around 25 pounds ($30 here)

So I'm sure many things are cheaper, but I wonder how it really pans out when you don't be selective about products
I've found very little food in the UK thats more expensive than NZ ...
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:14 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Well the UK is undergoing substantial market change with it's exit from the EU so any pricing being discussed may not be stable. For example it remains to be announced what assistance if any UK farmers will get from the government or if EU importers will face a tarrif system. Living costs in the UK will be "subject to change" for about a decade really.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisHT
Made me smile reading this....sounds like most of the populated areas of NZ now...houses too small the exception I guess...maybe if you lived here 20 years ago!
Which is why I dont in a populated area of NZ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.