Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Old Nov 29th 2017, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worst and Best things about moving back to Uk from NZ

Originally Posted by Shard
Never been to Kiwiland, but this (good and bad) seems most consistent with my perceptions.

My question is: unless you are being work transferred or infatuated with sheep, why would any Brit choose the more backward more remote NZ over Australia?
NZ is not more backward than Australia, in fact the opposite is true. Apart from the social issues like same sex marriage, NZ is more advanced in most areas: Broadband, schooling, government efficiency (postal services, immigration, passports), ease of doing business (Aus is a nanny state), race relations, entrepreneurship etc.

Then there is the cultural side, NZ is more 'British', Australia is more American influenced and also has a large Catholic/conservative influence.

Other areas where NZ beats Australia are outdoor lifestyle, supermarket food, scenery, access to things to do, wildlife (forget about snakes and spiders - the flies are the worst thing about Australia)

Where Australia has the advantage is the larger population and the advantages that come with that. More job opportunities, better salaries, busier cities, cheap flights to Asia etc. Also a bit more European influenced too with some good markets and Italian/Greek food that doesn't really exist in NZ.

If you are young and into bars and clubs, then Australia is the better choice, otherwise I don't think it's a clear decision.

If you are young and ambitious then you really should be in Asia/USA/Europe

But let's be clear, both Australia and NZ are remote and largely uncultured, apart from a few central urban areas. Both are 24 hours back to the UK.

If you want remote and backwards try Perth.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Where Australia has the advantage is the larger population and the advantages that come with that. More job opportunities, better salaries, busier cities, cheap flights to Asia etc. Also a bit more European influenced too with some good markets and Italian/Greek food that doesn't really exist in NZ.

If you are young and into bars and clubs, then Australia is the better choice, otherwise I don't think it's a clear decision.

If you are young and ambitious then you really should be in Asia/USA/Europe

But let's be clear, both Australia and NZ are remote and largely uncultured, apart from a few central urban areas. Both are 24 hours back to the UK.

If you want remote and backwards try Perth.

I think the people moving to New Zealand won't see the larger population and busier cities in Australia as an advantage. More people and more jobs also often means more competition, so it's not always that easy. Better salaries for highly skilled people but most people end up paying more for housing too and I doubt the office admin person in Sydney can afford a house with garden. The shop assistant in Dunedin probably still can, so it really depends on the individual, the exact location and what they want in life.

Even in Europe it's not always for the young and ambitious. There are plenty of poor countries with high unemployment too and it can be very backwards, depending on the country and what you feel is backwards. But Europe of course has a lot to offer.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Shard, I think its easy to get the impression that NZ is backward after reading this forum. Maybe you should come and check it out yourself or maybe also consider the Legatum prosperity index in your readings which currently ranks NZ at number 2 after Norway.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:11 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Shard, I think its easy to get the impression that NZ is backward after reading this forum. Maybe you should come and check it out yourself or maybe also consider the Legatum prosperity index in your readings which currently ranks NZ at number 2 after Norway.
I saw a recent YouTube advertising for the NZ police (can't remember which city) but all the buildings and houses looked very dated to me.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
NZ is certainly not backwards but what is this prosperity index? As far as I can see is that they are deciding what makes us happy and rich with a few pillars. For example Netherlands would be far too flat and overcrowded for me, so even the other pillars don't make up for that in my opinion.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:29 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a recent YouTube advertising for the NZ police (can't remember which city) but all the buildings and houses looked very dated to me.
So, "some dated houses" constitutes a whole country being backwards. Seems like a sound basis for your argument Shard
Old Nov 30th 2017, 6:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
So, "some dated houses" constitutes a whole country being backwards. Seems like a sound basis for your argument Shard
It's not the basis, just consistent with things I've read and many of the comments on here. Anyway, I have a European friend taking a 5 week visit there next month so will get a fuil report from her. She even liked Perth so NZ is likely to get a thumbs up too. I certainly like the scenery, very nice, almost as good as Scotland.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not the basis, just consistent with things I've read and many of the comments on here.
I don't think this site gives a good picture really, and neither does the police advert. The areas look a bit low-socioeconomic.

Houses in Australia and NZ are very similar, mostly wooden houses, both completely different from the UK. Have a look on Google Street view or some real estate sites to get a better idea
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I certainly like the scenery, very nice, almost as good as Scotland.
LOL - much nicer scenery in NZ than Scotland, you really need to visit
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Where's the advert. Lets have a look.

I'm not sure 'dated' is the right word for New Zealand. It's not Albania after all.
However yes, there is a certain way here that holds it back more than it should or is needed I feel.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I don't think this site gives a good picture really
Probably about right.

A number of people posting on here who dream of "a better life", then found that NZ is just another place to live. A change to "a better life" doesn't usually come from your location, but from something inside.

And therefore NZ is not what they were looking for.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:48 pm
`

Originally Posted by bearskin
Probably about right.

A number of people posting on here who dream of "a better life", then found that NZ is just another place to live. A change to "a better life" doesn't usually come from your location, but from something inside.

And therefore NZ is not what they were looking for.
It's an interesting one isn't it.

I suppose if one is looking to 'upgrade' in some way to a perceived 'better' life but without the wherewithal to do so, then immigration to <name the country> could well be a disappointment & also even a struggle. The same poop / different bucket thing.

Might have been possible a decade or more ago when NZ was a cheap place to live and the $ v GBP was favourable for those in the UK.

I cannot comment on the UK worst things as I haven't been back since 2009. It seemed very much the same place as 2003 when I left. There again we didn't leave because we were discontent with the country. We left because we could . The horizon beckoned.

Incidentally Gra popped up a week or so ago. He's fine and happy in his NZ life which is fab as he worked long and very hard to get here.
Old Nov 30th 2017, 7:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by BEVS
Where's the advert. Lets have a look.

I'm not sure 'dated' is the right word for New Zealand. It's not Albania after all.
However yes, there is a certain way here that holds it back more than it should or is needed I feel.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/vi...deo-goes-viral
Old Nov 30th 2017, 8:20 pm
`

That's quite amusing . Made me smile.

Looks like a lot of townships & properties here. TBH I've never thought of them as 'dated' although against a slick highrise city it may seem that way. I see them as quite American small town style, although I have no experience of that.

For instance , the township nearest to me looks like this.
Attachment 129063

The advert doesn't show all the assorted types of housing stock but it does show a variety of old and new which is very much New Zealand. New sub-divisions of course have a more contemporary look.
Attachment 129064
Old Nov 30th 2017, 8:36 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
That's quite amusing . Made me smile.
It even has a puss cat on a leash

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.