Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Merged Threads

World Cup - Merged Threads

Old Jun 14th 2010, 5:42 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meat Pie Sausage Roll Come On England Give Us A Goal

Originally Posted by bolton1
Calm down lads .. nothing like footie, especially at international level to bring out all the testerterone ! No wonder D.V rates go up when matches don't go the right way. Everyone is entitled to an opinion ,even us girlies who love football , so lets keep it nice & friendly and support our boys.
Are you feeling the love yet
exactly - lets get behind the team and if they louse it up and go out before they "should" then we can have a go, but not now and not here
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: World Cup

Brazil? Really...did you watch them play? Germany have looked very convincing to me despite what the bookies had to say going into this.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
How about this for the team against Algeria?

Hart - GK

Johnson - RB
Terry - CB
Dawson - CB - he's the fastest we've got
Cole, A - LB

Barry - DMFD - hope he isn't injured still
Lampard - AMFD
Cole, J - LM - played there with success in the last WC - and if it doesn't work...swap him with Gerrad
Lennon, RM - better than SWP

Gerrad - CF - just behind Rooney

Rooney - Str
A decent shout, we certainly need some pace of some sort in the central defence, honestly recalling Carragher for the World Cup was a ridiculous decision. He's never been international class. Horrendous error from Green though it was, and though I wouldn't have started with him myself, he ought to get a chance to redeem himself.
Th change I'd make to above would be to play two strikers, either Defoe or Crouch, probably for Lennon or Lampard (I've still to be convinced Gerrard & Lampard can shine in the same team). I'd agree starting with Joe Cole.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:24 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
pity for him - remember Paul Cooper - Ipswich Town's keeper, under 6 foot and the smallest in Div 1 at the time - he was from Brierley Hill, just down the road from where I was brought up in Dudley. He did pretty well for them in the 70s. Won FA cups and UEFA cup.

one of my team mates got the shove from the Bhoys at 17 as a keeper and never kicked a ball in anger for 10 years.
Remember Paul cooper, he had an amazing penalty save record ....
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:25 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in a village close to the Ryton training ground and had a couple of Stoke scouts living there. One of the neighbours kids had at age 8 approaches from Man U, Leicester and the Villa.
For me that's too young for the kids to be pressured into performing and parents to see all those pound signs.
I coach 8, 9, and 10 year olds and some of them will not amount to much at all but they love playing and want to develop. For me they are in almost a better position than the rep kids some of whom are being ordered around by coaches and parents.
Having said that our kids results this season may reflect a slightly laid back attitude from the coach. But for me getting the basics of controlling the ball, shielding it (holding onto it) and findind space/a pass is what I need to concentrate on and let the game teach them the rest, once they can be confident receiving and playing the ball
Didn't realise Stoke had scouts
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
A decent shout, we certainly need some pace of some sort in the central defence, honestly recalling Carragher for the World Cup was a ridiculous decision. He's never been international class. Horrendous error from Green though it was, and though I wouldn't have started with him myself, he ought to get a chance to redeem himself.
Th change I'd make to above would be to play two strikers, either Defoe or Crouch, probably for Lennon or Lampard (I've still to be convinced Gerrard & Lampard can shine in the same team). I'd agree starting with Joe Cole.
Mmmm doesn't look like Carragher's going to be dropped, as he was fronting an England press conference just now.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: World cup reporting in NZ?

Typical of NZ attitude to the world's biggest sporting event, this afternoon's sport news on the sports radio lead with US basketball!! The world cup was 3rd item on.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:54 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Didn't realise Stoke had scouts
yeah their *other* supporter lived over the road from me so it must have been some sort of nexus in the space time continu-um thingie....LOL
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:02 am
Stoke City fanatic

yeah their *other* supporter lived over the road from me so it must have been some sort of nexus in the space time continu-um thingie....LOL
Must be my brother ....
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:05 am
Stoke City fanatic

Shold be a good game 2nite. Holland always flatter to deceive but can play wonderful football and Denmark have nothing to lose
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: World cup reporting in NZ?

So true ,Chocolate Cake.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Shold be a good game 2nite. Holland always flatter to deceive but can play wonderful football and Denmark have nothing to lose
saw the first half of the holland game and some of Italy.
there must be something going on with the keepers.........maybe the pressure on the teams is so great that they are playing very cautiously and the keepers are thinking "too much" about their basics.....
or is it the ball and air/ground conditions?
I know our new Lotto balls for the men's team don't half move in the air and it makes heading more of an art.
Once the price comes down I'll get a WC 2010 match ball to add to my Euro 2008 and CL 2009 Adidas match balls (saddo that I am!). Which are completely different BTW, the outer of the first ball is rough/dimpled and the other one is smooth. Weird.
The dimpled one holds up in the wet and the smooth one flies off the wet grass.....
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:01 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Rumour has it that the German team had access to the new WC balls for most of last season. If that is true then

Colandros: Back in proper football I remember a Leeds vs Liverpool match where Billy Bremner and Tommy Smith didn't even make it out of the tunnel before one had a balck eye and the other a bloody nose ....ah happy days...

Now in those days I'd have had half a British team being non English....

Bremner, Lorrimer, Giles (OK he was ROI), Gary Sprake (he won't have let that Green goal in!), Eddie Grey, Terry Yorath
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:56 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
Rumour has it that the German team had access to the new WC balls for most of last season. If that is true then

Colandros: Back in proper football I remember a Leeds vs Liverpool match where Billy Bremner and Tommy Smith didn't even make it out of the tunnel before one had a balck eye and the other a bloody nose ....ah happy days...

Now in those days I'd have had half a British team being non English....

Bremner, Lorrimer, Giles (OK he was ROI), Gary Sprake (he won't have let that Green goal in!), Eddie Grey, Terry Yorath
yeah and did you see the ref get Johnson off for a split lip - compare that to Butcher and John Wile's head injuries for England and West Brom.....

also the classic FA Cup final of 1970 (?) Leeds-v-Chelsea......reminds me of our O35s Division
Old Jun 15th 2010, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold

yeah and did you see the ref get Johnson off for a split lip - compare that to Butcher and John Wile's head injuries for England and West Brom.....

also the classic FA Cup final of 1970 (?) Leeds-v-Chelsea......reminds me of our O35s Division

where do you play? i play for one of birkenhead uniteds O35 teams

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.