Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Merged Threads

World Cup - Merged Threads

Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:09 am

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Meat Pie Sausage Roll Come On England Give Us A Goal

[QUOTE=lardyl;8629250]We weren't that bad, we created far more than they did, bossed the game for almost all of the second half and were unlucky not to win.

Were you watching the same game!

It's typical of the English fans (and yep i'm English) always trying to work out what went wrong and who else is to blame.

So what if we had 100 chances more we didnt score nor look like scoring.Why do we have a 'slow start' it's the bloody world cup win games and we go through play like we are owed a win and we go out!

Or should we all hope for penalties (think not there either!)

yep he let a lame goal in but then saved the american winner second half!

So lets all paint our faces with the cross,drink shit loads,scream at the TV then blame hmmm well the weather,ball,grass..........anything but the overpaid underperforming players but heck dont worry just a slow start
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World cup reporting in NZ?

Disappointing start for England, but still a point. A dreadful howler by the keeper, but Heskey was equally to blame when presented with best chance of the second half. Sadly it was expected, more worrying is snail like in central defence.

Back on topic, the highlights could be shown at more convenient time, certainly at 5-6pm during the day it's not going to catch any floating viewers.

We're talking about the biggest international sporting event in the world here, the equal of the Olympics in scale, a different scale to the Rugby World Cup, and like a previous poster it gets a tad painful hearing about 2011 on every football post.

I think the highlights package could be better presented, the guy presenting it is knowledgeable enough and clearly loves his football, but having a nother guy in the studio to have some debate with might actually help.

Anyway lets hope the Kiwis can get off to good start tues morning.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:45 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly England….OMG wasn’t everything said before the game so true….Heskey is no world class striker in fact he couldn’t hit a barn door…set up goals but score I don’t think so. England keepers = a major weakness and it showed…. Central defence = too slow!!! All the ideas before the WC that England could mount a charge …hmmmm South Korea looked more impressive!

Anyway as to the Kiwi coverage…. This morning I watched the game live and I couldn’t hear the commernatry cause the other locals watching the game were talking LOUDLEY about the bloody rugby the night before…I mean it wasn’t even an important match grrr OK the commentator was awful (Rooney is a world clas stroker!!!) but please let me listen 'cause I don't care if Dan Carter scored 1000 points or was modelling underwear! And I bought Sky sports to see the games and highlights…and what’s on 80% of the time…more bloody rugby…

As for next year well anyone want to rent a nice house in Wellington ‘cause I’m moving to to a country where they don’t follow the inflated pigs bladder!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:23 am
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Whenever there is a rugby world cup and if it is played elsewhere than NZ or Australia the game times are bound to be at 6am or 1pm NZ time or other inconvenient times. I'm sure that people still take their time to watch those matches because rugby is a huge sport in NZ. I don't think there is similar enthusiasm about football matches at 9am. Well, the next football world cup in 2014 will be in Brazil and the times should be more convenient from the NZ point of view if NZ makes it to that tournament.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:48 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a sky/Opus dish then blind scan to find SBS 1,2,3 and 4 - plus their HD (can't vouch for the latter as we dont have a HD STB).
They have great coverage of the WC all matches live, highlights, delayed replays, some decent commentry and no $ky involvement.
Check out:
http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/
Even broadcasting it in 3D!

Puts NZ's obsession with egg-chasing to shame......
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:52 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeah and they have the Ashes live, Champions League (live/delayed) and Europa League and reviews of the rest of world football......
And it's all free......
Plus they have Top Gear, etc......
Shows that you can be down under and get decent broadcasting - not from NZ though

Last edited by lardyl; Jun 13th 2010 at 1:37 pm. Reason: from NOT in - you can get SBS IN NZ! Hooray
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:58 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by pestman
.....So lets all paint our faces with the cross,drink shit loads,scream at the TV then blame hmmm well the weather,ball,grass..........anything but the overpaid underperforming players but heck dont worry just a slow start
Nope you really don't know much about football.......get onto Wikipedia it might help you.....
Or you could come and coach it, support it and play it at a real footie club - being in your armchair is better though I suppose.....
Some of us have it in the blood - in the two generations before me we had 1 pro, 1 international and 2 semi-pros......all for English league sides.
Doesn't count for much I suppose as I'm the generation it missed, but it meant that we talked, played and watched the game a little.......
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:43 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Well the other game in Group C shows that Green-itis is contageous, the Algerian keeper seemed to have a mild dose.....poor fella as he made a couple of decent saves.

I'd take issue with the save that Green made in the second half at the near post being world-class or "great" as some have said, it looked like it live from the normal angle but when you looked at it straight on he was pretty lucky to get his arm on the ball and a world class save wouldn't have resulted in the ball bouncing back out over the six yard box in the way it did.

Just my 2 cents on that one.......but let's get behind him and the rest of the team/manager and leave the press to do the player-bashing.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:47 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Tough one now, drop Green and blow any little self belief he has, play James and risk all the usual fears we all have about him or think f**k it I'm going to back a good young un and if it goes wrong at least we haven't taken a backward step. I'm even more concerned about our centre backs, severe lack of pace .....
that's why Fabio is paid more than you or me

yeah, and to think at the last WC we had some of the best (too many in fact) in the world who you'd think would be young enough to carry us through here....Rio was a big big loss.

full backs could be an even bigger problem if Johnson or Cole get injured.....but I'm not thinking about that one
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:50 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lardyl
Nope you really don't know much about football.......get onto Wikipedia it might help you.....
Or you could come and coach it, support it and play it at a real footie club - being in your armchair is better though I suppose.....
Some of us have it in the blood - in the two generations before me we had 1 pro, 1 international and 2 semi-pros......all for English league sides.
Doesn't count for much I suppose as I'm the generation it missed, but it meant that we talked, played and watched the game a little.......
Dear eee me!

whats with all the bad feeling Lardyl twas just an opinion, I dont need Wiki to have one do I?

Thanks for the lesson but played football for years,started running the line at 12 was a reff all around south london parks in the 80's-90's,semi final of met polics 5 a side comp and I can go on adding my dad was an FA Coach so really my whole youth was nothing BUT football.

Great family history you have there by the sound of it though.

However that has NOTHING to do with how crap England are now and have been since,well 66,really.

You can defend them all you want but why cant we ever admit how poor we really are as a team.Overpaid,over rated and always blaming bad luck rather than bad performance.

I hope they do better but based on that and please remember it was the USA! I dont hold out much hope. here's that I am wrong.

right off to wikik land for my next opinion...................
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:50 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
I'd take issue with the save that Green made in the second half at the near post being world-class or "great" as some have said, it looked like it live from the normal angle but when you looked at it straight on he was pretty lucky to get his arm on the ball and a world class save wouldn't have resulted in the ball bouncing back out over the six yard box in the way it did.

I agree....he shouldn't have been beaten at his near post, so to only parry it away ACROSS the goal was very lucky....Had he not got lucky then two mistakes would have cost us even the point we got....

Still Alg - Slo looked poor sides...if we can't beat both these we don't deserve to be there.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:52 pm
Cow on the Beach

How about this for the team against Algeria?

Hart - GK

Johnson - RB
Terry - CB
Dawson - CB - he's the fastest we've got
Cole, A - LB

Barry - DMFD - hope he isn't injured still
Lampard - AMFD
Cole, J - LM - played there with success in the last WC - and if it doesn't work...swap him with Gerrad
Lennon, RM - better than SWP

Gerrad - CF - just behind Rooney

Rooney - Str
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
I agree....he shouldn't have been beaten at his near post, so to only parry it away ACROSS the goal was very lucky....Had he not got lucky then two mistakes would have cost us even the point we got....

Still Alg - Slo looked poor sides...if we can't beat both these we don't deserve to be there.
See thats my point made quite well by you.

He didnt get lucky he saved the shot,wasn't beaten at the near post and saved the crappy defence who should have cut out the shot. Again what is it with english fans! We should develop a system of play stick to it and let other teams adapt to us rather than over thinking every aspect of each individual game,tired of all the over thinking. End of the day get ball,get towards goal,shoot score,stop them shooting and win!

Except it they were poor.

In contrast did you see Germany? That was a performance from a team with self belife and a passion to win.That is how to attack a game.

Im sure you are all great at fantasy football best stick to that eh!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:26 pm
Cow on the Beach

Originally Posted by pestman

Im sure you are all great at fantasy football best stick to that eh!
If a keeper saves a shot at the near post, the idea is to parry the ball around the near post not across the goal.

Yes Caraghar was slow and beaten....no arguement

...and whilst I enjoy Fantasy Football, I am a UEFA "B" trained coach who has played and coached at a serious level (3rd or 4th tier) in UK, Australia, Germany, UK again and now New Zealand.

Regarding tactics I would invite you to read any number of books regaridng how tactics win games....bet you think catanatio is a type of pasta dish!

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Jun 13th 2010 at 10:46 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Wooly_Cow
If a keeper saves a shot at the near post, the idea is to parry the ball around the near post not across the goal.

Yes Caraghar was slow and beaten....no arguement

...and whilst I enjoy Fantasy Football, I am a UEFA "B" trained coach who has played and coached at a serious level (3rd or 4th tier) in UK, Australia, Germany, UK again and now New Zealand.
Very good then I bow to your coaching skills but have to say the shot was well saved as he wasnt exactly on top of his near post having made the mistake of positioning himself more for a cross than a shot but what do I know!

Fact is we play crap when it comes to the 'big game' unlike the German performance that showed a real desire.

Lets hope Im made to totaly eat my words after the next England game where they will show class and skill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.