Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

World Cup - Merged Threads

World Cup - Merged Threads

Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:44 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: World cup reporting in NZ?

Originally Posted by colandros
Funny but this thread isnt about whats happening in 2011, if you want to discuss that start a thread.
I'm fed up with rugby types highjacking football threads. If we wanted to discuss rugby
we'd start a rugby thread.
I couldnt give a toss what happens in 2011, I have absolutely zero interest in rugby which is why
I dont comment in threads on the subject.
I know its all light hearted but it ticks me off

No one can grumble about their country not reaching the finals. Yes some teams on paper
look like they get an easier route to the finals but NZ are bo meens a football nation
which was something that was highlighted when they played the 2 playoff matches against Bahrain.
Bahrain are little fish in the football world but they made NZ work VERY hard for a result
and the kiwis only won by 1 goal over the 2 games.
It could be argued that Scotland should easilly have beaten Macedonia and Iceland both home and away
which would seen them qualify but they didnt capitalise on their chances and are now watching the finals on tv
Sky TV are showing every game on the finals live and tvnz are also showing a few games.
There isnt the same hype or build up down here, kiwis find it hard to get excited about anything
and they havent got a clue when it comes to football culture, The game here rates below rowing and netball
so the natives are never going to get worked up about the events in south africa.
We've just watched the 1st England game that was on at 6.30am. My wife has left town for the night
and i've had 6 british mates round to watch the game with a full english thrown in at half time.
i dont know of any pubs that are screening the games near me so we'll be watching them all from home
on the 42" screen with full surround sound turned up high
then why did you move to nz if you still support england, if you do something you should give that your full support .,
like you say it is only light hearted banter, but you have turned it into something else,

and after last night they will be lucky to make it past the first round????????
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
Sky TV are showing every game on the finals live and tvnz are also showing a few games.
There isnt the same hype or build up down here, kiwis find it hard to get excited about anything
and they havent got a clue when it comes to football culture, The game here rates below rowing and netball
so the natives are never going to get worked up about the events in south africa.
It's quite interesting really, where I am working at the moment I sit with around 10 Kiwis at break times & out of them only a couple prefer rugby to football. The others are really into the English Prem. & really looking forward to the World Cup. Most have kids who play football & not Rugby
Our kids school has 1 Rugby team, but 3 football teams.
NZ, a Rugby Nation, in the media's eyes maybe, but I'm not so sure
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump
then why did you move to nz if you still support england, if you do something you should give that your full support .,
like you say it is only light hearted banter, but you have turned it into something else,

So say you were a staunch Liverpool fan for 40 years & moved to Manchester you should become a United fan....rubbish

They'll make it past the 1st round, no probs, that was the tricky one. Even though it wasn't brilliant, I think that's the best opening match for England I've seen for 40 years
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Meat Pie Sausage Roll Come On England Give Us A Goal

Originally Posted by pestman
please why oh why are we ever suprised with an England performance like the one today.

We are crap!

Typical really spend years talking about it,planning it,pay a fortune to players and then they dont bother to turn up AGAIN!

Let not forget this was the USA! Always someone elses fault!
Don't forget they are ranked 14th in the world, only 6 below England!!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mickey_d
So say you were a staunch Liverpool fan for 40 years & moved to Manchester you should become a United fan....rubbish

They'll make it past the 1st round, no probs, that was the tricky one. Even though it wasn't brilliant, I think that's the best opening match for England I've seen for 40 years
i never mentioned Liverpool or man u,
i was talking about countries, its a bit like moving abroad and living in a Brit community, and it did start as a bit of banter, but people seem to be getting on there high horse??????????????????
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

i never mentioned Liverpool or man u,
i was talking about countries, its a bit like moving abroad and living in a Brit community, and it did start as a bit of banter, but people seem to be getting on there high horse??????????????????
I will not support Australia against England in any sporting contest, it's The Rule.

And it has absolutely NOTHING to do with where you plan on spending the rest of your life/raising your family/paying your taxes.

If I were to suddenly swap from England to Australia I would be ridiculed by every Aussie sports fan I know.

This does not mean I cannot support and enjoy the success of an Australian team ... I have and will continue to ... cricket is hard though, there is something ingrained about wanting an Aussie cricket side to lose against all-comers ... but NEVER against the country of my birth.

And, no, I did not enjoy the rugby last night and yes, I was painfully embarressed by the fact that England brought along a scrum and very little else.

And hey, go the All Whites, I hope they rattle a few cages too
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:15 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd have to disagree with you there. You can live anywhere in the world you choose, but you're still English when it comes to the Footie World Cup! Until they're out, then if NZ are still in it you can become a Kiwi for the remainder. Once they're out you're buggered!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Did John Terry play ??????? I think he touched the ball twice - but there was the up side - Beckham still looks soooooo lush even sat on the bench
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:53 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
well Capelo has probably blown his chance of blooding Hart (with this result keeping the pressure on) so he's in a corner on this position now.....could he risk Hart??

maybe
Tough one now, drop Green and blow any little self belief he has, play James and risk all the usual fears we all have about him or think f**k it I'm going to back a good young un and if it goes wrong at least we haven't taken a backward step. I'm even more concerned about our centre backs, severe lack of pace .....
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:03 am
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to NZ has nothing to do with sport to be honest mate, I'm proud to support England but that doesnt mean I want to live there. You should never forget your roots, doesn't mean you can't embrace where you are.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:33 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Moving to NZ has nothing to do with sport to be honest mate, I'm proud to support England but that doesnt mean I want to live there. You should never forget your roots, doesn't mean you can't embrace where you are.
The Crown & Badger in Tauranga are showing the England match's
I have sent 6 NZ car flags back to the UK at a cost of $48 postage just to show NZ are taking part
I love my football and I am keen for both England and NZ to do well
but i think we ( England ) are all hype and no b******s
and it looks like we need a decent goalkeeper
good luck to both teams
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I'd have to disagree with you there. You can live anywhere in the world you choose, but you're still English when it comes to the Footie World Cup! Until they're out, then if NZ are still in it you can become a Kiwi for the remainder. Once they're out you're buggered!
Ditto
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And ditto the above again!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Thats more like it a bit of dissent amongst the supports.
We'll meet under the arches after the game and sort it
out F Troop style.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:46 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bolton1
Did John Terry play ???????
I think he was playing away ... boom, boom ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.