Reload this Page >

Working holiday visa confusion

Working holiday visa confusion

Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:56 am
Just Joined

mrs.s is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Working holiday visa confusion

Hi everyone,

I'm a British citizen living in London and my husband is an Indian citizen living in India.

We got married last year. I really want to go to NZ on a working holiday visa with him but it looks like he can't apply for it because he's from India.

Can someone please tell me if there's a way for him to come with me on working holiday visa?

Or does he have to apply for a visitor visa instead?

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 2:07 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Working holiday visa confusion

There is no working holiday visa scheme for India.

Yes, he would apply for a visitor visa.

You each apply for your own visas. I would suggest that it may look a little odd if you have a WHV and your husband a visitor visa only.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS
There is no working holiday visa scheme for India.

Yes, he would apply for a visitor visa.

You each apply for your own visas. I would suggest that it may look a little odd if you have a WHV and your husband a visitor visa only.
Oh I would love it if he could also apple for the WHV.

I guess I might have to go there first and then get him to apply fora visitors visa to come stay with me.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that visitors on a visit visa can only visit for max 9 months in any 18 month period . Not sure personally how immigration need to be convinced someone would be a genuine tourist for 9 months straight given they cannot of course work.

Plus as sure you have read a WHV for UK participants can be 12-23 months but can only work for 12 months. Add to that and others can comment the cost of living in NZ for UK people can be a bit of a shock especially if on a WHV surviving on probably casual survival jobs so need to be financially set before embarking on a WHV especially to support two people.

Last edited by PB65; Oct 16th 2017 at 5:51 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 6:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the 9 months is for those coming from certain countries.

https://www.govt.nz/browse/immigrati...visitors-visa/

please check this out as I do not believe is on the waiver list
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PB65
Be aware that visitors on a visit visa can only visit for max 9 months in any 18 month period . Not sure personally how immigration need to be convinced someone would be a genuine tourist for 9 months straight given they cannot of course work.

Plus as sure you have read a WHV for UK participants can be 12-23 months but can only work for 12 months. Add to that and others can comment the cost of living in NZ for UK people can be a bit of a shock especially if on a WHV surviving on probably casual survival jobs so need to be financially set before embarking on a WHV especially to support two people.
I'm self-employed and by the time we apply next year, I should be earning more than enough per month for both of us to live comfortably without working.

100-120K (NZ) per year should do it for both of us right?

My long-term goal for NZ is to apply for an entraprenur visa (500K+ investment) .

My husband can also look for work there to apply for a work visa once his visitor visa duration is over. I hope.

Too many dreams and ambitions here...
Old Oct 16th 2017, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I believe the 9 months is for those coming from certain countries.

please check this out as I do not believe is on the waiver list
yeah it applies to husband, unfortunately, because he's from India.

I (British citizen) can go there without any visas for 6 months, but I'm planning (hoping) to go on working holiday visa sometime next year.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:24 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrs.s
I'm self-employed and by the time we apply next year, I should be earning more than enough per month for both of us to live comfortably without working.
You still need a route to a residence visa ready for the expiry of the WHV - what route are you thinking for that?

India is on Immigrations radar due to widespread qualification fraud, expect your husbands applications to be scrutinised on that basis, generally NZ wants immigrants who can/will contribute to the economy, if you both appear to just want to reside (ie not partake in the local economy by working), here then you may find that more difficult.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by simonsi
You still need a route to a residence visa ready for the expiry of the WHV - what route are you thinking for that?

India is on Immigrations radar due to widespread qualification fraud, expect your husbands applications to be scrutinised on that basis, generally NZ wants immigrants who can/will contribute to the economy, if you both appear to just want to reside (ie not partake in the local economy by working), here then you may find that more difficult.
One of the main reasons why we want to live in NZ is because of the agricultural opportunities it has to offer. Agricultural jobs are also on the longterm skill shortage list so I'm hoping to start a farm-based business there.

Once we have enough money saved up, I'm hoping to either buy a farmland and start my own farm business or buy an already established one.

Starting a farm-based business that will employ at least 3-4 NZ Citizens is my long-term goal. That will help us with the entrepreneur (Residency) route.

I'm desperately waiting for the day I can wave goodbye to the crowded city life here and do farming for food/business. Also sick of the alarming rate of acid attacks, murders, and rapes here. *_*
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Do you have any actual farm management experience or qualifications ?

TBH I don't think fetching up here as husband and wife , one on a UK WHV with a UK passport and one on a visitor visa with an Indian passport is going to look too good at immigration. They just might question your intentions as for both visas then intention is to leave not remain.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:46 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

One of the main reasons why we want to live in NZ is because of the agricultural opportunities it has to offer. Agricultural jobs are also on the longterm skill shortage list so I'm hoping to start a farm-based business there.

Once we have enough money saved up, I'm hoping to either buy a farmland and start my own farm business or buy an already established one.

Starting a farm-based business that will employ at least 3-4 NZ Citizens is my long-term goal. That will help us with the entrepreneur (Residency) route.

I'm desperately waiting for the day I can wave goodbye to the crowded city life here and do farming for food/business. Also sick of the alarming rate of acid attacks, murders, and rapes here. *_*
All of which takes time. I can't see how you expect to do this on the WHV and or a visit visa timescale TBH.

If you are expecting to save up the $500k while here and not on a residency class visa then I think you may need to seriously reassess how this is going to work for you, I can't see it with what you have said so far.

For example if you intend to earn $120k per year then you might save $50k per year, you will need 10yrs to save the $500k for the entrepreneur visa but that won't happen as you will need to leave 8yrs earlier...you also need to convince INZ that you have the skills to make the visa a success...
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:42 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as others have said your ideas are not going to be straight forward.
firstly your are not living as husband and wife, marriage certificate and children are not enough for Immigration to accept you are in a day to day relationship.

You OH cannot get a work visa here unless he has some qualifications that NZ are looking for. Please look at the new criteria for applications that came into force in August.
WHV will not afford you to be able to work more than 12 months.

Investment is an option if you have a minimum of $3m invested for 4 year period, and you also need minimum of 3 years business experience. You also can only invest in what Immigration sees as an "acceptable"
investment.
"Be capable of a commercial return under normal circumstances.
Be invested in New Zealand in New Zealand currency.
Have the potential to contribute to New Zealand’s economy.
Not be for the personal use of the investor"

taken from: https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/in.../investor-visa
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:49 am

This all goes on here, except for the acid attacks but guessing that won't be long. Also P use if far more prevalent here and young suicide is a major problem and one of the highest, I believe, in the developed world, along with poor mental health options. No fault really of the departments just lack of money to fund it all properly. but again this a world wide problem.
Farming also has it owns issues with water contamination, disease and various other problems. I would suggest you look at some farming sites/journals/blogs to see what farmers on the ground are experiencing along with looking into the Governments reports on farming issues and criteria.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I missed it but did the OP say whether they have actually visited NZ and had a reality check on their ‘dream’ ? If not that seems to be something the OP and other half should do to see beyond the glossy tourist videos .

Add to that persuading immigration that the OPs other half (visa required) can somehow justify even the full 3 months as a tourist in the country will likely be a challenge that intentions are to outstay any visit and basically plan to live in NZ not just visit as a tourist, given the OPs WHV status.

Note that having a WHV does not provide any support for a spouse visit visa

As for the crime wave the OP is quoting maybe that applies to the area where the OP lives in the UK but for sure cannot be said for the whole of the UK and all countries have their share of crime and gangs, NZ included in some areas, just on a much lower scale .

Last edited by PB65; Oct 17th 2017 at 5:46 am.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to share your thoughts and advice for me here.

I just wanted to see if there was a chance for him to come with me on WHA that's all.

It's going to be tough but New Zealand is where my heart has been for the past couple of years and I'm determined to do whatever it takes (legally ofc) to be there with husband.

At the end of the day, it all boils down to the will of God for me. If he wants us to be there, he will turn all our impossibilities into possibilities because he's done it many times before.

And if/when that happens, I'll be sure to drop in here to give an update.

God bless you all. tc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.