Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work Permit - New Zealand

Work Permit - New Zealand

Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit - New Zealand

Originally posted by Pippa
We went to the New Zealand Expo in London last weekend which had stands from job agencies, NZIS, banks etc etc.
Wasn't even aware that this Expo was even on last week
Can people who know that these things are coming up, find the time to post info on when these events are coming up so others can know of them.

I know there's one due in Oct, didn't have a clue there was one last weekend
Old Aug 15th 2003, 5:45 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit - New Zealand

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
Wasn't even aware that this Expo was even on last week
Can people who know that these things are coming up, find the time to post info on when these events are coming up so others can know of them.

I know there's one due in Oct, didn't have a clue there was one last weekend
It was dated 21 Oct 2002 so you didn't miss anything last weekend!

Relax! Have another glass of wine!
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamie Smith
Hi all

I had an opportunity to manage the Q&A session with the Minister at NZAMI conference last week, and the question of coming to NZ on a visitor visa but looking for work came up.

Observartion was that they've just done away with Job Search Visa, so only possible route now is Visitor Visa.

I then mentioned that people have reported being stopped at Immigration when copies of CVs were found in the luggage, giving "clear evidence" that someone wasn't a tourist.

Both the Minister and her policy people rolled their eyes and agreed that of course you can now only come on Visitor Visa, that any intrusion at Immigration is merely an overzealous officer who is misinterpreting policy.

I think best way to handle this is to escalate and ask for the most senior NZIS official present at the time.

If necessary refer them to NZIS website with the Q&A sessions of 1 July!

Better still, before visiting NZ, write to the Minister of Immigration, Parliament Building, Wellington (no stamp required) and ask her to confirm that you don't need a special visa to find a job. Of course write early and give your travel date so they can get a reply to you.

The senior policy managers present at Conference then did said that work is being done on new visas for business research (after all, if you want to migrate permanently, well you can't be visitor, can you?!)

And then they said that after 8 years it was time that they revisited the tempoirary visas again.

In light of the total reliance by many countries on visitor visas for job search or business research under new policies, this review is now urgently required lest more overzealous officers undermine the intention of policy.

Don't accept the word of the first NZIS officer you meet, make sure you keep going until you get satisfaction even if the senior officer has to telephone the GM of NZIS at 2am to help you avoid spending the night being questioned in a room at the airport.

Noli illegitimi carborundum (I think...)
Thanks Jamie, That is really worth knowing! I feel a lot better about going thru immigration now, especially as I wanted to pack my portfolio in my baggage, as I didn't want to risk FedEx-ing it.
Cheers

...Darren, sorry, I used an old thread to reply to. Don't want to give you any more stress than necessary!!
Old Nov 21st 2003, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

steve0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jamie Smith

I then mentioned that people have reported being stopped at Immigration when copies of CVs were found in the luggage, giving "clear evidence" that someone wasn't a tourist.

Don't accept the word of the first NZIS officer you meet, make sure you keep going until you get satisfaction even if the senior officer has to telephone the GM of NZIS at 2am to help you avoid spending the night being questioned in a room at the airport.

Noli illegitimi carborundum (I think...)
dont worry, im sure the officers have much more to worry about than your CV in you case. just make sure they miss that 2 kilos of cocaine to fund your first six months!!