Why did you move?

Old Feb 15th 2018, 8:11 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move?

Originally Posted by doyley
I reckon we will be able to do 4 weeks a year back over here for Christmas etc
Hmmm - beware. NZ is a once-in-a-lifetime holiday destination for most due to the cost, length of time needed etc etc.

a) that doesn't change for relatives/friends wanting to come out to you

b) it may become the same for you going back to the UK

I have never met anyone doing such an annual trip, irrespective of apparent finances.
Old Feb 15th 2018, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
I have never met anyone doing such an annual trip, irrespective of apparent finances.
Me neither - and who would want to, the garden would be a jungle by the time they got back. I hate leaving the house for a weekend as there is so much more to do in the garden! People forget how fast things grow with masses of sunlight and rain!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

KOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond reputeKOH2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Me neither - and who would want to, the garden would be a jungle by the time they got back. I hate leaving the house for a weekend as there is so much more to do in the garden! People forget how fast things grow with masses of sunlight and rain!
Unless you escape during the NZ winter (which is what we're planning to do) and come back when the growing season starts
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

We must meet up some time:

My son and family are coming over for three weeks next month (his third visit to NZ in nine years).

We go longhaul offshore once a year in the Winter, this May it is a month in Europe (UK and Germany shopping and relatives) followed by a Danube cruise. Note we are pensioners.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:43 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
We must meet up some time:

My son and family are coming over for three weeks next month (his third visit to NZ in nine years).

We go longhaul offshore once a year in the Winter, this May it is a month in Europe (UK and Germany shopping and relatives) followed by a Danube cruise. Note we are pensioners.
LOL - yes there is a lot you can do without children in tow. Great that your son and family can come out every 3 years ;-)
Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I've just booked what will be my 4th trip back to Blighty in 7 years

Biannual.. ..almost !!

Last edited by Justcol; Feb 16th 2018 at 6:50 am.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

doyley is an unknown quantity at this point

It'll just be a holiday, same as if we went to America or somewhere else long haul, the only difference is the length of the flight.

And finance wise it's a holiday we only have to pay flights for, I have big family who won't let us stay in hotels.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 18th 2018 at 7:47 pm. Reason: quotes
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We also left the UK for similar reasons.... wanted our kids to grow up somewhere safer, less serious crime, less people, less traffic, less time commuting and more time as a family in a country with a much better climate etc etc. Heartbreaking leaving close family behind & you don't half feel guilty taking kids away from Grandparents/Aunts/Uncs/Cousins but you gotta live your own life & for us that meant trying something different and having an adventure no matter what the future held.

It's been a complete success for us.
Started off in Wellington but the Mrs didn't settle and it didn't tick all of our emigration boxes so after 2.5 years we moved 500 kM North to Tauranga to be close to Mt. Maunganui which is just stunning. Bought an acre Rural Residential Section & built a house. Love the area we live, the community, the neighbours, school bus at the gate. It's awesome.

Don't underestimate the costs of hoofing it back to Blighty. We also expected to be able to travel back to the UK for a holiday every year, BUT :-
(1) You'll normally only get 4 weeks per year annual leave in any job unless you are a shift worker, so you may have to take unpaid leave for an extended break.
Some employers may not even allow annual leave longer than 2 weeks. All depends on their specific policies.
Bear in mind there may be periods of the year where mandatory holidays are taken from your leave...i.e. Christmas and New Year when many companies are on shutdown for 2 - 4 weeks.
When you start work, the employer just doesn't give you 4 weeks paid leave. You get it as you earn it so it'll take 12 months of work to earn 4 weeks leave.
(2) It costs a friggin fortune to fly back to the UK. You talking the best part of $2k each for economy no matter whether your an adult or a child.
(3) It's great not having the costs of accommodation because you can stay with family and friends but you'll still spend a fortune because you're on holiday, meeting up with family/friends, hire car, insurance, eating out all the time, doing fun things especially the things you miss because it isn't available in NZ.

We've been here 6 years and have only been back once. Flights for 3 cost us $5900 and we easily mullered through $10k spends for a 3 and a half week trip and it was NO holiday. Pissed us off more than we enjoyed it as everyone wants a piece but don't seem willing to go out their way to see you.
The trip simply not sustainable year on year when you consider the above and the high cost of living here. We had more surplus cash available for travel when we rented here in NZ as you are fixed cost plus utilities more or less BUT you are paying someone else's mortgage so not a good idea long term. Now, since taking on our own mortgage, our outgoings are a lot higher....the mortgage is a few hundred dollars more per week than renting, we have rates to pay, we have additional building insurance to pay plus other outgoings......it all serves to prevent you from those annual trips back to the UK. We simply don't have the cash and what cash we do have we'd rather spend on our life here.
If we had the money we would go back, but unlikely we'll be able to go back now for at least 5 years.....

Am I bothered ? That would be a NO.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There is a confidence bourn of ignorance here
Good luck with you the move I hope it all works out
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:03 pm
It is what it is Member

It'll just be a holiday, same as if we went to America or somewhere else long haul, the only difference is the length of the flight.

And finance wise it's a holiday we only have to pay flights for, I have big family who won't let us stay in hotels.
Good luck, just don't expect trans-Atlantic style flight costs necessarily - an annual trip is unusual (even as evidenced by the several on here who manage trips every two or three years)...

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 18th 2018 at 7:48 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

.....Said a fair few that has gone before you. The reality is that even with the best will in the world it doesn't pan out like that .
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:52 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

The main issue with long-haul trips from NZ (ie back to Europe or East side of the States) is the amount of annual leave that you might not always have. By the time you've taken some leave for other reasons, it only leaves you just enough leave for 3 ish weeks, which I personally wouldn't do back to Europe unless in was 4 weeks minimum. You mention you have kids - where will they go or what will you do for childcare when they are on school holidays? Most parents I know have to take time off, which then eats into your A/L, plus a lot (not all) of companies here have an annual shut down at Xmas so that's another few days, plus a few days to do some local NZ trips to explore the country you've moved to

The time it takes to fly to Europe and back plus jet lag plus fitting in seeing everyone or any places you might want to check out, 2.5/3 weeks just doesn't cut the mustard. Not trying to put a downer on things but a yearly trip to Europe from NZ is pretty ambitious both from a A/L perspective, cost and logistics. Every other year would be a better estimate. Some companies are better than others with unpaid leave and some companies offer 5 weeks A/L after you've been working there a while.

And all those family members and friends who say they will visit tend not to materialize. It feels like something that people say because they feel they should or have to. Again, not trying to put a downer on things but this can be the harsh reality. I love life in NZ but sometimes there are things to consider that you don't think will be a problem and the aforementioned are a couple of those.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 1:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
The main issue with long-haul trips from NZ (ie back to Europe or East side of the States) is the amount of annual leave that you might not always have. By the time you've taken some leave for other reasons, it only leaves you just enough leave for 3 ish weeks, which I personally wouldn't do back to Europe unless in was 4 weeks minimum. You mention you have kids - where will they go or what will you do for childcare when they are on school holidays? Most parents I know have to take time off, which then eats into your A/L, plus a lot (not all) of companies here have an annual shut down at Xmas so that's another few days, plus a few days to do some local NZ trips to explore the country you've moved to

The time it takes to fly to Europe and back plus jet lag plus fitting in seeing everyone or any places you might want to check out, 2.5/3 weeks just doesn't cut the mustard. Not trying to put a downer on things but a yearly trip to Europe from NZ is pretty ambitious both from a A/L perspective, cost and logistics. Every other year would be a better estimate. Some companies are better than others with unpaid leave and some companies offer 5 weeks A/L after you've been working there a while.

And all those family members and friends who say they will visit tend not to materialize. It feels like something that people say because they feel they should or have to. Again, not trying to put a downer on things but this can be the harsh reality. I love life in NZ but sometimes there are things to consider that you don't think will be a problem and the aforementioned are a couple of those.

I have one friend who goes back every 12-18 months but he's the exception. He does link it with a business trip on the odd occasion. Like us there are just the two of them, so no kids to factor in to the equation.
We have been here for 11+ years now and I've been back 4 times, the OH 3 times. Although I'm not working we do fairly well financially as the OH has a good salary, however, the increase in the CoL year on year means that we have less disposable income and ill health over the past couple of years has also eaten into our income. The latter isn't something you can plan for to any great degree unless you have an existing condition.

I was planning to go back for my nephew's wedding in May, only to find out that we weren't actually invited. This was despite being told by my nephew and his fiancee that of course we were invited last July but when I was starting to plan my trip (OH didn't have enough A/L to come too) in October, my s-i-l told me I couldn't come to the wedding because there wasn't enough room for me. They were going to send us an invitation but it wasn't a real one!!!!! So much for my family saying how much they missed us and couldn't wait to see us etc,etc. From various heated messages from both sides, it appears that my brother and his family resent us moving to the other side of the world and not being around to look after my parents. I don't think our situation is in anyway unique to us, I've heard a lot of stories similar to ours.

We have had a couple of friends who have come to stay with us in those 11 years and a couple of friends of friends also. No-one for the past 6 years. Never had any family come to stay - quite grateful now . Had lots of family and friends say they would before we moved here and for a couple of years after but most don't say anything anymore. It's too far and too costly for the majority of them. The costs of having people to stay can be prohibitive, I've heard some real horror stories from some of my friends and we had our own Visitor From Hell back in 2012. So be careful what you wish for.

I love going back to the UK, not least for clothes shopping but there's a whole lot of world out there to see.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 2:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

And to answer your original question......because it seemed like a good idea at the time!
Old Feb 19th 2018, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

ReturningKiwi14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Moved back to NZ for me (after 20 something years in UK), and to NZ for Londoner (born and bred) partner because it was time.
We both wanted a different pace of life and more time together and to do things.
And so far (we got back in July 2017) its panned out well.
We are both happy, making friends and settling in..and enjoying more time (its so quick to go to the supermarket!)
Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.