Reload this Page >

Whitegoods, furniture and other shopping in Wellington

Whitegoods, furniture and other shopping in Wellington

Old Sep 18th 2016, 1:42 am
Just Joined

elainec_nz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whitegoods, furniture and other shopping in Wellington

Hey synthie , welcome to Welly!
Setting up your new home is a crazy time, so concentrate on the essentials, plenty of time to get the nice to have things
I bought my first fridge/freezer from Vinnies charity shop. It lasted almost a year - not bad for $80 & I'm still using the sofa and chair I got for $70. They delivered for free too!

All the big stores will offer delivery but rarely is that free. Most of the removal companies offer a service to pick up / deliver items purchased from Trademe or shops. There's a few man+van services on TradeMe too.

I purchased my car through TradeMe. You may find the quality of cars in NZ is much lower than those compared to Germany & the price will be higher. Do some research on the type of car you want and keep looking, you'll find your bargain buy

I didn't want to commit to a fixed term so signed up to 'Skinny' and have been really happy with the signal and speed. https://www.skinny.co.nz/broadband/
It's been great because I've been able to move around without the hassle of contracts or set up.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

synthie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Elaine,
I tried Skinny but they don't deliver in my area.

Do people have suggestions where to buy a mattress? I saw a couple of shops in Thorndon Quay, is one of those any good?
Thanks!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

elainec_nz is an unknown quantity at this point

There's quite a few bed shops at the top of Thorndon Quay, from $$$$ to $$$.
Last August, I purchased a Queen pine frame and mattress from Bedstop for approx $750 - during a sale on frames.
The Bordeaux cafe makes a nice break between bed hunting
Old Dec 8th 2016, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

El_queenio is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband and I are heading out to Wellington in January so this thread has been very helpful as we will be starting all from scratch. Just arriving with a suitcase each 😬
Old Dec 8th 2016, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

wez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nicewez130 is just really nice

Also, the boxing day sales in New Zealand i found to be very good over there in NZ last year, much better than you get here in UK, it might be worth waiting to see what you can get from Harvey Norman / Noel Leeming etc, they should start advertising their main deals in the next couple of weeks.