Where to live ???

Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:20 am
Just Joined

kyliehair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live ???

I am driving myself mad at the moment trying to find a place to live my husband is over in Christchurch and me and the children are moving over in September but it's so hard to make a decision as to where to settle my OH is living in kaiapoi at the moment but says there's not much going of for the kids I liked the idea of Pegasus but he says it's too far out we have 13 & 15 year old so he thinks we should go more cashmere Burnside avonhead but we don't know if that's any better any help would be greatly appreciated 😀
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live ???

you won't be able to make a decision until you get here and live it. the first place we stayed at seemed fine but then after 3mths the cracks started to appear, unfortunately we bought 6mths in as the house in UK sold. so wished we hadn't. after a year I had totally had enough of the place and just wanted out. took another 6mths and a lose on the house to move somewhere else. take a rental and have a look round various places, renting again if needs be before deciding on a long term place.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:20 am
Just Joined

The only problem with doing that is I don't want to keep moving schools for the kids it's a big enough ask of them at 13&15 to move to the other side of the world never mind keep moving them schools every 6months till we find somewhere if it was just me and my OH it wouldn't be a concern as that's exactly what i would do x
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:58 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

my main reason for moving was the school was just plain awful, so my main point to you would be not to buy anything quickly. both will be going into college so you would need to look at criteria to get them into colleges. it is possible that the college will have a wide range for intake so moving from one suburb to another shouldn't really affect the schooling if you get them into one that they like in the first place
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:18 am
Just Joined

What school was that because I'm really looking for recommendations about them it's hard to get an unbiased opinion as the schools are never going to say we are a rubbish school with horrible kids. I'd ideally like a good high school with nice kids now don't get me wrong I know that no child is an angel all the time but I mean nice polite kids not troublemakers x
Old Jul 20th 2015, 7:22 pm

you don't need to worry about that school as I am on the North Island. theres a ChCh thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...thread-753755/.

ask on there and I am sure someone will be able to give you some information
Old Jul 21st 2015, 12:27 am
jjg
Numpty

jjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of lightjjg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kyliehair
I am driving myself mad at the moment trying to find a place to live my husband is over in Christchurch and me and the children are moving over in September but it's so hard to make a decision as to where to settle my OH is living in kaiapoi at the moment but says there's not much going of for the kids I liked the idea of Pegasus but he says it's too far out we have 13 & 15 year old so he thinks we should go more cashmere Burnside avonhead but we don't know if that's any better any help would be greatly appreciated 😀
Pegasus is quite a commute and I am not sure how good Kaiapoi High is, I believe Rangiora is better.
If you are after a mixed school then Cashmere or Burnside are good schools in nice areas. We looked at both this year for our youngest and he will probably follow his brother to Burnside. We aren't in the catchment area for either so we would have to rely on a ballot or sibling connection.
Hope that helps.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 10:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks it looks like it's going to be cashmere high or burnside high so in there school zones I think xx