When to ship?!?

Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute
Default When to ship?!?

Hi!

Another question from me!

When did you ship your belongings, I'm torn between shipping about 5wks before we leave (we have 4wks furnished accommodated through my husbands work when we land) and hopefully give or take a week our stuff will be arriving around when we need it.

On the flip side what if in that 5wks something changes or happens that affects us going and our stuff is in the middle of the sea!? I can't see that happening but you never know.

So then do we wait until only a couple of weeks before we fly and make do in nz for longer without our own things!?

Thoughts please?

Logistics is making my head hurt!!!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 8:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to ship?!?

Yes.

Its a choice and there are almost the same problems whichever way you do it. Swing vote could go with ship early but it depends on accomodation in the last few weeks in the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We emptied the contents of our house 1st week of Feb, shipped immediately and moved out 1st March arriving on the 9th March. 40ft container of our own and it took the full 12 weeks to arrive plus a week or so till we got the nod from Customs/MPI to arrange dropping off at our chosen destination so that was mid May.
We also sent an airfreight package at the same time that was supposed to take 2 weeks and scheduled to arrive at the same time as we were. It got lost. Should have gone to Wellington but instead sat in Auckland for a week before the airfreight company found it then another week till we got our hands on it in Wellington Grrr!!!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a full container? If not you can't guarantee when it leaves, we learned that once it was all paid! Half our stuff was packed 4 months before and stored while we stayed with my parents, the rest picked up to be shipped about 5 days before hubby left. Thankfully all arrived here before me so I didn't have to unpack, ha ha!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Scottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond reputeScottishedo has a reputation beyond repute

No we don't have a full container worth 🤔🤔
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

nikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond reputenikkijane88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
Different shipping companies may be different, but we were told the container wouldn't leave until it was full. Might be worth checking that with them
Old Aug 15th 2017, 10:40 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scottishedo
Depending on the % of the container you are using it might be worth getting them to quote on a full one, tracking and timing will be <much> more predictable. It isn't unknown for part-loads to have to wait at unexpected intermediate ports for consolidation.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

We have had another think about it and decide to go with the full container.

I'm still not sure about when to ship, the guy from Anglo Pacific said it will be 9 weeks at sea then another up to 2 weeks to clear customs.

I'm tempted to just send it a couple of weeks before we fly and make do over there with the basics after our furnished rental until it arrives.

We are staying with my mother in law this side so that's fine but I think a couple of weeks with us all at hers will be more then enough!!! We are just negotiating entry dates just now with the people who have bought our house.

Thanks for your replies.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think they must be talking worst case scenario - ours went London to Auckland in five weeks and less than a week to process at this end.

We shipped our stuff about two weeks before we left the UK, we then went on a bit of tiki tour around family and stayed in a holiday park for one week before we left. We then had a week stop over in Asia on the way and then went into furnished / serviced apartment for about a week after arriving in Auckland. It all worked out beautifully as we sorted rental place to start the following week, we spent one day cleaning the house and took delivery of new fridge, did some shopping for essentials (kettle and such like) and the container was delivered the very next day.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I think they must be talking worst case scenario - ours went London to Auckland in five weeks and less than a week to process at this end.

We shipped our stuff about two weeks before we left the UK, we then went on a bit of tiki tour around family and stayed in a holiday park for one week before we left. We then had a week stop over in Asia on the way and then went into furnished / serviced apartment for about a week after arriving in Auckland. It all worked out beautifully as we sorted rental place to start the following week, we spent one day cleaning the house and took delivery of new fridge, did some shopping for essentials (kettle and such like) and the container was delivered the very next day.
That sounds perfect!

Which company did you use?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was https://www.whiteandcompany.co.uk/
Old Aug 16th 2017, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Glad you were pleased with them. We found them a nightmare, but I base that on the location as opposed to company as a whole.