Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

When to hand in your notice quandry

When to hand in your notice quandry

Old May 28th 2016, 11:32 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to hand in your notice quandry

MrF flew back for the pack up of the house, coincided with Christmas so that was good, we went and stayed at his parents apartment, longest thee weeks of my life by the end of it but also made leaving easier if you get what I mean.

Even with the two of us there for the packing things got packed that weren't meant to cos we just couldn't be in all the rooms where all the packers were and whilst we were talking to the foreman when they first arrived they dived straight in and I thought they would leave do room by room but they don't.. so if you do have any items that you don't want packed make sure you have them safe somewhere else or clearly marked. They literally pack everything if its not nailed down.

make a decision on when you want things down as this will lessen the stress, I know your wife and child are quite nervous about things so with less to worry about this might help
Old May 30th 2016, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

We packed the house the day we flew out lol. It was meant to be the day before but they forgot it was a bank holiday. So they came at 8 am with 10 guys. Packed up by 2pm. Jumped into a taxi at 2.30, dropped the house keys into the estate agent (house sold) on the way to the airport and flew out about 5.30 I think it was - with 2 toddlers, a buggy and 280 kg of luggage (double allowance singapore air). Most stressful day of my life. Never again.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
I'm relatively flexible on the above. I just want to know others experience of giving notice really.

Good point re saying goodbyes though. Think 2 weeks would be a bit much with my family though!
Depends on relationship with your immediate manager.

The more time they have to recruit and manage the change the better.

I took mine out for a coffee and gave him a heads up that I was giving notice in a months time, and was keen to help him with a healthy transition. While no offer to a new incumbent could be done until my notice was formally submitted, it did not stop us taking time to re-analysis the role and key traits for new applications.