Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What's life like in Henderson, West Auckland?

What's life like in Henderson, West Auckland?

Old Jun 21st 2011, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's life like in Henderson, West Auckland?

Me and the missus moved into our rental last night and haven't really had the time to check the local area out. I'm going to start commuting to work on the train from Sturges Road down into Kingsland, the traffic this morning wasn't good at all so having the option of catching a train is great.

I've heard it's a 'dry'part of town, no bars, no liquor shops and the supermarkets don't sell beer. What's that all about?

Any cheap shops with bargains I should know about?
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:36 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's life like in Henderson, West Auckland?

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've heard it's a 'dry'part of town, no bars, no liquor shops and the supermarkets don't sell beer. What's that all about?
It's complicated. Search for Henderson in this pdf and you'll understand why.

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pages...alealcohol.pdf
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Just saying Hi
I work in Hendo once a week but can't tell you much as I'm at work LOL.
you can buy liquor, just not at the supermarket. I'm a westie too and have managed to make the adjustment. I actually like it and my grocery bill has decreased as I'm not tempted by the cheap wine bargains - I just buy if I really have too so since moving I have gone down from a couple of bottles a week to one bottle every two or three months!

I like the west thoug. Especially for the beaches.
I'm more familiar with the titirangi, new lynn, beaches areas though.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of printing up some...

WEST IS BEST
jafwa

T Shirts at work, think they'll go down well?
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

It basically means the mentality of the locals is that if there is off-licence in visual range, then they have to go and buy three bottles of bourbon each night and demolish it there and then. So the local residents reaction is to restrict alcohol outlets. Very sad and very pathetic.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
It basically means the mentality of the locals is that if there is off-licence in visual range, then they have to go and buy three bottles of bourbon each night and demolish it there and then. So the local residents reaction is to restrict alcohol outlets. Very sad and very pathetic.
Hmmm...interesting perspective. There is good evidence for it working as a public health initiative to reduce harm from drinking
PLUS
The trust that runs the liquor stores have to give back to the community. Example - that all babies born in Waitakere city ( as it was, just to be simple) are given a free car seat, paid for by the trust.

The locals had a chance to vote a few years back as to whether they wanted to keep the status quo or allow more liberal licencing. They chose the status quo. Enlightened thinking in my eyes.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Me and the missus moved into our rental last night and haven't really had the time to check the local area out. I'm going to start commuting to work on the train from Sturges Road down into Kingsland, the traffic this morning wasn't good at all so having the option of catching a train is great.

Any cheap shops with bargains I should know about?
we are in Glen Eden just around the corner and love it.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Hmmm...interesting perspective. There is good evidence for it working as a public health initiative to reduce harm from drinking
How sad.
No-one forces anyone to partake of the alcoholic beverages that are on sale.

I was broughtup in a place that had hundreds of pubs, and we all had fun and enjoyed the variety and culture, and a few beers and a few more on saturday night. Here, its a chuck it down your throat mentality and then come out punching. So sad.