What To Take

Old Jul 28th 2015, 3:58 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What To Take

Take the car!!!!!!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

poppy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Pharmaceuticals = stock up. Get a Dr cover letter - even stuff like paracetamol.
Do you need a doctor's letter to bring in paracetamol? What about antihistamines for hay fever?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppy10
Do you need a doctor's letter to bring in paracetamol? What about antihistamines for hay fever?
I really wouldn't bother stocking up paracetamol as we have them here, but maybe just a packet or two to get you through the first few weeks.

As for the antihistamines - if they are prescription based then yes then stock up and get a doctors note as you will need to register for a GP here which could take a few days/weeks to do.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

poppy10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan

As for the antihistamines - if they are prescription based then yes then stock up and get a doctors note as you will need to register for a GP here which could take a few days/weeks to do.
I buy cetirizine over the counter here - they sell it in supermarkets, no need for a prescription
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Murrayafc is an unknown quantity at this point

Sell the Honda and buy a mint older Audi or land rover and take that over, then sell it here for a nice profit...
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Murrayafc
Sell the Honda and buy a mint older Audi or land rover and take that over, then sell it here for a nice profit...
you will pay custom costs if you sell within 2 or 3 years of it arriving
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:31 am
Just Joined

Murrayafc is an unknown quantity at this point

even with that I saw a free lander on trademe the other day sell for $14K you could buy the same spec car in the UK for about 2,500 pounds.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

OTC meds are a rip off here though - shocking. Paracetamol isn't bad but anything else is extortionate and all branded - very few generics over the counter (OTC).
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Pharmaceuticals = stock up. Get a Dr cover letter - even stuff like paracetamol.
Bought 30 ceterizine antihistamine tablets here for $17.50 (about £7). In UK is £4 for 14 tablets. Dont think it would be wise bringing a bag full of tablets anyway. It has the potential of being a big hassle at customs, even with a doctors covering letter.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you want to bring everything with you???

I cannot recommend enough the experience of buying furniture and goods from Smiths City and Harvey Norman.

Literally, going there and buying all your furniture - only for them to say they need to get it delivered and promise it'll arrive with a fortnight. 8 weeks later, it finally arrives and then they cannot deliver it until a week later (whacking a rip off delivery charge as well). But hey, it's great - you can experience hiring a van from somewhere like Hire Ace and do it yourself. It's great trying to lift a fridge freezer off the van and then move it down to the kitchen. It strengthens your muscles, makes your spine structurally sound it'll survive being crushed by a cruise liner, and gives you a workout that you'll never have anywhere else! Brilliant experience...

On top of that, attempting to put things together with the world class how to do it guide. I guarantee you'll have the time of your life putting things together, noticing plenty of screws/wooden pellets missing - it's part of the world class "she'll be alright" attitude that the world is extremely jealous of. The instruction guide diagrams are so brilliant that a 5 year old would be able to understand where to drill a hole/screw a nail in. Don't worry about the mess and everything being unclear - it's all standard procedure

The whole experience of Harvey Norman and Smiths City makes any Ikea experience like being stuck at Los Angeles Airport for 24 hours.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it's probably cheaper per tonne of stuff to get it shipped from the UK to NZ than it is to get it from Mitre 10 to your home.

We bought and paid for a ton of aggregate and garden landscaping material - naturally assumed due to the bulk that it was going to be delivered. LOL

Until they rang and asked me if I was coming to pick it up? Erm how exactly am I meant to move that lot? Or who could resist such a bargain eh, $106 to have it delivered.
Old Aug 4th 2015, 6:01 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I would echo some of the thoughts on here. Furniture is not great quality and expensive for what it is. With the exception of our well priced bed, sofa and lazy boy we have bought stuff off TradeMe and up-cycled it. Learnt a new skill, keeps me out of trouble and it turns out (much to my surprise) that I am capable of using power tools!
Old Aug 4th 2015, 7:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

...Erm how exactly am I meant to move that lot? Or who could resist such a bargain eh, $106 to have it delivered.
We have had to buy a new cooker. Mine had tried to kill my feet at least 3 times when the oven door decided it couldn't be bothered to keep itself upright and wished to be free of all constraints. Boink. On the deck.
I think it always loathed me . A mutual disrespect.

So. Lovely new cooker Bargain of bargains having bargained the lowest price thing & even better , it was still in the wrappers so not ever out on the store floor as is always the case.

Spoiler:
& price for delivery ? $150 . To have it connected ?

You gotta be kidding me.

Cue: Unfit the van and call on pals in the trade.

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I am capable of using power tools!
What? Of course you are. You were born with this ability.
You are woman !