Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

We're coming back 😊

We're coming back 😊

Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

c_wal10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We're coming back 😊

Long story short, we've decided that we were much happier in NZ and are going to return.
We left NZ in June 2015. We had residency but because we've been out of the country too long that is now void.
So I have 2 questions:
1) do you have to go through the whole process again or is there another way to apply?
2) do you think immigration will frown upon us as we left and now want to return?
3) husband would be entering nz on work visa, me and 3 kids on visitors visa. We would then launch EOI in the skilled migrant category (husband is a farmer). Last time we had been drawn from the pool by the time our daughter needed to go to school so went on a intrim visa. This time would we need to apply for study visas for the kids until we got selected from the pool?

Hope that makes sense, thanks
Old Jan 7th 2018, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice
Default Re: We're coming back 😊

Originally Posted by c_wal10
Long story short, we've decided that we were much happier in NZ and are going to return.
We left NZ in June 2015. We had residency but because we've been out of the country too long that is now void.
So I have 2 questions:
1) do you have to go through the whole process again or is there another way to apply?
2) do you think immigration will frown upon us as we left and now want to return?
3) husband would be entering nz on work visa, me and 3 kids on visitors visa. We would then launch EOI in the skilled migrant category (husband is a farmer). Last time we had been drawn from the pool by the time our daughter needed to go to school so went on a intrim visa. This time would we need to apply for study visas for the kids until we got selected from the pool?

Hope that makes sense, thanks
Lucky you! We are stuck in London for a few more years!
If you had residency already there is a chance that it can be extended .Give them a call;Immigration Contact Centre on 0508 55 88 55 or 09 914 4100, or for those outside of New Zealand +64 9 914 4100.Good luck!
Old Jan 7th 2018, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Oh wow great I didn't realise. Thank you.
Were you in nz? Hopefully it won't take that long for you
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

leandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really niceleandra21 is just really nice

Oh wow great I didn't realise. Thank you.
Were you in nz? Hopefully it won't take that long for you
Hi,yes we were in Auckland and I can't wait to go back! Give them a call,they are open almost 24/7 so you call them today to get some info.I would just say that you had to come back for family or work reason without going to too much into details .Keep us updated!
Old Jan 7th 2018, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Me either, never wanted to leave. Yes will ring them later on thanks. We came back as I feel pregnant- not planned and husband worried how things would be with no family support near by. Will def keep you updated
Old Jan 7th 2018, 6:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will have to reapply as variations on travel only last 2 years and you have to apply before you leave and met the criteria before you leave.

Section F
You must apply for a second or subsequent resident visa to return to New� Zealand as a resident if:
• you left New� Zealand after the travel conditions on your resident visa expired, or
• you were outside New� Zealand on the date the travel conditions on your resident visa expired.
Your eligibility for a second or subsequent resident visa is based on whether you would have been able to obtain
a permanent resident visa or variation of travel conditions on the date your resident visa expired.

taken from https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1175.pdf
Old Jan 7th 2018, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I think you will have to reapply as variations on travel only last 2 years and you have to apply before you leave and met the criteria before you leave.

Section F
You must apply for a second or subsequent resident visa to return to New� Zealand as a resident if:
• you left New� Zealand after the travel conditions on your resident visa expired, or
• you were outside New� Zealand on the date the travel conditions on your resident visa expired.
Your eligibility for a second or subsequent resident visa is based on whether you would have been able to obtain
a permanent resident visa or variation of travel conditions on the date your resident visa expired.

taken from https://www.immigration.govt.nz/docu...es/inz1175.pdf

Out of interest....Indefinite returning residency, does it last forever? We left NZ in 2013 and thats what we had. If we ever returned would we need to apply again. Many thanks
Old Jan 7th 2018, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Out of interest....Indefinite returning residency, does it last forever? We left NZ in 2013 and thats what we had. If we ever returned would we need to apply again. Many thanks
Give them a call.Did you transfer your Visas to new passports? I just had my returning resident Visa transferred to my new passport and because it was expired they "extended" it as a subsequent resident visa and I was told that there is no finite extensions (so far) as long I renew it before it expires again.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 1:00 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
as long as you got Permanent Resident Visa and not just Resident Visa (with travel conditions) then you would be ok as far I as am aware.

On a resident visa lots of people have been caught out just going on holiday over the period when the visa expires ( leave NZ )and have had problems at customs, so being out of the country or years may well lead to having to reapply. If you don't leave NZ on the Resident Visa then it doesn't come up as an issue. Just my thoughts on it.

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jan 8th 2018 at 1:03 am.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I got held in 'straya cos i was not far from having to apply for prv. The system takes that date and it sets off alarm bells (bit like travelling to a country with 1 month left on its expiry left). Took soooo many phone calls and got held for 20-30 mins no matter how many times you explain the stupid resident (travel restrictions) and the prv rules/process ha
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

I have spoken to immigration. They have confirmed that it may be possible to have our residency visa renewed. They have explained forms I need to fill in, what we would have to do and the possible outcomes- can be granted or denied. The box to tick on the form says:
"I held a resident visa but it expired because I was outside New Zealand without valid travel conditions, therefore I am applying for a second or subsequent resident visa."
Old Jan 8th 2018, 6:21 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I have spoken to immigration. They have confirmed that it may be possible to have our residency visa renewed. They have explained forms I need to fill in, what we would have to do and the possible outcomes- can be granted or denied. The box to tick on the form says:
"I held a resident visa but it expired because I was outside New Zealand without valid travel conditions, therefore I am applying for a second or subsequent resident visa."
Yay! Fingers crossed...
Old Jan 8th 2018, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular