Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wellington - Magnificent!!!!

Wellington - Magnificent!!!!

Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wellington - Magnificent!!!!

Ok, so the cricket was an embarrassment but being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, I am used to the sporting side of things attempt to ruin a weekend away. 90% of the time, a small disappointment doesn't ruin fabulous visits to fabulous places. So, for any on here that has not visited Wellington for at least a weekend

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

So where do I start? Well being someone sharp on the pennies, I decided to take the Interislander from Picton to Wellington at $200 instead of forking out around $600 for air fares. Overall, we definitely saved since the fuel consumption is quite easy on non stop routes from Pegasus to Picton.

The drive from Kaikoura onwards to Picton is of natural beauty. You have places where you can stop over and take pictures of seals in their natural habitat, see mountains when approaching Blenheim/Seddon and then so many vinyards - oh my goodness how lucky can one be to have the opportunity to stop and take in this outstanding scenery.

When we got to Picton, we had 2 hours to kill and the walk along Picton harbour is a must for anyone. Where else can you see stunning islands that are the Marlborough Sounds. Where else can you sit outside and have a fabulous French Toast cooked to perfection, and admire the quiet streets on a glorious hot sunny day. It certainly is a lovely place to visit for a weekend is Picton, and those people who have the views up near Queen Charlotte Drive, how jealous one can get of having that to wake up to.

The Interislander itself, well if you ever decide to travel - I thoroughly recommend the Aratere and the Arahura, don't go on the Kaitaki. There seemed to be more space, more seating and more things to do in general on those two ferries. I found the Kaitaki small, lacking in activities for the kids and adults. From memory, the Pride of Cherbourg was dull which has become the Kaitaki so no change there. It's a shame but it does encourage you to look outside and hope you may get a glimpse of wildlife. We actively looked for Albatrosses, Whales, Orcas and Dolphins but bar a Mussel farm near the sounds, we never saw any wildlife on route to Wellington. Such a shame that we missed out but nevermind

Now the negative about the Interislander compared to Bluebridge is the location of the dock in Wellington. If you are driving in the car then it's not too bad but as foot passengers, Bluebridge is closer to the unbelievably fantastic beautiful stunning location that is the waterfront. The Interislander is further north, which is ok but not easy if you are a foot passenger and want to walk into Wellington. It was fine though as we paid a cheap $2 to get from the terminal to the train station.

Onto Wellington train station, was the individual that designed the train station the same that designed London Fenchurch Street? The amazing building certainly reminded me of Fenchurch Street (front side). Even the interior inside reminded me of the station. I took a look at the timetable and was impressed that there is a good opportunity for those that don't want to live in the capital to live north and commute in. Brilliant!

Walking along Featherston Street, I was majorly impressed with a couple of things - the high raised buildings, the ladies replacing stickman for the green light at certain traffic lights, but even more trolleybuses! Seeing buses change from Diesel fumes to Electricity going along Golden Mile (that's the station to Willis Street via Lambton Quay for those not familiar with the place), what a great way to encourage a green city. I've heard they're being scrapped though which is a shame on the eye but apparently Wellington council are getting in hybrid electric-diesel buses. Lead the way Wellington!

It was lovely walking in a place that felt like a proper CBD. Walking past rows of shops, bars, tourist attractions - it certainly had that homely feel that Auckland has. It definitely is a city place for those that enjoy living in cities. I even bought from Kirkaldie and Stains, what a huge shop that place is. It reminded me of Selfridges in London, a shop that one could easily spend an hour wondering round, or in my wifes case - 4 hours.

So onto the world cup event, now this really should have a separate thread congratulating the magnificent job volunteers have done. Like the Foo Fighters gig, I got there with about 5 minutes to spare before the start, but what a fantastic job the volunteers did in getting people through, getting tickets and bags checked - I can't describe in words how fabulous it was. You got through within 5 minutes, queues formed nicely, staff having smiles on their face - I even praise the volunteers at Hagley Oval as well. What a fantastic job, giving up your own time, not being paid to do a service any large corporation would be proud of. The Westpac stadium or in my opinion, the custard bowl was different - it didn't have that plasticly feel that new football stadiums have back in England. I enjoyed the walkway from the train station to the ground, and admiring the unbelievable views of the waterfront, one side and then housing on hills on the other. Just great

Anyway Saturday was tourist day and first of all - what a magnificent museum Wellington has. What a place to spend the miserable morning weather wise in. I absolutely loved walking round learning about Oceanic life, but best of all - was the Air New Zealand 75 exhibition they've got. Seeing the cabin uniforms from start to now, sitting on the first plane seats, experiencing take off, landing, relaxing in business class - and then being reminded of economy seats. Just fantastic! What a showing they've put for visitors, it makes you proud to be here, that your national carrier can do a thing like that in a small space.

From there, we went up the Cable Car to the Botanical Gardens and the Observatory. It's a lovely walk from the museum to Lambton quay if you go via Manners Street. We were a bit skeptical because of the weather but it cleared up and my goodness, what amazing stunning views you get from the top! It reminded me of Queenstown. The cable car was $10 return I think or $7.50 one way. Bargain!!!! The botanical gardens are amazing, seeing wonderful trees and plants. Unfortunately for Wellington, the gardens cannot rival Hagley Parks but it still was amazing. We went to the observatory as well which if you are really into Space, is worth the $10. If not, you may want to think about going in. I enjoyed it but the wife didn't. There was also the cable car museum which was very interesting up there and also other locations to take photographs of the unbelievable scenery and the amazing views from the top.

Now as I've discovered with NZ, it's hard to find a rubbish restaurant here and the Chinese we went to on Dixon Street lived up to its reputation. We paid $23 per person for a set meal and it was beautiful. From there, we went down to the market on Cuba Street - with the lanterns and many Chinese foods to be bought. Brilliant to have it in the location it was.

Before we departed the following day, we spent the morning/afternoon on the waterfront before visiting the Chinese Government buildings. Wow, the waterfront!!! What can I say!! It is amazing. I absolutely loved walking from there, past the TSB arena and then en route to the government building. So many amazing views to stop at, the shops as well in their unique locations, fabulous bars and restaurants. It was almost as if I was back in Cape Town. It is a must for anyone that visits Wellington - you have got to go on the waterfront.
The government buildings are well, different. You can do a public tour if you like but we didn't have the time.

Nevertheless, we are so lucky to have such a wonderful capital with such fantastic amazing things to do there. What a place!!!!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 8:39 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wellington - Magnificent!!!!

That's why we moved here!
It's great to see such a lovely positive post about my chosen home city!
Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:11 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that TomH! I'm heading up to the North Island on Saturday, first stop Wellington. We decided to take the ferry rather than fly, the cost of flights plus car hire was too expensive. I've been here two years now and haven't yet been to the North Island to say I am excited is an under statement
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Great post - makes me very homesick! Glad you enjoyed your visit to Wellington.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:26 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Thanks for that TomH! I'm heading up to the North Island on Saturday, first stop Wellington. We decided to take the ferry rather than fly, the cost of flights plus car hire was too expensive. I've been here two years now and haven't yet been to the North Island to say I am excited is an under statement
make sure you travel the Forgotten Highway....
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:28 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

The Forgotten World Highway?
Amazing road but make sure you have a car with good suspension
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

I was there for the Cricket too - didn't spend a great deal of time exploring as I literally FIFOed for the match but enjoyed the bits I did see. I can recommend the pancakes at Sophia Browns on Cuba Street for any hungry tourist types. Tom you've inspired me to go back and have a good browse around. It did feel very TALL after so long in Chch.
Old Feb 23rd 2015, 11:58 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
The Forgotten World Highway?
Amazing road but make sure you have a car with good suspension
It was magic on our motorbikes...
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Cricket?

What Cricket?

Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Cricket?

What Cricket?

Training practice - live

Here we go, here's a short pitched bowl for you to smack a boundary off. Can you do that???

Ok mr fielder, are you ready? I'll chip a shot to you for some catching practice

T'was a very good training session. Never been to one that has a few thousand voices there.
Old Feb 24th 2015, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tom H
the ladies replacing stickman for the green light at certain traffic lights,
These ladies are Suffragettes to mark a recent anniversary.

When we moved to Welly, I wasn't sold, I'm not a city a girl, grew up in London then moved to the country, but I love Welly for all the reasons you spoke of and more. We live 20mins North and I love going into the CBD
Last week we were down South, Nelson, Hanmer & Christchurch, whilst the journey was stunning and I love Nelson and hammer, I feel this is for a holiday, not to live there. We now love going to events at the Westpac, festival days and events throughout the city.
And yes on the ferry home I said, can't wait to get home, so glad we ended up in wellington
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:05 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tom H;11574228]

Golden Mile (that's the station to Willis Street via Lambton Quay for those not familiar with the place),
You went out of your way there.

It's a lovely walk from the museum to Lambton quay if you go via Manners Street.
The National Office of the Government Department my husband works in is in Manners Street. Those street names are familiar to him and me.

The government buildings are well, different. You can do a public tour if you like but we didn't have the time.
I did it last year on a day trip from Palmerston North (well there's only one train a day from PN, so I better make the most of it !) It was free entry and a really interesting look around all of the government and parliament buildings. Well, it was to me anyway ! I did loads of other things on my day out in Wellington too. Glad someone else has the same good opinion of Wellington train station as I do. It's clean and not overcrowded. Even the rush hour is cool in the coolest little capital ! The New World metro there reminded me of the Marks and Spencer's at Paddington train station.

Portlander is the restaurant at the Rydges Hotel, the food is nice in there.

Nevertheless, we are so lucky to have such a wonderful capital with such fantastic amazing things to do there. What a place!!!!!!!
Yup, can't disagree with that. It took me a while to get to know Wellington, but, as odd is this sounds, we seem to be on good terms with each other.

BTW, the Westpac Stadium in Wellington is know as the cake tin. Why do you think of it as the custard bowl ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 24th 2015 at 1:20 am. Reason: Punctuation
Old Feb 24th 2015, 1:09 am
Happy in Wellington

It has yellow seats?
Old Feb 24th 2015, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so the cricket was an embarrassment but being a Sheffield Wednesday supporter, I am used to the sporting side of things attempt to ruin a weekend away. 90% of the time, a small disappointment doesn't ruin fabulous visits to fabulous places. So, for any on here that has not visited Wellington for at least a weekend

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

So where do I start? Well being someone sharp on the pennies, I decided to take the Interislander from Picton to Wellington at $200 instead of forking out around $600 for air fares. Overall, we definitely saved since the fuel consumption is quite easy on non stop routes from Pegasus to Picton.

The drive from Kaikoura onwards to Picton is of natural beauty. You have places where you can stop over and take pictures of seals in their natural habitat, see mountains when approaching Blenheim/Seddon and then so many vinyards - oh my goodness how lucky can one be to have the opportunity to stop and take in this outstanding scenery.

When we got to Picton, we had 2 hours to kill and the walk along Picton harbour is a must for anyone. Where else can you see stunning islands that are the Marlborough Sounds. Where else can you sit outside and have a fabulous French Toast cooked to perfection, and admire the quiet streets on a glorious hot sunny day. It certainly is a lovely place to visit for a weekend is Picton, and those people who have the views up near Queen Charlotte Drive, how jealous one can get of having that to wake up to.

The Interislander itself, well if you ever decide to travel - I thoroughly recommend the Aratere and the Arahura, don't go on the Kaitaki. There seemed to be more space, more seating and more things to do in general on those two ferries. I found the Kaitaki small, lacking in activities for the kids and adults. From memory, the Pride of Cherbourg was dull which has become the Kaitaki so no change there. It's a shame but it does encourage you to look outside and hope you may get a glimpse of wildlife. We actively looked for Albatrosses, Whales, Orcas and Dolphins but bar a Mussel farm near the sounds, we never saw any wildlife on route to Wellington. Such a shame that we missed out but nevermind

Now the negative about the Interislander compared to Bluebridge is the location of the dock in Wellington. If you are driving in the car then it's not too bad but as foot passengers, Bluebridge is closer to the unbelievably fantastic beautiful stunning location that is the waterfront. The Interislander is further north, which is ok but not easy if you are a foot passenger and want to walk into Wellington. It was fine though as we paid a cheap $2 to get from the terminal to the train station.

Onto Wellington train station, was the individual that designed the train station the same that designed London Fenchurch Street? The amazing building certainly reminded me of Fenchurch Street (front side). Even the interior inside reminded me of the station. I took a look at the timetable and was impressed that there is a good opportunity for those that don't want to live in the capital to live north and commute in. Brilliant!

Walking along Featherston Street, I was majorly impressed with a couple of things - the high raised buildings, the ladies replacing stickman for the green light at certain traffic lights, but even more trolleybuses! Seeing buses change from Diesel fumes to Electricity going along Golden Mile (that's the station to Willis Street via Lambton Quay for those not familiar with the place), what a great way to encourage a green city. I've heard they're being scrapped though which is a shame on the eye but apparently Wellington council are getting in hybrid electric-diesel buses. Lead the way Wellington!

It was lovely walking in a place that felt like a proper CBD. Walking past rows of shops, bars, tourist attractions - it certainly had that homely feel that Auckland has. It definitely is a city place for those that enjoy living in cities. I even bought from Kirkaldie and Stains, what a huge shop that place is. It reminded me of Selfridges in London, a shop that one could easily spend an hour wondering round, or in my wifes case - 4 hours.

So onto the world cup event, now this really should have a separate thread congratulating the magnificent job volunteers have done. Like the Foo Fighters gig, I got there with about 5 minutes to spare before the start, but what a fantastic job the volunteers did in getting people through, getting tickets and bags checked - I can't describe in words how fabulous it was. You got through within 5 minutes, queues formed nicely, staff having smiles on their face - I even praise the volunteers at Hagley Oval as well. What a fantastic job, giving up your own time, not being paid to do a service any large corporation would be proud of. The Westpac stadium or in my opinion, the custard bowl was different - it didn't have that plasticly feel that new football stadiums have back in England. I enjoyed the walkway from the train station to the ground, and admiring the unbelievable views of the waterfront, one side and then housing on hills on the other. Just great

Anyway Saturday was tourist day and first of all - what a magnificent museum Wellington has. What a place to spend the miserable morning weather wise in. I absolutely loved walking round learning about Oceanic life, but best of all - was the Air New Zealand 75 exhibition they've got. Seeing the cabin uniforms from start to now, sitting on the first plane seats, experiencing take off, landing, relaxing in business class - and then being reminded of economy seats. Just fantastic! What a showing they've put for visitors, it makes you proud to be here, that your national carrier can do a thing like that in a small space.

From there, we went up the Cable Car to the Botanical Gardens and the Observatory. It's a lovely walk from the museum to Lambton quay if you go via Manners Street. We were a bit skeptical because of the weather but it cleared up and my goodness, what amazing stunning views you get from the top! It reminded me of Queenstown. The cable car was $10 return I think or $7.50 one way. Bargain!!!! The botanical gardens are amazing, seeing wonderful trees and plants. Unfortunately for Wellington, the gardens cannot rival Hagley Parks but it still was amazing. We went to the observatory as well which if you are really into Space, is worth the $10. If not, you may want to think about going in. I enjoyed it but the wife didn't. There was also the cable car museum which was very interesting up there and also other locations to take photographs of the unbelievable scenery and the amazing views from the top.

Now as I've discovered with NZ, it's hard to find a rubbish restaurant here and the Chinese we went to on Dixon Street lived up to its reputation. We paid $23 per person for a set meal and it was beautiful. From there, we went down to the market on Cuba Street - with the lanterns and many Chinese foods to be bought. Brilliant to have it in the location it was.

Before we departed the following day, we spent the morning/afternoon on the waterfront before visiting the Chinese Government buildings. Wow, the waterfront!!! What can I say!! It is amazing. I absolutely loved walking from there, past the TSB arena and then en route to the government building. So many amazing views to stop at, the shops as well in their unique locations, fabulous bars and restaurants. It was almost as if I was back in Cape Town. It is a must for anyone that visits Wellington - you have got to go on the waterfront.

Ha, so good to see thru those rose tinted glasses!

TBH I think Wellington has tidied up a bit in the last few years, quite a bit of "earthquake strengthening" has been going on, and a lot of buildings have been given a lick of paint as well.

The weather has been pretty good for the last month or two, and Wellington certainly can look good when its like that
Old Jun 5th 2015, 8:44 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I even bought from Kirkaldie and Stains...
Should be some good deals now they are finally going out of business.