Reload this Page >

Welding working holiday?

Welding working holiday?

Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

jim79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Welding working holiday?

Hi,

Just looking around to see what options we have... I'm 40 with a couple of years experience as a welder, city and guilds level 2 and 3 in mig/tig. My wife works as an admin for the local council. We're looking at the possibility of moving to NZ for 6 months, working for three and traveling the rest. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks,

James
Old Nov 1st 2017, 7:34 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Welding working holiday?

the BUNAC visa which I thought might give an option is only open to 18-35 year olds. Welder is on the Canterbury skill shortage list but with all the paperwork and costs I really don't see that the hassle and cost is worth just 3 months worth of work.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely.
Your age means you'd have to go for a temporary work visa and you won't get one of those without a written job offer. No employer is gonna give you a job for under 12 months work and any offer would have to be for at least 12 months in order to be eligible for the visa.
Seems like a heck of a lot of hassle for a 6 month work/travel dream.
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 8:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Just come for a holiday
Old Nov 2nd 2017, 9:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jim79
Hi,

Just looking around to see what options we have... I'm 40 with a couple of years experience as a welder, city and guilds level 2 and 3 in mig/tig. My wife works as an admin for the local council. We're looking at the possibility of moving to NZ for 6 months, working for three and traveling the rest. Does anybody know if this is possible?

Thanks,

James
Not really to be honest. Better off to work the extra months in the UK and save more for a good long trip.

If you are wanting to do a bit more than just holiday or perhaps ease the costs a little then you could look at Wwoofing
Here is another similar set up Helpx

Come back to us with your thoughts.